Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Elizabeth Warren v. Scott Brown thread

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    My time in NYC makes it impossible for me to vote for Booker or Gillibrand. When NY/NJ senators are speaking to their own voters, they are at their most insane. Warren and Sanders are nonstarters. I could probably vote for Biden. At this point if it is anyone else vs trump I'll go third party for the second time in my life (and in back to back elections!).

Maybe Bloomberg will get in the race.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I’d vote for Bloomberg, but first I’d buy an eight year supply of Mexican Coca Cola.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    What about Beto? That dude can raise money and seems like a team player! He is like an Hispanic version of Obama.
    Love his breakfast burritos even if I know full well I'm going to pay for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Love his breakfast burritos even if I know full well I'm going to pay for it later.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Please make it Biden. I can't stand Spartacus.
    who is spartacus?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    bacon and egg + a horchata. yes plz senor.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    bacon and egg + a horchata. yes plz senor.
    very solid order
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    very solid order
    And then sometimes eventually not so solid.

IMG_0044.jpg

She persists!

The 1/1024th native american heritage has been solidified in the conservative circles, even though it does not represent what Warren's test determined at all. Trump has, of course, masterfully played on it. Warren simply cannot win on this issue. If she is going to have a national political future, she needs to drop anything involved about her heritage.

Here's a thread that touches on the ignorance of the media handling this case:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The 1/1024th native american heritage has been solidified in the conservative circles, even though it does not represent what Warren's test determined at all. Trump has, of course, masterfully played on it. Warren simply cannot win on this issue. If she is going to have a national political future, she needs to drop anything involved about her heritage.

Here's a thread that touches on the ignorance of the media handling this case:

The Elizabeth Warren situation certainly highlights much of the absurdity of identity preferences included in the Affirmative Action agenda. Attempting to take into account historical disadvantages when evaluating folks for jobs, college admissions etc sounds real good- but in application it is a bit more difficult. How do folks fairly really evaluate the negative impact if historical disadvantages when doing little more than asking about your identity? It is absurd. Whatever her real percentage of Native American, I do not believe she was raised in the abject and hopeless situations one finds on many Reservations and which is the logic behind identity preferences. She did not suffer from the disadvantages the preferences she took advantage of are meant to correct. I do hope this negatively impacts popular opinion on the fairness and necessity of these programs. Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    The Elizabeth Warren situation certainly highlights much of the absurdity of identity preferences included in the Affirmative Action agenda. Attempting to take into account historical disadvantages when evaluating folks for jobs, college admissions etc sounds real good- but in application it is a bit more difficult. How do folks fairly really evaluate the negative impact if historical disadvantages when doing little more than asking about your identity? It is absurd. Whatever her real percentage of Native American, I do not believe she was raised in the abject and hopeless situations one finds on many Reservations and which is the logic behind identity preferences. She did not suffer from the disadvantages the preferences she took advantage of are meant to correct. I do hope this negatively impacts popular opinion on the fairness and necessity of these programs. Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
    I agree with a lot of this. I was about to say 'as it pertains to Warren', as I considered her definitely not disadvantaged. Then I realized I didn't know any of her background, so I looked it up. Sounds like she was raised in a lower/middle income family. I'm still not sure if her stated heritage helped her career. Apparently the Globe investigated the issue, and they couldn't find any evidence that her stated heritage helped her at Harvard. It almost sounds like Harvard was using it more to help their credentials, rather than the other way around. Who knows.

I should stop, I'm sounding like a Warren apologist. But I'm reacting to how fast her story and the DNA test has been mischaracterized (though she certainly shares some of the blame with her statements), and how solidified it is becoming in certain media. Nothing is true anymore, it's whatever can help a political side that gets trumpeted the loudest.

Ouch...

I am a Native American. I have some questions for Elizabeth Warren

Elizabeth Warren released the results of a DNA test that suggests she has distant Native American heritage -- but that doesn't change anything for me, and other Natives like me, for that matter. My question still stands: Elizabeth Warren, where the hell have you been?

Seriously, let's not waste any time here, because I have a lot of questions.

Why didn't she say anything about the literal attacks on human rights and treaty violations during our fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota in 2016? While water protectors were being shot with water from cannons in freezing temperatures, while dogs were set on Natives protecting their ancestors' graves, and while Natives and allies were locked into "dog kennels," Warren's silence was deafening. While she eventually weighed in with a statement on Facebook, that was rightly and widely dismissed as too little, too late.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't Warren said anything about police brutality in Indian country? Natives are more likely to die at the hands of police then any other demographic, yet for years, her voice -- her allegedly Native voice -- was nowhere to be found.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't she said anything about sexual abuse in Indian country? Native women are 2.5 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than women of any other group, and yet not a peep from Warren about the attack on the people she claims to be a part of.
    [...]
    For years, when I was the culture editor at Indian Country Today Media Network, we requested interviews with Warren, but not once did she accept our numerous invitations for comment or explanation regarding her alleged ancestry. She simply ignored us.
    [...]
    When we needed her, she didn't lace up. She didn't show up.

It's not enough to claim to be Native. You must also be there for your people, be a part of the community, and not only when it's convenient or when you want something -- like the presidency.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/opini...ith/index.html
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I agree with a lot of this. I was about to say 'as it pertains to Warren', as I considered her definitely not disadvantaged. Then I realized I didn't know any of her background, so I looked it up. Sounds like she was raised in a lower/middle income family. I'm still not sure if her stated heritage helped her career. Apparently the Globe investigated the issue, and they couldn't find any evidence that her stated heritage helped her at Harvard. It almost sounds like Harvard was using it more to help their credentials, rather than the other way around. Who knows.

I should stop, I'm sounding like a Warren apologist. But I'm reacting to how fast her story and the DNA test has been mischaracterized (though she certainly shares some of the blame with her statements), and how solidified it is becoming in certain media. Nothing is true anymore, it's whatever can help a political side that gets trumpeted the loudest.
    I agree that it was likely Harvard and Penn looking for diversity than it was Warren using it to her advantage. However, she could have stopped it. I suspect she regrets not doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    And then sometimes eventually not so solid.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    ..... Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
    I'm just waiting for dudes to start "identifying" as women in order to fit in an affirmative action slot.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/boro...UwMTI2MzU1MwS2

DNA Test Reveals Donald Trump, Jr., Is Fifty Per Cent Idiot

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—Donald Trump, Jr., has taken a DNA test that reveals that he is “fifty-per-cent idiot,” Trump confirmed on Tuesday.

Speaking to reporters at a press conference in Trump Tower, Trump said that he had undergone the DNA testing “to silence all of the haters who have been saying I’m a total idiot.”

Crowing about the test results, Trump said, “According to this test, I am fifty-per-cent idiot, which is way less than half.”

Trump’s results drew a skeptical response from the scientific community, with many leading geneticists questioning the integrity of his DNA sample.

According to Davis Logsdon, a genetic scientist at the University of Minnesota, “Any test of Don, Jr., that comes back lower than ninety-per-cent idiot is going to set off alarm bells, scientifically speaking.”

Trump, Jr., first boasted about his test results on Twitter, where he misspelled “DNA.”
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    who is spartacus?
    http://bfy.tw/KOhO
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Canned crab? Elizabeth Warren is unfit to lead.

The Tribes of Israel have little to do with Native American tribes . . .
    Ahem!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I just want you to know that I didn't click the search button. So I still don't know.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I just want you to know that I didn't click the search button. So I still don't know.
    That link seemed iffy to me. No way!

WTF!...

About Sarah O. C. Crawford

This is the ancestor of U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren that she claims is Native American and lends her her Cherokee history. This is extremely unlikely, as this woman's husband Jonathan Crawford was a member of a militia who rounded up Cherokees and forced them into confinement to await the Trail of Tears. Sarah is most likely half Swedish and half English, Scottish, or German.
    [...]
    https://www.geni.com/people/Sarah-Cr...00017865344173

No wonder Senator Warren's family made up the story... it is to cover up the fact that her family has been exploiting minorities since the 1830's.

I hope she runs in 2020.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    That is definitely mock worthy.

Pocahontas' descendent wants Fauxcahontas to apologize...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

How is what she did not a case of cultural appropriation? The rules are so confusing to me.

How is what she did not a case of cultural appropriation? The rules are so confusing to me.
    Not defending her at all- it's a head scratcher- but isn't it a well-worn cliche in this country to claim to be "part Cherokee?" Has she done anything other than claim some piece of blood relation? I don't think that in itself is appropriating any culture.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Not defending her at all- it's a head scratcher- but isn't it a well-worn cliche in this country to claim to be "part Cherokee?" Has she done anything other than claim some piece of blood relation? I don't think that in itself is appropriating any culture.
    She claimed to be a native american and a "person of color" and claimed that this added to the diversity of the law school faculty.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I grew up being told by my mother that I was 1/32nd Cherokee--supposedly I have a 3xgreat grandmother was Mary Ottertail, a Cherokee princess, but the idea of using that as the basis for claiming minority status, or even mentioning that in any application, struck me as moronic even as a teenager.

Sadly, recent DNA testing doesn't show any Native American component to my genome, although I have traces of Ashkenazi Jew and West African lineage, neither of which have imbued me with any of the gifts stereotypically associated with either.

She claimed to be a native american and a "person of color" and claimed that this added to the diversity of the law school faculty.
    I blew it... I could have been given the laminate treatment at BYU if I played my native american card.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I grew up being told by my mother that I was 1/32nd Cherokee--supposedly I have a 3xgreat grandmother was Mary Ottertail, a Cherokee princess, but the idea of using that as the basis for claiming minority status, or even mentioning that in any application, struck me as moronic even as a teenager.

Sadly, recent DNA testing doesn't show any Native American component to my genome, although I have traces of Ashkenazi Jew and West African lineage, neither of which have imbued me with any of the gifts stereotypically associated with either.
    How about Peruvian, Colombian or Mexican DNA? If you have that, you're Cherokee!

Because she’s a liberal democrat
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf