Lawn mowers: post your gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like self-propelled mowers.

I've got a Craftsman with a Briggs&Stratton 6.0hp motor I bought when we moved into our first home in 2000. This is embarrassing to admit for a car guy, but until last summer I had never even changed the oil in it. Runs great after 12 years.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I use a cordless electric mower from Worx. I have a small lot, so it works great.

Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
        The mower that I can claim as mine (my dad's old mower):

The mower that I use (my dad's new mower):

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

no kidding. zero turn mower: game over.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Inherited a Toro from my dad. It's probably fifteen years old and runs like new. I have one of my deacons mow my lawn so I've yet to use it at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              We have been using a Toro for many years and have had good luck with it. My favorite feature is what they call "Personal Pace". It is a self-propelled mower but rather than having an on/off lever like most self-propelled mowers, it simply has a sensor on the handle and when you push forward it engages the drive and when you stop walking, the mower stops automatically. Works beautifully and is especially nice for kids.
              We probably have the same or similar model. Works well for small-to-medium yards that are flat or with modest slopes.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                right. and like donut said, it can be a pain in the butt trying to empty into a garbage back (without a can). do you mulch the clippings?
                I haven't bagged clippings in years. I wouldn't have room in my garbage can if I did. Just buy a mulching blade and a decent mower and there is no need to bag.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I rock the Honda and am pleased with it. $400 or so at Home Depot I believe.

Comment

I highly recommend a Husqvarna mower. Almost makes mowing the lawn enjoyable.

"In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I've got a Honda mower that's at least 20 years old and still going strong. A couple of year in, I put on a mulching blade and haven't had to bag the clippings. I do have the problem that it clogs up with grass under the housing in long wet grass, but I suppose most mowers would have that issue.

Comment

my wife's dad has a 10+ year old two stroke commercial mower that is an absolute beast. the compression is high enough that the the pull start was broken off, and now to start it you have to wrap some cord where the housing used to be. the last time i used it, the grass was pretty damp and very long (probably five inches), but it didn't miss a beat even on the wettest part. come to think of it, it might even be a toro.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I probably have the exact same Toro that JL has and others have talked about. I bought it at Home Depot October of 08 when I bought my house. The bagging system is fine and it isn't like the picture that was posted. Costco sometimes sells Toro mowers and you'll get a better deal there and this is the time of year when they might sell it. Buy it if it's there. Otherwise, Home Depot isn't too bad either.

This is basically the same one I bought

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...&storeId=10051

The self-propulsion works really well. I've never had a single problem with it, and replacement parts (e.g. blades and air filters) are readily available. Getting it started has never been a problem.

If you spend another $40 you can get the same one that will either stop the blades when the engine is still running or you can get one with an electric start.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

We just bought this Honda to replace our 10 year old Home Depot Toro.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn...dels/hrx217vka

It cost about twice as much, but feels more than twice as good. The Toro always took a few tugs to get started, where the Honda starts first pull every time. The Honda also plowed through long wet grass far better. It also feel better built, I think we'll get more years out of this than the 10 we got out of the Toro.

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                              I highly recommend a Husqvarna mower. Almost makes mowing the lawn enjoyable.

That looks exactly like mine. Agree that it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                I don't like self-propelled mowers.

I've got a Craftsman with a Briggs&Stratton 6.0hp motor I bought when we moved into our first home in 2000. This is embarrassing to admit for a car guy, but until last summer I had never even changed the oil in it. Runs great after 12 years.
                                I have the same mower.
                                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                                X