Lawn mowers: post your gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn mowers: post your gear

What brand/model do you use? self-propelling? Any recommendations?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

We have been using a Toro for many years and have had good luck with it. My favorite feature is what they call "Personal Pace". It is a self-propelled mower but rather than having an on/off lever like most self-propelled mowers, it simply has a sensor on the handle and when you push forward it engages the drive and when you stop walking, the mower stops automatically. Works beautifully and is especially nice for kids.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've got a self-propelled John Deere, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Only half the clippings make it into the bag, the self-propulsion system only has one speed: ON! There's no way I would let my kids use that thing until they were in their late teens, and even then I'd worry about getting a foot cut off.

I had a Troy-Bilt before that was awesome, save the opening on the clippings bag was really narrow; it was a workout to dump a bag 30-40 times while cutting my half acre, so I sold it and got this highly-rated John Deere that I do not like.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

This is mine.

I love Honda mowers and likely won't buy another brand. It starts on the first pull everytime (even after sitting for a couple months during the winter).

EDIT: The one feature I love is the blade control. The motor can be running without the blade moving. You have to hold that bar near the handle for the blade to engage, which makes for a nice safety feature. Plus, I can then roll over mulch/dirt/whatever without the blade engaged.
        Last edited by Moliere; 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          This is mine.

I love Honda mowers and likely won't buy another brand. It starts on the first pull everytime (even after sitting for a couple months during the winter).

EDIT: The one feature I love is the blade control. The motor can be running without the blade moving. You have to hold that bar near the handle for the blade to engage, which makes for a nice safety feature. Plus, I can then roll over mulch/dirt/whatever without the blade engaged.
          I've had that same mower and I echo your comments. Lasted a long time too.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            We have been using a Toro for many years and have had good luck with it. My favorite feature is what they call "Personal Pace". It is a self-propelled mower but rather than having an on/off lever like most self-propelled mowers, it simply has a sensor on the handle and when you push forward it engages the drive and when you stop walking, the mower stops automatically. Works beautifully and is especially nice for kids.
            This sounds like the one I have. Got it at Home Depot after reading a CR review. Fantastic mower.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

the only thing i don't like about toro is the awkward bagging system
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I traded off my old John Deere LT180 for a new (ok, slightly used) X729

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  the only thing i don't like about toro is the awkward bagging system

What's not to like?

I do wish it had a blade-disengage feature, but I think I had a choice between that model and the one with the electric starter that I chose. I love the electric starter.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post

What's not to like?

I do wish it had a blade-disengage feature, but I think I had a choice between that model and the one with the electric starter that I chose. I love the electric starter.
                    they may have changed it, but the toro bags i've used looked like this:

Comment

I'm a big fan of Toro mowers. That's what my dad had for 25 years while I was growing up. I think in the 6 years since he got rid of his Toro, he's had 3 or 4 other mowers.

As for the bagging system, I think they are more effective at trapping the clippings than the open-ended bags, but they can be problematic to empty (particularly if you are trying to empty into an unfastened garbage bag). I eventually figured out that I just needed to place the bag in a large garbage can and use both hands to empty it.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

OK...gotcha--because you have to open the plastic top while emptying into a bag?

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the bag looks on my mower because I've never used it.

EDIT: Just checked--no plastic cover. Just an open front like a normal bag.
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          OK...gotcha--because you have to open the plastic top while emptying into a bag?

Honestly, I'm not even sure what the bag looks on my mower because I've never used it.
                          right. and like donut said, it can be a pain in the butt trying to empty into a garbage back (without a can). do you mulch the clippings?

Comment

right. and like donut said, it can be a pain in the butt trying to empty into a garbage back (without a can). do you mulch the clippings?
                            Yup.
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

The mower that I can claim as mine (my dad's old mower):

The mower that I use (my dad's new mower):

I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Working...
                              X