Bigfoot: I want to believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigfoot: I want to believe

I stirred things up over on CB a week or so ago with a post about Bigfoot. I got comments from some who like to consider the possibility that a population of large hominids exists that has not been officially "discovered" and recognized by the scientific community. I also got responses from the realists and skeptics who gave me the benefit of the doubt that I was trolling.

Here's where I stand on the issue:

I guess I am not what people would describe as a skeptic. I also do not feel I am gullible. I accept the possibility that there are things beyond my personal experience that exist or are true.

On the Bigfoot issue, there are thousands of eyewitness reports out there. There are videos and pictures, some of which are obviously faked, some of which are likely faked, and some of which are really difficult to explain away as faked.

There are kooks, some of whom are very visible and publicized, who are involved in Bigfoot "research"; there are some legitimate scientists and other earnest people who are also involved in Bigfoot research.

In the face of eyewitness and other circumstantial evidence, I tend to keep my mind open to the possibility that there is something unexplained by our current knowledge.

I don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster (I think the famous photo is faked, and there isn't enough evidence otherwise to suggest to me it's anything but stories and fraud). I think "chupacabra" is coyotes with mange.

Of the famous cryptids, Bigfoot or Sasquatch stands apart from all the others in the scope of evidence, and in the history with aboriginal people.

I have certainly not shut the door on the possibility of a large, "undiscovered" hominid, but I have also not concluded that they truly exist.

It's a fun exercise for me to look at the various Bigfoot websites and keep tabs on the Bigfoot community (I don't consider myself part of it, though). Recently I've been looking at the Patterson video and a lot of commentary about it (it's the famous one everyone's already seen), to see if I can conclusively convince myself that it was faked (i.e., a guy in a Bigfoot suit). The jury's still out on that for me.

Recent months have been as active as I've ever seen on the Bigfoot sites. The reasons are threefold:

1. There have been some very interesting photos and videos come to light recently, it seems to me in a much more frequent rate than in the past. It seems like all of a sudden, there are a bunch of new things to look at that aren't easily dismissed as fake. Let me share an example. This photo was posted for the first time ever, two months ago:

This is alleged to be from an improvised trail cam some guy set up to catch images of something that's been coming on his property. He sent one photo to someone with a Bigfoot site, who he heard on a radio show. He made her sit on it (allegedly) for four years because he was reluctant to let his identity be public because he doesn't want to deal with the ridicule and scorn that a lot of Bigfoot believers suffer. She finally published the photo, and it has caused a mini uproar. It's certainly the clearest alleged Bigfoot photo ever, and I don't think it can be mistaken for another animal. It's either what it purports to be, or it's a really good fake. And I'm talking a fake that would cost thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars to make.

2. A man named Adrian Erickson has been working on a Bigfoot documentary since 2005. Reportedly, he has gathered (bought up) quite a number of unreleased Bigfoot videos and pictures that will be part of the documentary. It is supposedly ready, but he is apparently waiting to release it at the same time as #3.

3. An animal geneticist, Dr. Melba Ketchum, has according to numerous reports, been working on a paper in which she has analyzed up to 200 tissue, blood and hair samples. It is on the verge of publication, and her conduct strongly suggests that she has concluded that DNA testing of multiple samples has revealed a hominid that has not yet been scientifically described. I've seen "leaked" information that up to 100 samples have come back as this unknown hominid. I've also seen "leaked" information that this unknown hominid is as much as 2/3 closer to human DNA than chimpanzees. She also claims to have her own unreleased videos and photos that will be released either as part of this paper, or shortly thereafter. She has not revealed the publication, but she has stated it's in a legitimate, peer-reviewed publication.

She won't (cannot) reveal any information about the paper, due to an embargo. There has been speculation that it would be published on a Thursday or Friday before May 1. There is, indeed, a paper that is subject to press embargo, that is on the subject of "genetics" that is scheduled to have the embargo lifted less than a half hour from now. Whether or not it's hers is pure speculation, but all indications are that it will be published sometime within the next month (although I've seen something saying it will be October, but she's specifically denied that, saying it's not true).

If this is her paper, there's going to be a lot of stuff going down today and tomorrow on the Bigfoot front. And that will be fun. Regardless of whether it's conclusively proved, or whether it's another false alarm.

Finally, I find it very interesting how many people around her believe that an angel gave gold plates to a young boy who translated them as a book of scripture, but they refuse to acknowledge anything else that falls under the category of paranormal. It's kind of a funny contradiction to me.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Bigfoot is Cain:

Patten is reportedly the source of a story which has become a part of Mormon folklore. As related by Abraham O. Smoot after Patten's death, Patten says he encountered a very tall, hairy, dark-skinned man in Paris, Tennessee who said that he was Cain. The account states that Cain, the son of Adam from the Bible, had earnestly sought death but was denied it, and that his mission was to destroy the souls of men. The recollection of Patten's story is quoted in Spencer W. Kimball's The Miracle of Forgiveness, a popular book within the LDS Church. In the 1980s, Patten's story was used by some Latter-day Saints to explain Bigfoot sightings in South Weber, Utah.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_W._Patten

You may want to pick up the following book...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Between-Pulpit-Pew-Supernatural-Folklore/dp/0874218381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335455787&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Between Pulpit and Pew: The Supernatural World in Mormon History and Folklore (9780874218381): W. Paul Reeve, Michael Scott Van Wagenen: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HNCE74HkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41HNCE74HkL[/ame]
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

You are killing me, SoCal.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Embargo's over. That wasn't her paper, so this is going to drag out for a while.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

As a wildlife biologist, I have a strange fascination with this stuff as well. Not so far as visiting websites and following the updates. But I've wandered enough woodland in my life to be able to acknowledge the possibility of some unexplained species wandering the remote parts of the world.

Can you imagine how a discovery would play out? It just blows my mind imagining the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service having to consider listing the Sasquatch on the ESA and all of the implications of that. Zoos. Captive breeding programs. Despite being 99% genetically related to chimpanzee's, looking at one in a zoo habitat doesn't seem especially strange to me, since we've been conditioned to seeing them in there. I can imagine having a much different reaction looking up and making eye contact with a Sasquatch in similar conditions.

Sign me up for the updates!
          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

I can never keep track of which Cuffers drink alcohol and which ones don't. For some reason I thought SoCalCoug was a teetotaler.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I want to believe. But if there are creatures like this roaming the Pacific Northwest, why haven't any of them run across HFNW and tried to mate with him? That's where my belief wanes.
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You are killing me, SoCal.
                Hey, I think this is do or die time for the Bigfoot legend. I think it would be just as fun to see the trainwreck that follows, if this paper turns out to be not as advertised.

I love things that mess with people's paradigm. This has the potential to upend a lot of people's paradigm, on one side of the issue or the other.

I am not convinced yet that Dr. Ketchum isn't a kook. That's why it's very interesting to me that she appears to have some scientific credentials, and that she's claiming she is publishing a paper on Bigfoot DNA in a respected, peer-reviewed journal.

Either way, this thing is going to be fun.

Yes, I'd love for someone to turn up a real Sasquatch body, or to prove to a reasonable scientific certainty that there are Sasquatches. That would be totally cool. But it doesn't mean I've bought wholesale into the Bigfoot thing. I need some pretty convincing evidence. This lady says she has it. So, I'm anxiously waiting for it.

I still think that picture I posted is pretty cool. Frustratingly uncertain, but it's certainly not a known animal. Therefore, it's either something heretofore unknown, or it's a really good fake. And I mean REALLY good fake.

Comment

But Bigfoot isn't paranormal. That's the problem. It isnt some otherworldly phenomenon. It is supposed to be a huge ape but it never leaves a carcass and never gets hit by a car and so forth. I would. E excited if there was actual evidence but for now most of what I have seen is a bobo recreation and that doesn't do it for me.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

WARNING: The following video contains language that may be considered offensive to some viewers.
                    [YOUTUBE]jdsYEsM1Onc[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                      I still think that picture I posted is pretty cool. Frustratingly uncertain, but it's certainly not a known animal. Therefore, it's either something heretofore unknown, or it's a really good fake. And I mean REALLY good fake.
                      One other option is that is isn't a good fake at all but a bad costume.

Sorry to mess with your paradigm!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

BTW, what m,akes you tihk that photo would be so hard to fake? Or so expensive? It doesnt look that way to me.

ANd why is there always some odd ciurcumstance attached to so much of the eivdence?

"Here is a great photo! Sorry, nop point in going to look for corrsponding footprints or hair on trees etc. becasue it has been YEARS since it was taken, but man it sure looks cool!"
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

By the way, Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum at Idaho State University is very involved in the Bigfoot community. Does anyone have any knowledge whether he's a kook, or is he legitimate?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                            By the way, Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum at Idaho State University is very involved in the Bigfoot community. Does anyone have any knowledge whether he's a kook, or is he legitimate?
                            I have seen himn talking to Bobo and Moneymaker on TV. A nice guy, it seems, but a bit of a kook, IMO.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is a funny troll. Much more creative than some of Sooner's stuff. Nice job, SoCal!
                              Last edited by smokymountainrain; 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                              X