'Slavery wasn't that bad'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Slavery wasn't that bad'

I'm working at a different hospital this week and one of the other doctors is this loud, semi-obnoxious Fox News superfan (I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just to illustrate that 95% of our conversations involve the latest Fox News topic). Anyway, we have our differences, but I usually just sort of nod to avoid argument so I can actually get work done, as he tends to...well, not get work done when these discussions get going.

But last night was a doozy. You could probably guess that he's no fan of Obama and he started pretty quickly into the standard 'Obama hates white people' fare, although with the new added twist of quotes from his book, which I haven't read. Soon, he moved to how he was sick of being blamed for things that he and his family had nothing to do with--a decent point, i guess--but then busted out with 'you know? Slavery wasn't that bad.'

'um...what?'
    'I'm serious. Slave owners treated their slaves pretty well. The last thing they wanted was to chase a runaway slave, so they wanted to keep conditions as good as they could. Plus, they wouldn't want unhealthy slaves.'
    'um....what?'
    'yeah, that 'roots' stuff is a bunch of bullshit. Totally exaggerated. The real problems for black people came once they were freed.'
    (paraphrased, but pretty darn close to actual words used)

I'm admittedly ignorant of the difficulties of the newly emancipated slave, but this did strike me as a new take on history.

I consulted an ultrasound tech, who grew up in Georgia.. Her texted response:
    'slavery well...I think some had it ok maybe but most probably not.'

At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

forward this to anyone who says we have conquered racism. unbelievable.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

It's ironic that someone who could probably run off a long list of freedoms that Obama is supposedly taking away from us and be pretty upset about it can be so nonchalant about the most egregious deprivation of freedoms in this country's history. Assholes like this are the reasons I'm no longer a republican. Disgusting.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        forward this to anyone who says we have conquered racism. unbelievable.
        Right?
        The doctor--not that surprising. Like I said, he's a little obnoxious, likes to take controversial positions, etc (although this was new ground for him). But the ultrasound tech floored me--she's smart and articulate, and you would never guess she would be anything but shocked at his statement. I texted her mostly to tease her about her southern heritage.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
          It's ironic that someone who could probably run off a long list of freedoms that Obama is supposedly taking away from us and be pretty upset about it can be so nonchalant about the most egregious deprivation of freedoms in this country's history. Assholes like this are the reasons I'm no longer a republican. Disgusting.
          Yeah, I'm sure that represents the average Republican's attitude towards slavery.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            Yeah, I'm sure that represents the average Republican's attitude towards slavery.
            I didn't say that it did
            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

You should have savagely whipped him for not getting enough work done and then asked him to revisit his stance on slavery.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                You should have savagely whipped him for not getting enough work done and then asked him to revisit his stance on slavery.
                You've been brainwashed by Obama. That shit didn't happen.
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I didn't say that it did
                  I see. So you are swayed by the attitudes of a small minority to switch political parties. How soon can we expect another party switch from you when the opinions of a small percentage of your current party du jour offend your finer sensibilities?
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    I don't recommend this, the last thing you want is to have to chase a runaway doctor.
                    Last edited by DU Ute; 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      I see. So you are swayed by the attitudes of a small minority to switch political parties. How soon can we expect another party switch from you when the opinions of a small percentage of your current party du jour offend your finer sensibilities?
                      I should have said they are one of the reasons. It is a minority, but generally they feel like it is a safe place to spout their views as long as they don't cross certain lines.

Comment

Derivative arguments:

-slavery would have ended fairly soon, civil war was unnecessary

-civil war had nothing to do with slavery, it was all about tariffs. (all the articles of secession mentioned slavery, none mentioned tariffs)

-Yankees were responsible for Jim Crow era because of the way they went about Reconstruction.

-South would have integrated schools, federal intervention was unnecessary

This mindset is not uncommon.

Comment

I believe this belongs in one of FMCoug's Utah threads.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            I believe this belongs in one of FMCoug's Utah threads.
                            You don't run into this kind of thinking in your neck of the woods?

Comment

You don't run into this kind of thinking in your neck of the woods?
                              No, never. Racism here isn't for Mrazzes who watch Fox News. This is old-fashioned hate without any attempt to rationalize or justify it.

No one would ever argue that slavery wasn't bad. They would argue that it ending was. That's the kind of racism I've seen in my life, and it's disgusting.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X