Thread: Building Hope - Humanitarian Aid Efforts in Africa

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

Default Building Hope - Humanitarian Aid Efforts in Africa

As always, I have to put the "this is from the desnews" disclaimer out there, but this is a really good two part series on the LDS Charities response to the famine in Africa.

Praying for Rain: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...st-Africa.html

Building Hope: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ught.html?pg=1

Largely unknown, even to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, LDS Charities began in response to another famine in this same region of Africa. That crisis marked the beginning of a new kind of global consciousness — that when disaster strikes, people in wealthy nations have a responsibility to help.
    The effort in East Africa was one of 111 disasters the LDS Church responded to in 2011 through its welfare arm. For the LDS Church, these projects have little to do with proselytizing, which is why for so long they've gone unnoticed.
    In the Horn of Africa, for example, there are about 1,000 church members, and none where the church is doing disaster relief work. In fact, there isn't a chapel within hundreds of miles of where Amina lives in the Melkadida camp, or a single missionary. She's never heard of the Mormon church, and unless she leaves this camp, she probably never will.

"The church does these projects because it believes that's the right thing to do, the Christian thing to do," says Lynn Samsel of LDS Charities. "There is no quid pro quo. It's simply about trying to do good in the world."
    There's a lot of good stuff in these articles and some really incredible stories.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I'm glad we're doing this, but that first paragraph about, "a new kind of global consciousness" is bunk.

[YOUTUBE]ne7fPpxAnuM[/YOUTUBE]
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    As always, I have to put the "this is from the desnews" disclaimer out there, but this is a really good two part series on the LDS Charities response to the famine in Africa.

Praying for Rain: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...st-Africa.html

Building Hope: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ught.html?pg=1

There's a lot of good stuff in these articles and some really incredible stories.
    I really enjoy the irony of how the church goes out of its way to repeatedly proclaim that their humanitarian aid isn't about proselyting.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atheistcougar View Post
    I really enjoy the irony of how the church goes out of its way to repeatedly proclaim that their humanitarian aid isn't about proselyting.
    Oh brother.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

it's tragic that they have to make that distinction when helping people.
    Last edited by old_gregg; 04-16-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I am glad to see the church still provides you enjoyment.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

You should set up some kind of dissenters group and go tour the refugee camps. You know for shits and gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    it's tragic that they have to make that distinction when helping people.
    Because of repeated accusations from others where they claim that's precisely why the church engages in humanitarian causes?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    You should set up some kind of dissenters group and go tour the refugee camps. You know for shits and gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Because of repeated accusations from others where they claim that's precisely why the church engages in humanitarian causes?
    i was being serious, so yes.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Very cool of the church to do this. I like the fact they spend a lot of their humanitarian aid money outside the developed world.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Boy, tough crowd. The church can't win for losing with some. I think that's great, DNF. You don't hear a lot about these efforts and sometimes we forget how much is being done without our knowledge.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Default Building Hope - Humanitarian Aid Efforts in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Boy, tough crowd. The church can't win for losing with some.
    Lol!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    That is cool. Didn't know anything about it. Will stop by to buy something.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    That is cool. Didn't know anything about it. Will stop by to buy something.
    I'm not going to say if I'll stop by or not because I take heed that to not give my alms before men to be seen of them.

I'm not going to say if I'll stop by or not because I take heed that to not give my alms before men to be seen of them.
    Ha, I think you just did.

So it won't count on my behalf. Even more sacrifice by me!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Is there a way you can hook up with the church's wholesale suppliers? Because, dude, I want a cow for $150.