No announcement yet.

Big Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work on the big rides this weekend. All this talk of big rides has given me the itch to complete some goals I set awhile back. It's a bit hard to train with little kids, but I think I see potential to dedicate time to training now that the kids are getting a little older. I learned about the Death Ride a few years ago when I was participating in a 12-hour race. It definitely intrigued me, but I think I will now definitely put it on my list after the report above. Sounds like a killer, but worth it. I have a few friends that do Lotoja annually, so I hope to tag along with them within the next couple of years.

The big ride that is at the top of my list is the Cascade Creampuff 100. It's 100 miles of some of the most beautiful mountain biking around. The total climbing can get to around 18,000 feet, depending on how the course is set up. I've ridden the main loop many times (about 34 miles), but I'd like to hammer out the race one day and get the coveted finisher's hat. I helped with course marking and aid stations a few years ago and it is a very well run race. Are there any mountain bikers out there that have done or do big rides like this?

www.cascadecreampuff.com
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

We had a fun time on today's Lighthouse Century. I forgot to turn my Garmin back on after a couple of rest stops, but we climbed over 5,000 feet, including one long climb at the beginning that features a couple of double digit grades. Once the heavy climbing is over, there's a fun ten-mile descent to the coast and then out and back along the Pacific Coast Highway. Hearst Castle, a lighthouse (natch), and many fine beaches including one that was loaded with sea lions laying around, make the ride a sightseer's delight. This shot shows only a small portion of the world's largest lazy sea lion convention.

It's too bad this ride is during the school year and football season, as it would be a great CUF ride. A Cuffer paceline with the wind behind our backs on the final stretch would be excellent.

Four centuries in one year! I will not go gently into that good night.

Comment

great pic
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I changed the thread title, as there's no point in doing a Big Rides thread for each year. Rather, let's add to this one.

The missus and I are probably going to the Wine Country Century. We're considering doing the Double Metric which includes a side trip along the coast, as well as the Redwoods and seven valleys of vineyards. There's climbing, but not as much as in some our past rides. Anyone who wishes to join us is welcome, although we'll probably drive up the morning of the ride (90 minutes away).

The wife has logged 300 miles already this year, so she'll be ready. I need to hit the saddle again.

I also hope there will be a CUF ride this summer, but I'll defer to our Wasatch Front colleagues for arrangements, as California and Oregon have dominated the planning in the past.

Comment

Why not Texas? Or Colorado?
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Why not Texas Hell? Or Colorado?
              I am going to Yellowstone this summer, so I may do an Idaho or Wyoming.

Comment

My biggest ride to date has been to circumnavigate Bear Lake - which I've done twice now - and which is about 50 miles.

I refuse to spend any time on my bike until the outside temperatures reach a number that is north of my waistline - so it may be a couple of months.

But I really want to do a century ride this year. I'm going to have to look around and see which fits my schedule best and is late enough in the summer or early enough in the fall to give me the time to do some training.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  My biggest ride to date has been to circumnavigate Bear Lake - which I've done twice now - and which is about 50 miles.

I refuse to spend any time on my bike until the outside temperatures reach a number that is north of my waistline - so it may be a couple of months.

But I really want to do a century ride this year. I'm going to have to look around and see which fits my schedule best and is late enough in the summer or early enough in the fall to give me the time to do some training.
                  Is it 25 miles round trip? Or 50 round? I thought it was like 20.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                    Is it 25 miles round trip? Or 50 round? I thought it was like 20.
                    Once around is just over 50 miles. It is just short of 25 miles tip to tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      Once around is just over 50 miles. It is just short of 25 miles tip to tip.
                      I had no idea it was that large. I've spent a bit of time up there, and I thought it was something like 22 miles all the way around. I was sure wrong about that.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Is anybody doing the Tour of the Unknown Coast? I brought it up to a guy in the area that just starting riding last year and he got all fired up about it and signed up for it. Their is a very good chance I will be coming over with him. It would be nice to meet up with some of you NoCal guys if you're doing it also.

Comment

I've done that ride a number of times, but don't think that I can make it this year. I have a couple of calendar conflicts. Bummer. That would be fun to see you sail off ahead into the distance in the first 4 miles and then ride the next 97 miles solo.

Comment

My wife informed me last night that she wants to do the Death Ride next year.

Other than the fact that she doesn't even have a bike, it sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              My wife informed me last night that she wants to do the Death Ride next year.

Other than the fact that she doesn't even have a bike, it sounds like fun.
                              Are you sure she didn't say she wants YOU to do the Death Ride next year?
                              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                Is anybody doing the Tour of the Unknown Coast? I brought it up to a guy in the area that just starting riding last year and he got all fired up about it and signed up for it. Their is a very good chance I will be coming over with him. It would be nice to meet up with some of you NoCal guys if you're doing it also.
                                TUC is coming up in just over 10 days. Still planning to come over and do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X