Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Rides

Nice work on the big rides this weekend. All this talk of big rides has given me the itch to complete some goals I set awhile back. It's a bit hard to train with little kids, but I think I see potential to dedicate time to training now that the kids are getting a little older. I learned about the Death Ride a few years ago when I was participating in a 12-hour race. It definitely intrigued me, but I think I will now definitely put it on my list after the report above. Sounds like a killer, but worth it. I have a few friends that do Lotoja annually, so I hope to tag along with them within the next couple of years.

The big ride that is at the top of my list is the Cascade Creampuff 100. It's 100 miles of some of the most beautiful mountain biking around. The total climbing can get to around 18,000 feet, depending on how the course is set up. I've ridden the main loop many times (about 34 miles), but I'd like to hammer out the race one day and get the coveted finisher's hat. I helped with course marking and aid stations a few years ago and it is a very well run race. Are there any mountain bikers out there that have done or do big rides like this?

www.cascadecreampuff.com
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

We had a fun time on today's Lighthouse Century. I forgot to turn my Garmin back on after a couple of rest stops, but we climbed over 5,000 feet, including one long climb at the beginning that features a couple of double digit grades. Once the heavy climbing is over, there's a fun ten-mile descent to the coast and then out and back along the Pacific Coast Highway. Hearst Castle, a lighthouse (natch), and many fine beaches including one that was loaded with sea lions laying around, make the ride a sightseer's delight. This shot shows only a small portion of the world's largest lazy sea lion convention.

It's too bad this ride is during the school year and football season, as it would be a great CUF ride. A Cuffer paceline with the wind behind our backs on the final stretch would be excellent.

Four centuries in one year! I will not go gently into that good night.

Pre-Historic Man

great pic

I changed the thread title, as there's no point in doing a Big Rides thread for each year. Rather, let's add to this one.

The missus and I are probably going to the Wine Country Century. We're considering doing the Double Metric which includes a side trip along the coast, as well as the Redwoods and seven valleys of vineyards. There's climbing, but not as much as in some our past rides. Anyone who wishes to join us is welcome, although we'll probably drive up the morning of the ride (90 minutes away).

The wife has logged 300 miles already this year, so she'll be ready. I need to hit the saddle again.

I also hope there will be a CUF ride this summer, but I'll defer to our Wasatch Front colleagues for arrangements, as California and Oregon have dominated the planning in the past.

Why not Texas? Or Colorado?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Why not Texas Hell? Or Colorado?
    I am going to Yellowstone this summer, so I may do an Idaho or Wyoming.

My biggest ride to date has been to circumnavigate Bear Lake - which I've done twice now - and which is about 50 miles.

I refuse to spend any time on my bike until the outside temperatures reach a number that is north of my waistline - so it may be a couple of months.

But I really want to do a century ride this year. I'm going to have to look around and see which fits my schedule best and is late enough in the summer or early enough in the fall to give me the time to do some training.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    My biggest ride to date has been to circumnavigate Bear Lake - which I've done twice now - and which is about 50 miles.

I refuse to spend any time on my bike until the outside temperatures reach a number that is north of my waistline - so it may be a couple of months.

But I really want to do a century ride this year. I'm going to have to look around and see which fits my schedule best and is late enough in the summer or early enough in the fall to give me the time to do some training.
    Is it 25 miles round trip? Or 50 round? I thought it was like 20.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Douger View Post
    Is it 25 miles round trip? Or 50 round? I thought it was like 20.
    Once around is just over 50 miles. It is just short of 25 miles tip to tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Once around is just over 50 miles. It is just short of 25 miles tip to tip.
    I had no idea it was that large. I've spent a bit of time up there, and I thought it was something like 22 miles all the way around. I was sure wrong about that.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Is anybody doing the Tour of the Unknown Coast? I brought it up to a guy in the area that just starting riding last year and he got all fired up about it and signed up for it. Their is a very good chance I will be coming over with him. It would be nice to meet up with some of you NoCal guys if you're doing it also.

I've done that ride a number of times, but don't think that I can make it this year. I have a couple of calendar conflicts. Bummer. That would be fun to see you sail off ahead into the distance in the first 4 miles and then ride the next 97 miles solo.

My wife informed me last night that she wants to do the Death Ride next year.

Other than the fact that she doesn't even have a bike, it sounds like fun.

Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    My wife informed me last night that she wants to do the Death Ride next year.

Other than the fact that she doesn't even have a bike, it sounds like fun.
    Are you sure she didn't say she wants YOU to do the Death Ride next year?
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Is anybody doing the Tour of the Unknown Coast? I brought it up to a guy in the area that just starting riding last year and he got all fired up about it and signed up for it. Their is a very good chance I will be coming over with him. It would be nice to meet up with some of you NoCal guys if you're doing it also.
    TUC is coming up in just over 10 days. Still planning to come over and do it?

I'm hoping that this is the year I actually pull off a century. I know, doesn't sound like much. So far my longest is 50. Any fun centuries at the end of summer in Utah that I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    We are still planning on coming over. Can you make sure we have good weather for it.

Can we merge this thread with the Cosmic Willy one?

We are still planning on coming over. Can you make sure we have good weather for it.
    I can tell you exactly how the weather is going to be, as it has been nearly the exact same each time that I've done it.

At the early morning start it will be cool and overcast, thanks to the coastal fog that looms over the Northern California coast a good part of the year each morning. When I say cool, I mean upper 40s to low 50s. Nothing that a light vest and some arm warmers can't fix. Fun section, as the mass start of close to 500 riders usually holds together and zooms through the farmlands at close to 30 mph.

As you pedal along, the temps will stay about the same until you hit the Avenue of the Giants redwood grove. Here, you are far enough inland that the fog and cloud cover will break. The temps will warm up to the low to mid 50s, but thanks to the shade from the massive trees will be very comfortable.

Once you leave the Redwoods and head back toward the coast, you will break out of the trees as you head up the first big climb of the day, called Wildcat summit. Here it will be sunny and warmer, likely in the low 60s, but will feel much warmer since you've been in the cooler temps for a couple of hours already. Descending the backside of wildcat is still comfortable, so the wind from the fast descent isn't too chilly.

Once you hit the bottom of the descent, you've got almost 10 miles along the river heading to the lunch stop. Again, probably low 60s and very comfortable here. Rarely do you see any fog or cloud cover through here.

After lunch, you have 5-10 miles as you head toward the coastal road. Same, comfortable temps through here. In fact, there is often not much wind for several miles here, so I have been really warm a couple of years through here.

Once you approach the coast at about mile 70 or 75, the wind really starts to kick up. The road right along the coast usually gets blasted by a headwind coming from the northwest. This is a cool wind, but you are working so hard to fight the wind for 5-6 miles that its not a big deal. Rarely ever see any clouds or fog along this stretch - a rarity for the area. One of the 6 years I've done the TUC we got a tailwind. Incredible, flying along the ocean at 30 mph with doing hardly any work at all.

The climb up The Wall is steep, steep, steep. If the north wind continues through here, it can make for a really tough climb. But its fairly short, so its over before too much suffering. Then comes a rapid descent which can be a little chilly. Then the final climb up the Endless Hills. This is a grinder. 10-11 miles of climbing. There are no trees here, so that means nothing to stop the wind from blasting you in the face as you are slogging up the mountain. Not typically very cloudy through here.

Once you summit the endless hills, you almost always hit a cloud bank, so the final descent back into Ferndale if often quite cold. Its fairly short, so its not a huge problem, but I usually have had to don the arm warmers and vest for the last 10 miles. A couple of times we've had a very light rain through here as well.

So unless something really unusual happens, no need to expect much if any rain. Typically very pleasant, if a little on the cool side, which shouldn't be too bad for a tough Idaho boy like yourself.

I can tell you exactly how the weather is going to be, as it has been nearly the exact same each time that I've done it.

So unless something really unusual happens, no need to expect much if any rain. Typically very pleasant, if a little on the cool side, which shouldn't be too bad for a tough Idaho boy like yourself.
    Thanks bc for the information, I'm really looking forward to riding in that area. I love the NoCal area. I'm not that tough anymore but anything over 35 degrees and a wind under 30 mph will be better than spring conditions around here.

That's a great write-up, BG. RCV, why not take the month of May off and join us here in NorCal for a series of weekend rides? You can join the missus and me (and three other buds) for the Wine Country 200K on May 4, do the TUC with bg the following weekend, and then join us the following Friday when we'll ride the last half of the Amgen Stage 7, and spectate the following day.

If you're feeling particularly masochistic, come to our place tomorrow or Friday where you can stay and ride the Devil Mountain Double on Saturday. It's about 206 miles with well over 20,000 of climbing. What a horrible ride.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    That's a great write-up, BG. RCV, why not take the month of May off and join us here in NorCal for a series of weekend rides? You can join the missus and me (and three other buds) for the Wine Country 200K on May 4, do the TUC with bg the following weekend, and then join us the following Friday when we'll ride the last half of the Amgen Stage 7, and spectate the following day.

If you're feeling particularly masochistic, come to our place tomorrow or Friday where you can stay and ride the Devil Mountain Double on Saturday. It's about 206 miles with well over 20,000 of climbing. What a horrible ride.
    Thanks for the invite. I may just show up at your door one weekend. Are you riding the Devil Double, that sounds terrible.

Thanks for the invite. I may just show up at your door one weekend. Are you riding the Devil Double, that sounds terrible.
    Not a chance. I'd consider it over the course of a week, but one day? What blows my mind is that after Diablo, Morgan Territory, Patterson Pass and Mt. Hamilton among others (all challenging climbs from past Amgens), which will have taken them nearly 150 miles, they continue up Sierra Road, a monster climb, and then follow it up with a couple other toughies. No thanks.

A Big Ride Fail for me today. Things started well, despite having to get up at 4 to drive to Santa Rosa. We met up with some younger friends (they're the ones that did most of the Giro a year or two back) and headed west, over the Coastal Range. It was surprisingly pleasant and fog-free at 7 a.m., witness this view after we hit the first rest stop and after 2,000+ feet of climbing.

After a steep but exhilarating drop to the coast, we zipped north on Highway 1, stopping once or twice to admire the excellent scenery, framed nicely by our female counterparts.

We turned right and were moving quickly along the Russian River, but by mile 60, and after 4500 feet of climbing, I knew something was wrong. I felt lousy with no energy whatsoever. The temps which were approaching 90 didn't help either. I guess I bonked, as I hadn't eaten much pre-ride and didn't feel like eating much at the rest stops. So I told my three companions to finish the ride without me. I took a bailout route and finished with only 90 miles limping along at 13 or so mph, and felt like a total loser. But I decided 90 miles with that much climbing for a sexagenarian who hadn't trained enough may have been stupid, but it wasn't a failure.

It's funny how hard Mrs. PAC and the other couple tried to make me feel better, but they finished the ride (200 km) and I didn't. Perhaps my wife's encouragement was inspired in part by having ridden past a guy my age, lying at the side of road being attended to by paramedics (with oxygen, defib paddles, etc.). I guess it really was best for me to bail and ride another day. I feel fine now, albeit tired, and the first 60 miles or so were really great.

Bad days suck. I am sorry to hear that you had one fall on when you had a big ride planned. This is always a fear of mine (kind of happened on my one and only marathon). You live to ride another day.

Ouch. What a brutal but beautiful ride.

Ouch. What a brutal but beautiful ride.
    This had better not be all we get. I want details. Specifically which mile marker was responsible for your bonk? How many banana slugs did you run over on the Avenue of the Giants? And finally, how did you manage to make it through the road blocks as one of the largest manhunts in the US for a suspected murderer from our very own Redding was going on right in the middle of the race route?

bg is right, RCV, we need more than that little tidbit.

I know that very spot. Good place to regroup or find a big group to latch onto before hitting the coastal road. looks like you got good weather this weekend.