No announcement yet.

Big Rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is the Devil Mountain Double, the route for which encircles our house, but which despite the proximity is one ride I will never do, although I've done early all of it in separate rides. I've mentioned it before, but I'm still amazed anyone does this: around 205 miles with well over 20,000 feet of climbing. The nastiest ciimb (Sierra Road) was the finish for an Amgen stage a couple of years ago and it was a killer for a lot of the pros. In today's ride, it comes 150 miles into the course and after the riders have already done Diablo, Patterson and Mt. Hamilton, among others. And yet 250 or so hardy or insane cyclists have signed up for this.

Comment

• Mrs. PAC and I blew off church today and rode the Delta Century. When we started riding back in the '90s, we made this our first century, and we thought it would be fun to do it again--today was the 20th anniversary of that first century. I thought we'd do better, as there is probably no flatter course in California (the only "climbs" are up and down the many levees one rides on). But the winds were pretty stiff, which is great when they're behind you; not so great when they hitting in front or on the side. So we only averaged 16.3, but cut 40 minutes off of our riding time twenty years ago--I figure when we're in our 80s we're going to crush it.

I haven't been riding nearly as much as the missus, and wasn't truly ready for this, so I was pretty wiped on the second half. But as reported previously, I'm married to Wonder Woman and she pulled me pretty much the entire second half. I have no shame.

Comment

• http://thejensiegranfondo.com/

October 10th in Marin County. Looks like a great route. I may have to give it a go this year, as it has been a few years since I've done a century.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Mrs. PAC and I blew off church today and rode the Delta Century. When we started riding back in the '90s, we made this our first century, and we thought it would be fun to do it again--today was the 20th anniversary of that first century. I thought we'd do better, as there is probably no flatter course in California (the only "climbs" are up and down the many levees one rides on). But the winds were pretty stiff, which is great when they're behind you; not so great when they hitting in front or on the side. So we only averaged 16.3, but cut 40 minutes off of our riding time twenty years ago--I figure when we're in our 80s we're going to crush it.

I haven't been riding nearly as much as the missus, and wasn't truly ready for this, so I was pretty wiped on the second half. But as reported previously, I'm married to Wonder Woman and she pulled me pretty much the entire second half. I have no shame.
          I missed this post earlier, so a belated "well done".
          To be pulling off centuries in your 60s (not that you look it, but extrapolating from the 80s comment) is truly inspiring. I've done one century and was so miserable by the end that the idea of doing another one has not even crossed my mind. And you're cutting 40 minutes off. Pretty amazing.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Thanks, ER. I wish I were better, or even Mrs. PAC's equal (she's getting better all the time), but I feel really good and am grateful I'm able to do what I can. Like you, we just finished a great vacation and we averaged around 17,000 steps a day without missing a beat; it's apparent that cycling is a great way to stay healthy and improve fitness.

And bluegoose, that ride looks great, if a bit daunting, and my wife has the hots for Jensie, but we'll probably take a pass as she needs to attend to our third grandson whose arrival is expected a couple of weeks prior to the ride.

Comment

• Mrs. PAC and I had a most excellent ride today around Lake Tahoe. It brought back a lot of fun memories of the CUF Ride a few years back, and along the way we noted the various rest stops and other noteworthy incidents from that ride. I was unable to persuade the Nevada authorities to shut down the east side to bikes only, but traffic was light and with only two of us it made little difference. We rode counterclockwise this time and have deemed this the better way to go, as it's nice to get Emerald Bay and the harrowing hairpin turns out of the way early. The weather was also a little better today, but the company of a dozen others was sorely missed.

We should put this on the docket for 2016 or '17.

And while we finished strong and felt great, my heart goes out to the LOTOJANs, as I wouldn't want to do another 140 miles today...

Comment

• Just found about a ride today -The Caldera 500: http://fatbikemammoth.com/events/caldera-500-9-18-15/

500 mile mtn bike race. Free to do, but is completely self supported.

My family has been following the athletes here: http://trackleaders.com/caldera15

The leader just went by our house and we went and cheered him on and talked to him for a bit. The only girl doing it is a 15 yr old and was on my daughters soccer team last year.

Comment

• https://www.strava.com/activities/1176576185

I had no intention of doing Lotoja this year but a friend called me in March and said he would like to do it again. It wasn't a great summer of training and then that same friend calls two weeks ago and says he's not feeling it and is going to drop out. I had replaced my components and suffered through enough miles this summer that I still thought I could do it. It was a nice day and I didn't start to cramp until the second climb so that was better than in the past. I didn't push it that hard, mainly sucked off the wheels of groups coming by and just wanted to try and enjoy the day. It was like a long ride with little picnics along the way. It was good but I think I'm done with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    https://www.strava.com/activities/1176576185

I had no intention of doing Lotoja this year but a friend called me in March and said he would like to do it again. It wasn't a great summer of training and then that same friend calls two weeks ago and says he's not feeling it and is going to drop out. I had replaced my components and suffered through enough miles this summer that I still thought I could do it. It was a nice day and I didn't start to cramp until the second climb so that was better than in the past. I didn't push it that hard, mainly sucked off the wheels of groups coming by and just wanted to try and enjoy the day. It was like a long ride with little picnics along the way. It was good but I think I'm done with it.
                    That is seriously amazing, especially considering the recent hardware in your knee. Way to go man! I am very much impressed.

Comment

Very impressive. Nice job.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Holy cow, good job, RC. I don't know how you continue to do it.

Comment

Congrats! I knew I wouldn't be riding, but decided to go volunteer at the check-in on Friday afternoon/evening. I was fluctuating between jealous and relieved the whole time. Ha!

I've got a friend - the one who got me into riding and triathlons - who really wants to do this. But physically I just don't see it happening. He's quite a bit overweight, and the age things is working against us more and more every year. So I'm thinking maybe I'll do the relay with him next year, just so he gets the opportunity, and then ride the full the year after that.

It was a rough enough ride for me last time, and the waiting for others at nearly every stop just sucked the life out of me. So I "need" to do this thing again on my own without a team I'm waiting around for to have a better experience.

Comment

Congrats. I'm definitely impressed that you not only finished but your speed and time look really good. After trying LOTOJA and failing, I'm know how hard it is and I came into it thinking I was in great shape. Anyone that finishes the ride deserves all the glory that comes with it.

I want to do it again. My BiL did it this year, but he was in the competitive division. I honestly think that if I had another hour I could have finished, but my start time two years ago was 7:35am. Give me a 6:30ish start time and I think I could do it. Maybe I'll even consider going solo next year.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Well done, friend.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• The Alpine Loop seems big to me. My next door neighbor wants to do this in about 11 weeks. I better get riding! I haven't touched my bike all winter, and I'm up a few pounds I need to drop.

Comment

Working...
                                X