Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 271 to 292 of 292

Thread: Cutting the cord

  1. #271
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I used one of those HDTV antenna direction finder websites and put in my address. It spit out the direction to Farnsworth Peak in number of degrees (every signal in the SL Valley comes from Farnsworth Peak). I went up in the attic and used my iPhone compass app on top of my antenna to rotate my antenna to the right direction in degrees. It worked like a charm. I never had to adjust it after the first time I set it.
    Man, I am such a noob. Just looked that up and will change the setup accordingly. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Tablo/<streaming service du jour>/Roku is definitely my favorite combination. I also use the Plex Roku app so I play my home movies as well as movies I've ripped off the Roku. My next project is to hook up my door camera to the Roku via an App that can change the default Roku screen saver to show my door camera. Should be fun.
    Details please. Ring or Nest?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #272
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Does the Roku have bluetooth headphone connectivity? That has been a big failure of previous Roku units. I liked the headphone jack on the remote until I got a good set of bluetooth headphones. Now it is not nearly enough.
    My son is a big fan of the headphone jack. It allows him to start watching somebody else play video games without us knowing/noticing he's watching anything at all.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  3. #273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Does the Roku have bluetooth headphone connectivity? That has been a big failure of previous Roku units. I liked the headphone jack on the remote until I got a good set of bluetooth headphones. Now it is not nearly enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sounds like you just need to fire up the Roku app on your phone and use that to stream wirelessly to your bluetooth device.

    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-pr...ews-27049.html
    yeah roku ios app works great
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  4. #274
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Details please. Ring or Nest?
    I haven't actually done it yet. When we built the house 12 years ago I made sure I had a CAT6 drop to my doorbell and a CAT6 drop to my security camera on the front porch. The doorbell is currently integrated with my whole-home intercom so that when you press the doorbell the intercom system actually does the "ding-dong" sound and then you can answer from any intercom panel. But the doorbell is not integrated with the security camera and the security camera is a side-profile, rather than a typical fisheye doorbell, so that's a bummer. So I think it's time for an upgrade to both doorbell and security camera and maybe even whole-house intercom.

    There are several WIFI doorbell cameras on the market but they have three problems:

    1. They're WIFI
    2. They look cheap when they're not flush-mounted. They look terrible - like they're stuck on with velcro.
    3. They generally don't integrate well with other systems. Too proprietary.

    I was thinking about updating to a flush-mounted (Power over Ethernet) POE doorbell/camera but it's a major step up in price:

    https://shop.ring.com/products/video-doorbell-elite

    I don't mind the price that much () but the real problem with Ring's solution is that I don't have control over the video stream - their cameras won't support an ONVIF feed for integration with BlueIris or other NVR-type recording systems. I think you're locked into using the Ring recording service and paying the monthly fee and all that. So I'm looking to go more DIY.

    Next stop on my research is the DoorBird:

    https://www.amazon.com/DoorBird-Station-D2101V-Stainless-Flush-mounted/dp/B076H65MQ3

    It's more expensive than the Ring Elite, but it supports an ONVIF feed that works with lots of different home automation or other systems so I can do whatever I want with the video feed, or play around with the 2-way voice stream or all kinds of interesting stuff.

    As far as ultimately getting the video feed as my Roku screensaver, I plan to use a Roku channel (app) like this: https://channelstore.roku.com/detail...era-viewer-pro and just point it to BlueIris to get video from all my cameras displayed on the Roku and as the screensaver, including the doorbell if I want. https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/able-to-view-all-live-cameras-groups-on-roku.19539

    But this is all just research at the moment. That's why it's my next project. I'll let you know what I finally end up with.

  5. #275
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I haven't actually done it yet. When we built the house 12 years ago I made sure I had a CAT6 drop to my doorbell and a CAT6 drop to my security camera on the front porch. The doorbell is currently integrated with my whole-home intercom so that when you press the doorbell the intercom system actually does the "ding-dong" sound and then you can answer from any intercom panel. But the doorbell is not integrated with the security camera and the security camera is a side-profile, rather than a typical fisheye doorbell, so that's a bummer. So I think it's time for an upgrade to both doorbell and security camera and maybe even whole-house intercom.

    There are several WIFI doorbell cameras on the market but they have three problems:

    1. They're WIFI
    2. They look cheap when they're not flush-mounted. They look terrible - like they're stuck on with velcro.
    3. They generally don't integrate well with other systems. Too proprietary.

    I was thinking about updating to a flush-mounted (Power over Ethernet) POE doorbell/camera but it's a major step up in price:

    https://shop.ring.com/products/video-doorbell-elite

    I don't mind the price that much () but the real problem with Ring's solution is that I don't have control over the video stream - their cameras won't support an ONVIF feed for integration with BlueIris or other NVR-type recording systems. I think you're locked into using the Ring recording service and paying the monthly fee and all that. So I'm looking to go more DIY.

    Next stop on my research is the DoorBird:

    https://www.amazon.com/DoorBird-Station-D2101V-Stainless-Flush-mounted/dp/B076H65MQ3

    It's more expensive than the Ring Elite, but it supports an ONVIF feed that works with lots of different home automation or other systems so I can do whatever I want with the video feed, or play around with the 2-way voice stream or all kinds of interesting stuff.

    As far as ultimately getting the video feed as my Roku screensaver, I plan to use a Roku channel (app) like this: https://channelstore.roku.com/detail...era-viewer-pro and just point it to BlueIris to get video from all my cameras displayed on the Roku and as the screensaver, including the doorbell if I want. https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/able-to-view-all-live-cameras-groups-on-roku.19539

    But this is all just research at the moment. That's why it's my next project. I'll let you know what I finally end up with.
    Interesting. I have a Ring doorbell. Would love to tie into the feed.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  6. #276
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    YouTubeTV going up to $50 starting 5/13. As much as I love it, I'm probably going to cancel for that price. I'm currently at $35/mo.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    YouTubeTV going up to $50 starting 5/13. As much as I love it, I'm probably going to cancel for that price. I'm currently at $35/mo.
    They finally did what my wife was wait for (added HGTV and food). 50 is steep though. Cutting the cord is already starting to look just as pricy as the old cable way.
    Last edited by LiveCoug; 04-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.

  8. #278
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    They finally did what my wife was wait for (added HGTV and food). 50 is strap though. Cutting the cord is already starting to look just as pricy as the old cable way.
    One way in which it is potentially better is how easy it is to turn it off and on during the year. Don't have to call some 800 number and convince a customer retention rep that you really do want to cancel and then have to deal with returning equipment and such.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  9. #279
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    They finally did what my wife was wait for (added HGTV and food). 50 is strap though. Cutting the cord is already starting to look just as pricy as the old cable way.
    Yep. And we still don't get to choose the channels that we want.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #280
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Cutting the cord is already starting to look just as pricy as the old cable way.
    10+ yrs later.... still paying $0/month.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  11. #281
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    10+ yrs later.... still paying $0/month.
    No wonder your 42-inch panasonic is in such good shape. Its gets no use.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  12. #282
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    YouTubeTV going up to $50 starting 5/13. As much as I love it, I'm probably going to cancel for that price. I'm currently at $35/mo.
    That sucks. Have zero interest in the new channels.

    However, one nice thing about YTTV is that you can share it with up to five family members. So I am sharing it with 3 other households with our adult kids. $12.50 per home is a deal. Everyone has their own settings, DVR, etc.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  13. #283
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That sucks. Have zero interest in the new channels.

    However, one nice thing about YTTV is that you can share it with up to five family members. So I am sharing it with 3 other households with our adult kids. $12.50 per home is a deal. Everyone has their own settings, DVR, etc.
    Are they actually paying you $12.50/mo?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  14. #284
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That sucks. Have zero interest in the new channels.

    However, one nice thing about YTTV is that you can share it with up to five family members. So I am sharing it with 3 other households with our adult kids. $12.50 per home is a deal. Everyone has their own settings, DVR, etc.
    No wonder they increased the price. Sheesh.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  15. #285
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Are they actually paying you $12.50/mo?
    Ha. No. A gift from Papa.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  16. #286
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ha. No. A gift from Papa.
    Are they actually calling you "Papa"?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  17. #287
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Are they actually calling you "Papa"?
    Papa San
    Dad
    Padre
    Pater Familias
    Etc.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #288
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Papa San
    Dad
    Padre
    Pater Familias
    Etc.
    G*d damn Pater Familias?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  19. #289
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    G*d damn Pater Familias?
    That works too.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #290
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    G*d damn Pater Familias?
    But is JL bona fide? I heard he was hit by a train!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  21. #291
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    But is JL bona fide? I heard he was hit by a train!
    I heard he's been banned from the Woolsworth.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  22. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I heard he's been banned from the Woolsworth.
    Just the one or the whole chain?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •