Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. reception is sometimes bad.
    2. comcast internet + phone is the same price.
    3. one number to get a hold of us.
    4. I hate holding my cell phone to my head for long periods of time. regular phone feels better. and those blue-tooth ear clips look stupid.
    5. my wife hates her cell phone, and refuses to use it until contract is up and can get a new one. 95% of the phone calls are for her, so.....
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

We got rid of our landline 2 years ago. We have 4 cell phones (myself, wife, 2 teenage daughters). The downside we see most often is when the girls are not home and my wife and I leave our 12 year old son home to babysit, he doesn't have a phone in case of an emergency. We have to leave him one of our phones. That's the biggest downside to not having a landline, but probably only applies if you have children.

Comment

I keep it b/c I have young kids and if they dial 9-1-1 our information automatically pops up.

I also intended to use it for my fax machine, but never got around to it. I should try this eFax business SCC referred to.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I think it may be time to get rid of my land-line phone. Everyone in the family has a cell phone number so what is the point? But looking at the rates, it appears that I will only save $15 or so per month by dropping phone service from my bundle. Then again, fifteen bucks is something.

Is there some good reason for keeping a land line that I haven't thought of?

(Yes, I am aware that many of you have already done this. Fee free to mock if you like)
          Nope. We've been rid of our land-line for 10 months and haven't regretted it one bit.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Got rid of the land line 4-5 years ago, I've never missed it. The cell phones are more expensive than the land line, but the cell phone is more than just a phone to me and my girls. When they are at their mother's house, the phones are a connection between the girls and I that is more meaningful than a land line.

Thankfully texting saves on minutes, my teen/pre-teen girls currently burn through about 4k texts every month.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

This is the scariest chart in the history of cable TV

What we're looking at here, via Wall Street research firm Pacific Crest, is cable subscriptions falling off a cliff.

In the first half of 2015, year-over-year growth in MVPD subscribers — "multichannel video programming distributor," or, in plain English, a cable company like Time Warner Cable or Comcast — went negative.

Over the past five years, the percent of households with cable subscriptions has been falling. But with year-over-year subscribers still seeing growth, however modest, cable companies were still able to look past what some had seen as a coming cord-cutting apocalypse.

Now, that is a reality.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cable...#ixzz3jDWxXc25

When, do you think, the cable companies will start metering their internet and charging for transfer?
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                When, do you think, the cable companies will start metering their internet and charging for transfer?
                When will they start? Comcast is already rolling it out.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

HBO NOW Goes Live On Roku

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/08/hbo...oming-to-roku/
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I think you meant this thread: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=Cutting+Cable

But still, hooray!
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      I think you meant this thread: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=Cutting+Cable

But still, hooray!
                      I thought there was an "official" thread somewhere, but was satisfied to find any thread.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

A nice guide...

The cord-cutter's guide to (legally) watching college football

Are you a frugal college football fan and/or a hip Millennial? Chances are, you’re one of many American TV consumers who’ve cut the cord!

But now that it’s college football season, you might feel obligated to buy back into the morass of high-dollar cable and satellite providers, just to enjoy the fabulous myriad of games across multiple networks each week.

Don’t do that, friend! (Unless you’re a Pac-12 fan.) We’ve assembled a quick guide on how to watch almost every college football game via non-traditional digital and streaming platforms.
                        [...]
                        http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...v-cord-cutting

If you are Pac-12 fan you will still need to be prepared to pay large amounts of money to (i.e, be raped by) Directv, Time Warner, Charter,.. ok, whatever cable/sat company that actually carries the P12N. Y'all might be better off just using illegal means to view the Pac-12 games...

:utetailgate:

Also, here are some handy guides to help find which channel the game is on:

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sKE/edit#gid=0

That second link highlights all the best games in navy blue.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
                            I assume you mean 100 mbps. You should be fine.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I assume you mean 100 mbps. You should be fine.
                              Lol. Don't be such a nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                Lol. Don't be such a nerd.
                                Hey! That's an important detail.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X