Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the cord

I get BYUTv via the Roku app but I generally just watch it over the air with my antenna and Tablo tuner. Tablo DVR is fantastic by the way.
    Live games on BYUTv are usually also simulcast on KBYU channel 11 locally.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I get BYUTv via the Roku app but I generally just watch it over the air with my antenna and Tablo tuner. Tablo DVR is fantastic by the way.
    Since I'm outside of Utah, the only broadcast of BYUtv we get is the DirecTV feed, which is not HD. So I use the Roku for most all BYUtv content.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

KBYU permanently simulcasts BYUtv now.

https://www.byutv.org/kbyu

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Only dummies buy "smart" TVs. And folks that invest in the proprietary Samsung and LG systems doubly so.
    Dude, you are a Luddite!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I used to have Apple TVs but switched to Rokus because I liked them better. I like my samsung smart TVs even better. Trying to get down to a single device and a single remote.
    That Samsung and Roku crap is full of holes... The Russians are most likely watching you right now scratching yourself, setting there on your Lazyboy in your G's.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    That Samsung and Roku crap is full of holes... The Russians are most likely watching you right now scratching yourself, setting there on your Lazyboy in your G's.
    We found that a relatively unsophisticated hacker could change channels, play offensive content, or crank up the volume, which might be deeply unsettling to someone who didn’t understand what was happening.
    OMG. That sounds awful.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

OMG. That sounds awful.
    I'm triggered.

WHERE'S MY SAFE SPACE?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I signed up for the free one week trial of Youtube TV. Works great! The only problem for me is that it lacks BYUTV and Root Sports (Jazz games). If it adds those, I am all in.
    Lol, wanting to watch the NBA. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Still not available in my area
    What the hell? My city is pushing 100K residents!

We tried PSVue for a couple of months, back to back with Sling. I liked the guide menu better, but Mrs. NWC learned Sling's eccentricities and didn't want to switch. So it's gone. As far as content, I really couldn't see much difference for us.
    youtube tv is going nationwide: https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/...-game-and.html

They may finally have you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    youtube tv is going nationwide: https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/...-game-and.html

Hope so...because we are cutting the cord right after the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Seems funny that I have access to it and you don't.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Are you getting an OTA antenna when you cut the cord? Get the antanna now and you won’t have any reason to wait until after the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Are you getting an OTA antenna when you cut the cord? Get the antanna now and you won’t have any reason to wait until after the SB.
    Pausing and rewinding big plays and funny commercials!!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

i got youtube tv (still have comcast at home) and it’s been great.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I just discovered that Plex offers a local OTA dvr option. I already have Plex Pass and a Plex server set up. I just ordered a digital OTA tuner and antenna so I am going to give it a shot. If this works I am adding YoutubeTV and cutting the cable.

I am covered!

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I am covered!

Thanks for the update!
    YW, despite the mean things you have said about me recently.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Pausing and rewinding big plays and funny commercials!!
    Tablo DVR

Tablo DVR
    I'm confused why people need an OTA DVR if they have youtubeTV. Do some of you not get Fox (or whoever has the superbowl this year) on youtubeTV?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I'm confused why people need an OTA DVR if they have youtubeTV. Do some of you not get Fox (or whoever has the superbowl this year) on youtubeTV?
    BYUTV. I want to be able to record and watch BYU sports.

EDIT: One nice feature of the Plex DVR I am anxious to try is a feature that automatically removes commercials.

Emailed BYUTV to see if they have any plans to get on YoutubeTV. Their response. Boo.

JAN 23, 2019 | 02:33PM MST

Thanks for your email. We unfortunately do not have any active plans to add BYUtv to the YouTubeTV channel line up. In the meantime, you can access our programming on byutv.org and on the BYUtv app available on iOS and Android devices, Roku, Fire TV and Xbox One and Apple TV.

Have a great day!

BYU Broadcasting Service Agent

Emailed BYUTV to see if they have any plans to get on YoutubeTV. Their response. Boo.
    Reply and tell them that the functionality of their apps is terrible, especially the dvr, and would be much better on youtubetv.

Tablo DVR
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

YW, despite the mean things you have said about me recently.
    Sorry. Dog hating is unforgivable. Otherwise, you are not too bad!

Reply and tell them that the functionality of their apps is terrible, especially the dvr, and would be much better on youtubetv.

The DVR functionality on the BYUtv Roku app seems to be pretty good. What problems are you having with their apps?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Why pay for Youtube TV when OTA is free (except for the Tablo DVR which is a heck of a lot cheaper than YouTube TV)?

YouTube is only offering the top 4 OTA channels in most markets. In the Boise market (and probably most others), that means the local affiliates for ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. While that probably covers most of what people would want, it excludes any other available OTA channels, including the digital sub-channels of the local affiliates and, in the SLC market, BYUtv (as JL mentioned). For example, the Boise State basketball games used to be carried on 7.2, the subchannel of the local NBC affiliate. There would be at least 3-4 people in the area that would be pretty upset if they couldn't get those games anymore.
    - Goatnapper'96

So Hulu just said they were raising my price. Football season is over now, which is the only TV programming I care about enough to pay for, so I just cancelled Hulu.

I'll sign up with Youtube or Hulu or PlaystationTV or Sling or whatever gives me the best deals and options when football season rolls around again.

Why pay for Youtube TV when OTA is free (except for the Tablo DVR which is a heck of a lot cheaper than YouTube TV)?
    This discussion began with Tick saying he was cutting the cord and getting YoutubeTV after the superbowl. Then chrisenrut said just get an OTA antenna now and cut the cord now. My question was, why do you need the antenna for the SB? YoutubeTV already has the top local networks, including whichever one has the superbowl. And it has a built-in DVR. I get that there are other OTA channels that a few people might like, but that doesn't fit into the original discussion of cutting the cord after the SB.

But whatever. Enjoy your Tablo DVR.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

for one i can watch youtube tv from any device anywhere.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.