No announcement yet.

Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is almost a year old, but it details how ESPN and TNT, and by extension the NBA, are thundering towards the edge of the cliff and not taking their foot off the gas.

So how many of those ten million NBA fans would pay for the NBA if it wasn't already a part of their cable bills? Let's be generous and say it's two million diehard fans, the same number paying for the NFL Sunday Ticket.

That would mean that the NBA's television package on the open market offered direct to fans would garner $540 million a year.

That's a deficit of over $2 billion dollars.

So if the market would only support a payment of $540 million and the market is actually paying nearly $2.7 billion, that's the very definition of a bubble. (The reason ESPN and TNT are paying this much of a premium is two fold: 1. their market is artifically propped up by subscribers who never watch their network and 2. the bubble only stays afloat if you can justify your monthly subscriber fees. Which means, you guessed it, you have to overspend.)
    http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/th...ainable-070616
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      This article is almost a year old, but it details how ESPN and TNT, and by extension the NBA, are thundering towards the edge of the cliff and not taking their foot off the gas.

Outkick had a mailbag question today about if a guy should join Mormonism to marry his girlfriend.

"My girlfriend wants me to change my religion for her in order to get married but Mormons are weird. I really like this girl but don't want to have to wear funny underwear for the rest of my life or give up drinking. What do I do?"

All religions are weird if you don't grow up in them. Think about what Christians believe if you just heard about Christianity. "So you believe the Son of God was born in a manger to a virgin two thousand years ago? And that this dude named Jesus rose from the dead three days after he was crucified and ascended into heaven?"

I mean, let's just take a step back and pretend that one of your buddies came to you and said, "So I'm dating this chick named Mary and we've never had sex before, but she's pregnant now and she claims she's still a virgin and that God made her pregnant. And I totally believe her because she would never lie to me. Should I stay with her?"

Every single person reading this would say no, right?

Yet that's what happened to Joseph according to Christians. And everyone who is religious will get mad at me for saying I think it's way more likely that Joseph and Mary were playing just the tip and Joseph got carried away and then later they decided to say God got Mary pregnant.

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I'm just not buying supernatural pregnancies.

My point is simple -- all religions require crazy, illogical leaps of faith.

The crazy thing about the Mormon faith is it requires all these leaps of faith to happen AFTER AMERICA BECAME A COUNTRY.

George Washington is older than Mormonism.

So, anyway, if you really love this girl you become a Jack Mormon. There are plenty of people just like you, Mormons in name who continue to do non-Mormon things. For instance, you can still drink, not wear Mormon underwear and drink caffeine and call yourself a Mormon.

I'd be straightforward with your potential partner, tell her you're fine with changing religions but you aren't going to change your behavior when it comes to alcohol and underwear.

If she's not okay with that and you truly aren't willing to budge either that's fine, but you guys need to break up.

You could also do what most people do when it comes to religion, say you're religious but only so you get more likes on your Facebook posts. Hell, this got Trump elected President. It's not like you have to pass a test. (Note: you may have to pass a test to become Mormon, I have no idea. And if that's the case there is no woman alive I would study to pass a religion test to marry. Not one.)

I would, however, be fine doing what most people do when they change religions -- don't change your life at all but announce you're now a new religion.

At least that's what I did when I became Muslim. And if there's one thing I've learned since then it's that most Muslims are very easy going and don't take their religion that seriously.
      Clay can be a button pushing annoyance, but he is dead on that ESPN becoming the network of liberal message mixed with sports instead of just sports has hastened the downfall.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

That's an interesting article. Thanks.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

This stuff makes me worry about the BYU/ESPN partnership going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
            Easy one to cut. At the same time, a little contract like that one is only a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
              Easy one to cut. At the same time, a little contract like that one is only a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
              I would be pretty surprised if BYU holds out for lots of cash. And with the infrastructure in place, it's got to be cost-effective for ESPN to broadcast BYU games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Outkick had a mailbag question today about if a guy should join Mormonism to marry his girlfriend.

Clay can be a button pushing annoyance, but he is dead on that ESPN becoming the network of liberal message mixed with sports instead of just sports has hastened the downfall.
                At first glance this seems counter-intuitive to me. Millennials are more likely to cut cord + Millennials are significantly more liberal = Happy customers. However, like most of the equations I wrote on my organic chemistry tests, I was missing the obvious disconnect:

* Millennials are going to cut the cord, regardless of what the content is. See: Thrones, Game of. ESPN's main audience >35 YO males + 40YO white males are more likely to be conservative = Unhappy customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  At first glance this seems counter-intuitive to me. Millennials are more likely to cut cord + Millennials are significantly more liberal = Happy customers. However, like most of the equations I wrote on my organic chemistry tests, I was missing the obvious disconnect:

* Millennials are going to cut the cord, regardless of what the content is. See: Thrones, Game of. ESPN's main audience >35 YO males + 40YO white males are more likely to be conservative = Unhappy customers.
                  Plus, as the Outkick article (if not this one, another one of his) shows, sports viewers are overwhelmingly conservative. ESPN is throwing out a lot of liberal content to a very conservative audience.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

huh? hbo go is thriving because of the content.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      Isn't HBOGO one of the prime examples of cord cutting? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought HBO allowed people to pay for GO without being an actual HBO subscriber.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        Comparing hbo is dumb. HBO has always been subscription based outside of a normal cable package. ESPN doesn't have that and likely couldn't succeed that way under their current contracts.

I've been ignorant to ESPN's liberal content since I don't watch their none sports stuff. But I just saw that they are now publishing feminist poetry Yeah, no wonder they are tanking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          Isn't HBOGO one of the prime examples of cord cutting? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought HBO allowed people to pay for GO without being an actual HBO subscriber.
                          maybe. my point is, content is the only thing that matters.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Comparing hbo is dumb. HBO has always been subscription based outside of a normal cable package. ESPN doesn't have that and likely couldn't succeed that way under their current contracts.

I've been ignorant to ESPN's liberal content since I don't watch their none sports stuff. But I just saw that they are now publishing feminist poetry Yeah, no wonder they are tanking.

I would actually pay a small fee for ESPN content. I'm a cord cutter and currently have PlaystationVue, Hulu, and HBO Now. I normally get ESPN from PSV but I'm getting rid of PSV for the summer. In the interim I'd pay for ESPN.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                              I would actually pay a small fee for ESPN content. I'm a cord cutter and currently have PlaystationVue, Hulu, and HBO Now. I normally get ESPN from PSV but I'm getting rid of PSV for the summer. In the interim I'd pay for ESPN.
                              I would pay for it as well, however I'd only watch live games. If I want to see highlights, I go to their website (or app) and watch highlights of games I care about. Gone are the days that I have to sit through 20 minutes of baseball highlights before being able to watch Laker highlights.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                If you paid the same monthly fee that every other cable and satellite subscriber currently pays, your monthly figure would be about $7. I would pay that. The problem is, once that a la carte option becomes available, the whole system comes crumbling down and $7/mo will no longer cover ESPN's costs. It needs all $92 million cable and satellite subscribers to pay that amount. The vast majority of those subscribers would not pay it if they had the option.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X