No announcement yet.

Cutting the cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Youtube TV; it's way better than Sling. After the first 2 days of the free trial, I cancelled Sling. It's just better and easier to use. Using the DVR to watch the game was seamless. It's a little cumbersome to use with an Apple TV remote, but the remote on our newer LG TV works great.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      One less than before!

Bedroom: 1
      Family room: 2
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        We have a few Apple TV's that we connect to our wifi with hulu and netflix and I have HFN's dirty channel passwords for the tv in my home office. It works great and took about five minutes to set up, though I'm sure I could have gone with something way more complex with minimal benefit.
        Dude, you set up netflix? Way to go!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Update on Youtube TV; it's way better than Sling. After the first 2 days of the free trial, I cancelled Sling. It's just better and easier to use. Using the DVR to watch the game was seamless. It's a little cumbersome to use with an Apple TV remote, but the remote on our newer LG TV works great.
          agreed. it’s great.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Update on Youtube TV; it's way better than Sling. After the first 2 days of the free trial, I cancelled Sling. It's just better and easier to use. Using the DVR to watch the game was seamless. It's a little cumbersome to use with an Apple TV remote, but the remote on our newer LG TV works great.
            nice

Comment

Still weird how it's the only major streaming service that doesn't work with Amazon Fire TV. I'd be willing to try it otherwise. Playstation Vue isn't perfect but it usually gets the job done for us. Sometimes, especially at night the stream can pause a lot. I'm not sure what that is. If it's my internet, other services I have don't seem affected, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.
              Last edited by BlueK; 02-06-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                Still weird how it's the only major streaming service that doesn't work with Amazon Fire TV. I'd be willing to try it otherwise. Playstation Vue isn't perfect but it gets the job done for us.
                It's due to a long-running feud between Google and Amazon. It's the last piece to missing from my streaming experience perfect.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Still weird how it's the only major streaming service that doesn't work with Amazon Fire TV. I'd be willing to try it otherwise. Playstation Vue isn't perfect but it usually gets the job done for us. Sometimes, especially at night the stream can pause a lot. I'm not sure what that is. If it's my internet, other services I have don't seem affected, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.
                  I don't do Fire. I tried Playstation Vue for a month, but it wasn't appreciably better than Sling IMO. What I really like about YouTube TV is that it includes the local broadcast stations. I don't need to switch over to my antenna anymore.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

OK, I got my dig ant and tuner set up. Went into Plex and set up the live tv and dvr function. The whole process was trivial and it works beautifully. When you change a channel it takes a few seconds for the channel to start streaming, but haven't had any issues with buffering or pixelation yet. I have a great signal for BYUTV and that is the only one I really care about, so this should work.

The Samsung TV plex app kind of sucks, but it works well enough. I have an Apple TV in the other room with my not-so-smart LG TV and the Plex app there is awesome.

Turned on Youtube TV again. Works great.

A couple of little issues to work out and I will be cutting that cord.
                    Recap: I installed a 2-tuner HDHomeRun device that attaches to a digital antenna and to an ethernet jack. It distributes the digital OTA channels over your home network. Plex connects to this to provide DVR functionality and to add a nice interface to the channel list.

Last night I noticed that my Samsung TVs automatically detect the HDHomeRun device over the network. If I click on that source it pops up a list of channels. So if all I want to do it watch live TV, I don't even need to use the Plex app. Picture quality is great. Very nice.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Recap: I installed a 2-tuner HDHomeRun device that attaches to a digital antenna and to an ethernet jack. It distributes the digital OTA channels over your home network. Plex connects to this to provide DVR functionality and to add a nice interface to the channel list.

Last night I noticed that my Samsung TVs automatically detect the HDHomeRun device over the network. If I click on that source it pops up a list of channels. So if all I want to do it watch live TV, I don't even need to use the Plex app. Picture quality is great. Very nice.
                      Hmm... that is nice. Is that some kind of app in the Samsung smart tv? Couldn't you just split antenna wire and run the antenna signal into the HD tuner of the Samsung TV as well?

I suspect there would be a load on the HDHomeRun, not to mention your network, if it was feeding both the Plex server and the TV (e.g., if you were recording BYU TV and watching another stream on the TV). If you had coax splitter and feed the signal to your TVs then HDHomeRun would only be feeding one stream on your network, just to the plex server.

BTW, I assume that your plex server transcodes MPEG2 [video encoding of HDTV] to MPEG4 when you are DVR'ing something. How's the load on your Mac Mini when it does this?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't do Fire. I tried Playstation Vue for a month, but it wasn't appreciably better than Sling IMO. What I really like about YouTube TV is that it includes the local broadcast stations. I don't need to switch over to my antenna anymore.
                        The last time I looked YouTube TV didn't have the NFL network... this could be a deal breaker for me. I like NFL RedZone when I am not watching the Cowboys.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Google doesn't like to play fair with others... but you can load 3rd party apps to get the job done: e.g., http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-watch...fire-tv-stick/
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

so does Vue. At least for my area it does.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I have found that this pausing is a fire TV issue for me. If the family has been bouncing around between netflix, hulu, youtube, hbo and prime the PSvue app on the fire TV will start to pause stutter. If I reboot the fire TV which takes about 30 second it solves the issue. I have not had this issue with the apple TV (upstairs bedroom) or the PS4 which is in the other family room.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                The last time I looked YouTube TV didn't have the NFL network... this could be a deal breaker for me. I like NFL RedZone when I am not watching the Cowboys.
                                It still doesn’t have it.

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                so does Vue. At least for my area it does.
                                It might have had one local station when I tried it out a few months ago. But not all the major ones. I guess it might have changed by now.
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X