Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 117

Thread: Cutting the cord

  1. #1
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,669

    Default Cutting the cord

    I think it may be time to get rid of my land-line phone. Everyone in the family has a cell phone number so what is the point? But looking at the rates, it appears that I will only save $15 or so per month by dropping phone service from my bundle. Then again, fifteen bucks is something.

    Is there some good reason for keeping a land line that I haven't thought of?

    (Yes, I am aware that many of you have already done this. Fee free to mock if you like)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I think it may be time to get rid of my land-line phone. Everyone in the family has a cell phone number so what is the point? But looking at the rates, it appears that I will only save $15 or so per month by dropping phone service from my bundle. Then again, fifteen bucks is something.

    Is there some good reason for keeping a land line that I haven't thought of?

    (Yes, I am aware that many of you have already done this. Fee free to mock if you like)
    Church. I hate when people from church call me on my cell. Though I set up a google voice number for that.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  4. #4
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,491

    Default

    I thought this was going to be a thread about DDD moving out of his In laws basement. What a disappointment.

    MJ and I both only have cell phones. There are no drawbacks since all our babysitters also have their own phones.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  5. #5
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,933

    Default

    Your name won't be in the phone boom anymore.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  6. #6

    Default

    I didn't have a land line for the longest time, but about a year ago I was talking to a Comcast Rep who told me if I added a land line to my cable/internet service, the package would be cheaper than what I was currently paying. I only use it for conference calls, but I'm glad I have it.

  7. #7
    To Win is to Honor Him doctorcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    When there is a natural disaster and the power is out...the land line works while the cell/VOIP doesn't.
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

  8. #8

    Default

    Land lines don't cause cancer.

    We still have a land line. But our kids don't have cell phones. Also, if I am home, I use my land line, as I have limited minutes on my cell phone.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

    -Teenage Dirtbag

  9. #9

    Default

    Ditto for conference calls. When the meeting is over an hour long, I'd rather have the option of easily muting my microphone.

    We are also bundled with Internet and cable. I know the price would go up, but I'm not sure how much. It just seems that we still use the land line enough to keep it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Fax

    I never had a land line hooked up at this house. Every so often I miss the ability to fax something.

  11. #11
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Fax

    I never had a land line hooked up at this house. Every so often I miss the ability to fax something.
    I've got efax. It works pretty well.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  12. #12
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    18,875

    Default

    I cut the cord some time ago but replaced it with an Ooma box. Space Ghost told me about it. The quality is very good and the monthly fee can be low as $3 something per month (including domestic long distance). I pay $10 per month for the premier features including a second number, conference calling, personal and community blacklisting (go straight to voicemail), anonymous call reject (again, sends them straight to VM), etc. Like others on here I use it mainly for conference calls and other times when the voice quality on a cell phone just doesn't cut it.

    TIP: when buying a box call them up and ask for a refurb. You can save quite a bit buying a refurb.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  13. #13
    Straight Out the Trailer Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    I pay $10.00 a month for a landline simply because my wife always loses her cell phone.

  14. #14

    Default

    I've been using Vonage since its inception but the price has gradually increased over the years. I am currently trying out the Obi100 which can be used with Google Voice for free (no taxes either) if you have broadband:

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp/B004LO098O"]Amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21zVbEl8mLL.@@AMEPARAM@@21zVbEl8mLL[/ame]

    Definitely not as good as Vonage but for a $40 investment with no monthly fees or taxes (I think you pay taxes with Ooma), it has been pretty good. If Google starts to charge for Voice--they have committed to being free for at least 2012--then you may have to find another VOIP option.

  15. #15

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorcoug View Post
    When there is a natural disaster and the power is out...the land line works while the cell/VOIP doesn't.
    Even most land lines today (those that are left, anyway) require some kind of electricity, so the power goes out, you're still screwed. Having lived through two hurricanes, though, we found that people who did have land lines they could use still couldn't get through to anyone because everyone ELSE needed electricity to use THEIR phones

  16. #16

    Default

    1. reception is sometimes bad.
    2. comcast internet + phone is the same price.
    3. one number to get a hold of us.
    4. I hate holding my cell phone to my head for long periods of time. regular phone feels better. and those blue-tooth ear clips look stupid.
    5. my wife hates her cell phone, and refuses to use it until contract is up and can get a new one. 95% of the phone calls are for her, so.....
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  17. #17

    Default

    We got rid of our landline 2 years ago. We have 4 cell phones (myself, wife, 2 teenage daughters). The downside we see most often is when the girls are not home and my wife and I leave our 12 year old son home to babysit, he doesn't have a phone in case of an emergency. We have to leave him one of our phones. That's the biggest downside to not having a landline, but probably only applies if you have children.

  18. #18
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,755

    Default

    I keep it b/c I have young kids and if they dial 9-1-1 our information automatically pops up.

    I also intended to use it for my fax machine, but never got around to it. I should try this eFax business SCC referred to.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  19. #19
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I think it may be time to get rid of my land-line phone. Everyone in the family has a cell phone number so what is the point? But looking at the rates, it appears that I will only save $15 or so per month by dropping phone service from my bundle. Then again, fifteen bucks is something.

    Is there some good reason for keeping a land line that I haven't thought of?

    (Yes, I am aware that many of you have already done this. Fee free to mock if you like)
    Nope. We've been rid of our land-line for 10 months and haven't regretted it one bit.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  20. #20
    Senior Member lambdacoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Posts
    3,993

    Default

    Got rid of the land line 4-5 years ago, I've never missed it. The cell phones are more expensive than the land line, but the cell phone is more than just a phone to me and my girls. When they are at their mother's house, the phones are a connection between the girls and I that is more meaningful than a land line.

    Thankfully texting saves on minutes, my teen/pre-teen girls currently burn through about 4k texts every month.

  21. #21
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    18,875

    Default

    This is the scariest chart in the history of cable TV


    What we're looking at here, via Wall Street research firm Pacific Crest, is cable subscriptions falling off a cliff.


    In the first half of 2015, year-over-year growth in MVPD subscribers — "multichannel video programming distributor," or, in plain English, a cable company like Time Warner Cable or Comcast — went negative.


    Over the past five years, the percent of households with cable subscriptions has been falling. But with year-over-year subscribers still seeing growth, however modest, cable companies were still able to look past what some had seen as a coming cord-cutting apocalypse.


    Now, that is a reality.

    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cable...#ixzz3jDWxXc25






    When, do you think, the cable companies will start metering their internet and charging for transfer?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  22. #22
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    When, do you think, the cable companies will start metering their internet and charging for transfer?
    When will they start? Comcast is already rolling it out.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  23. #23
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,415
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  24. #24
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I think you meant this thread: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=Cutting+Cable

    But still, hooray!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  25. #25
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I think you meant this thread: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=Cutting+Cable

    But still, hooray!
    I thought there was an "official" thread somewhere, but was satisfied to find any thread.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  26. #26
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    18,875

    Default

    A nice guide...

    The cord-cutter's guide to (legally) watching college football

    Are you a frugal college football fan and/or a hip Millennial? Chances are, you’re one of many American TV consumers who’ve cut the cord!

    But now that it’s college football season, you might feel obligated to buy back into the morass of high-dollar cable and satellite providers, just to enjoy the fabulous myriad of games across multiple networks each week.

    Don’t do that, friend! (Unless you’re a Pac-12 fan.) We’ve assembled a quick guide on how to watch almost every college football game via non-traditional digital and streaming platforms.
    [...]
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...v-cord-cutting

    If you are Pac-12 fan you will still need to be prepared to pay large amounts of money to (i.e, be raped by) Directv, Time Warner, Charter,.. ok, whatever cable/sat company that actually carries the P12N. Y'all might be better off just using illegal means to view the Pac-12 games...



    Also, here are some handy guides to help find which channel the game is on:

    http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...sKE/edit#gid=0

    That second link highlights all the best games in navy blue.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #27
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,491

    Default

    I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

    One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  28. #28
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm this close to cutting the cord. In fact, I'm currently redoing some of the wiring in my house to make internet available in all necessary rooms. Cat5 cable runs to all rooms but I'm hooking it all up to ethernet plugs and putting in a switch in the panel.

    One question, what download speed is needed to cut the cord? I'd probably stream at max 3 different videos at once. We currently get around 100mps, which I assume is overkill, but just want to make sure.
    I assume you mean 100 mbps. You should be fine.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I assume you mean 100 mbps. You should be fine.
    Lol. Don't be such a nerd.

  30. #30
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Lol. Don't be such a nerd.
    Hey! That's an important detail.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •