Makin' Bacon! (and other cured meats)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJF View Post
    So while you guys run across the country to stay in shape, I'm losing weight by eating things like this:

I'm down over 80 pounds since August 13th. I like my way better.
    That's awesome, CJF! (I refer to both the bacon and the weight loss.)
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      Are you doing Atkins? That is great looking bacon!!!
      Yes on the Atkins. Lots of green veggies and mostly lean meats, although I get my fair share of bacon. I bake it up and will grab a slice out of the fridge for a snack. Keeps me from cheating and it keeps me satisfied.
      Last edited by CJF; 12-20-2012, 02:05 AM.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

This thread deserves a bump.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Links no worky worky.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

O, hai. I'm new to the intenet.

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

It's been a year minus one day since I got the Charcuterie book for Christmas last year so I figured it was high time I give it a try. Will update with more photos through the process.

2013-12-24 16.23.20.jpg

It was a 12 lb pork belly ...pretty big. I cut it into thirds so they would fit in a 2-gallon ziplock. Trimmed for easy slicing too.

2013-12-24 16.30.19.jpg

The cure is the basic dry cure straight out of the Charcuterie book. I'll experiment more later but I figure this first time is the baseline.

1 lb. kosher salt
              13 oz. corn sugar
              5 oz. pink salt

2013-12-24 16.30.22.jpg

Dredged each part in the cure then put in ziplock bag and shook it up. This is the trimmings ... figured they'd be good for putting in baked beans, etc.

2013-12-24 16.25.59.jpg
              Ready for the fridge. Will be turning them every other day for a total of 7 days of curing. Will update here then.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                It's been a year minus one day since I got the Charcuterie book for Christmas last year so I figured it was high time I give it a try. Will update with more photos through the process.

[ATTACH]3612[/ATTACH]

It was a 12 lb pork belly ...pretty big. I cut it into thirds so they would fit in a 2-gallon ziplock. Trimmed for easy slicing too.

[ATTACH]3614[/ATTACH]

The cure is the basic dry cure straight out of the Charcuterie book. I'll experiment more later but I figure this first time is the baseline.

1 lb. kosher salt
                13 oz. corn sugar
                5 oz. pink salt

[ATTACH]3615[/ATTACH]

Dredged each part in the cure then put in ziplock bag and shook it up. This is the trimmings ... figured they'd be good for putting in baked beans, etc.

[ATTACH]3613[/ATTACH]
                Ready for the fridge. Will be turning them every other day for a total of 7 days of curing. Will update here then.
                And...?
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Took it out of the cure and rinsed well tonight. Going to smoke it tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                    Took it out of the cure and rinsed well tonight. Going to smoke it tomorrow.

It looks like it would be really good. I'd love to hear about it once you get a chance to try it.

Comment

Smoking at 180 with hickory

Comment

FM what is the purpose of putting the bellies on an additional grate?
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

what's the cost per pound with everything of making your own? how does it compare to nice bacon you can buy at a decent grocery store (harmons)?
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I need to try this someday.

Keep the pics coming, FM.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Just took off the smoker

Removing the skin

And finally ...

Guess I could make a football with this...

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                FM what is the purpose of putting the bellies on an additional grate?
                                No big reason. Traeger grate was kind of dirty and I carried them out there on those.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                what's the cost per pound with everything of making your own? how does it compare to nice bacon you can buy at a decent grocery store (harmons)?
                                I think it will end up being cheaper. The belly was $35 for 12 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X