• Show
Clear All

um, that looks really good.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

That looks great! Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Just put 20 pounds to bed. I'm trying four different flavors. Can't wait to try it. I'll be on the road almost all of July, so I may have to wait a while.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I smoked the bellies and sliced them up today. I have been incredibly busy so I took no photos. The results were heavenly.

I did the same basic maple again. This time I added a bit more sugar and syrup after curing and before smoking. Very good breakfast bacon. I sliced it a little thicker than normal bacon but a little less think than regular thick cut bacon. Basically pig candy. Very good. My sister who only rarely eats chicken was over as I was frying up a couple of test slices. She took a bite and then another and another and then a package home.

The second group was supposed to be three different flavors but I forgot and put the same rub on all three sections. The cure was lots of fresh garlic, cracked black pepper, crushed bay leaves, along with the normal cure ingredients. After curing I rubbed with garlic powder, onion powder, lemon herbs, smoked paprika, and freshly ground pepper. Sliced it the same thickness as the maple. Turned out very different. We had BLTs tonight. I had a bite of the savory bacon before dinner. It was interesting. Putting it on a sandwich with good wheat bread, garden fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and it really popped. Best BLT I've ever had. Incredible blending flavors.

Of the 20 pounds I got about 17 pound of bacon and about a pound of lardons. I bought the belly for $2.99 a pound, so I did ok. Better than I can buy and a lot less expensive.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
            I smoked the bellies and sliced them up today. I have been incredibly busy so I took no photos. The results were heavenly.

I did the same basic maple again. This time I added a bit more sugar and syrup after curing and before smoking. Very good breakfast bacon. I sliced it a little thicker than normal bacon but a little less think than regular thick cut bacon. Basically pig candy. Very good. My sister who only rarely eats chicken was over as I was frying up a couple of test slices. She took a bite and then another and another and then a package home.

The second group was supposed to be three different flavors but I forgot and put the same rub on all three sections. The cure was lots of fresh garlic, cracked black pepper, crushed bay leaves, along with the normal cure ingredients. After curing I rubbed with garlic powder, onion powder, lemon herbs, smoked paprika, and freshly ground pepper. Sliced it the same thickness as the maple. Turned out very different. We had BLTs tonight. I had a bite of the savory bacon before dinner. It was interesting. Putting it on a sandwich with good wheat bread, garden fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and it really popped. Best BLT I've ever had. Incredible blending flavors.

Of the 20 pounds I got about 17 pound of bacon and about a pound of lardons. I bought the belly for $2.99 a pound, so I did ok. Better than I can buy and a lot less expensive.
            Congratulations. What a grand experiment!
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

where does one buy pork bellies?
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                where does one buy pork bellies?
                A butcher. Also, pork belly is fairly common in quite a few Asian counties. If you have a decent sized Asian market close by, they should carry it.

Comment

Just had a brainstorm. I got the Charcuterie book for my birthday and I have all those small, over-trimmed briskets ... sounds like time to try my hand at some Pastrami!
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                      Just had a brainstorm. I got the Charcuterie book for my birthday and I have all those small, over-trimmed briskets ... sounds like time to try my hand at some Pastrami!
                      I'm very interested in how that turns out. Take pictures.

Comment

I'm very interested in how that turns out. Take pictures.
                        Will do. I have 60 lbs of brisket to smoke before I even start thinking about it.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I had a couple of frozen corned beef briskets from the post-St. Patrick's sales this year and decided to try smoking one yesterday for pastrami. Smoked it basically the same as a regular brisket and it turned out delicious. Dinner was hot sliced pastrami sandwiches with provolone, garden tomatoes, lettuce, and grilled onions on a butter-grilled sourdough roll. Very BLT-esque in taste. Sorry, no pics.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                            I had a couple of frozen corned beef briskets from the post-St. Patrick's sales this year and decided to try smoking one yesterday for pastrami. Smoked it basically the same as a regular brisket and it turned out delicious. Dinner was hot sliced pastrami sandwiches with provolone, garden tomatoes, lettuce, and grilled onions on a butter-grilled sourdough roll. Very BLT-esque in taste. Sorry, no pics.
                            Sounds delish. Post pics next time
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

So while you guys run across the country to stay in shape, I'm losing weight by eating things like this:

I'm down over 80 pounds since August 13th. I like my way better.

Comment

So while you guys run across the country to stay in shape, I'm losing weight by eating things like this:

I'm down over 80 pounds since August 13th. I like my way better.
                                Are you doing Atkins? That is great looking bacon!!!
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X