Makin' Bacon! (and other cured meats)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Just did a little digging and comprar is posting from Belarus. Banned.

You had a nice run, comprar. RIP.
    Damn, I liked that bot. He was a little materialistic, but I felt he added to the community.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Wow. Turns out JL is kind of a Xenophobe. Banning people just because they are from the UK, Belarus, etc.

RIP LeedsCougar and comprar.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        Wow. Turns out JL is kind of a Xenophobe. Banning people just because they are from the UK, Belarus, etc.

#makeamericagreatagain
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

His pissed off the Albanians and now the Belarusians. Heaven help us.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Just did a little digging and comprar is posting from Belarus. Banned.

You had a nice run, comprar. RIP.
            WTH? A guy goes out of his way to pay me a compliment and you kick him out?
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

You guys are all sexist pigs; comprar is definitely a female bot.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The pork belly at Costco makes great bacon. Just pulled my 5th batch off. Each one has turned out great. For about $3.50 a pound all in, this is truly Costco’s best deal.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

A lot of people missing in action from this thread. I gave pork belly a whirl this past week, with a 9lb belly from Costco. Pretty simple cure, with equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar, a little pink curing salt, and some maple syrup. I cut the belly into 2 halves to fit into 2gal bags and turned the bellies once a day. After 6 days I rinsed them off well, but didn't soak them, and let them dry in the fridge for a day. Smoked at 180 using Champion's blend pellets. After cooling for an hour in the fridge, I cut a few slices and fried them up. They were a bit salty on the ends, which were more exposed to the cure, but the middle was great. The belly was actually fairly lean, and had almost more of a ham flavor and texture than bacon. I'll have to try different ways to cook them up, for variety.

20191110_171900.jpg

Comment

• That looks amazing.

Comment

• Nice work. I have been making about 50 pounds a month because I made the mistake of bringing some of mine to a ward event. I’ve had about 6 or so neighbors ask me to make it for them on a regular basis and a few one offs each month. Once you have the good stuff, it’s really hard to go back.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• The dad of one of my ministering families is smoking bacon to fundraise for his son's soccer at $10/pound. I ordered four pounds.

Comment

• Funny story to go along with the bacon... I gave a pound of bacon to my bishop, who also likes to smoke meats from time to time. He loved it. He came up to me at church a week or two ago with a big grin on his face and said he'd julienned some of the bacon to put into yakisoba. His young kids said, skeptically, 'Isn't that bacon?' He replied, 'No, it's pork belly!', which satisfied them.

Comment

• A buddy of mine and I tried pastrami. He is an avid hunter so we did beef using brisket and he did a couple of goose breasts. I didn’t get any pictures of the goose but it turned out well. Our families got together tonight to make pastrami burgers. Really simple and really good.

D91EA8CE-9658-4823-A815-FCC6DA3C88DA.jpg 6840917A-261C-4DCB-B67E-498464785C92.jpg 9A7ABB8C-DF44-4835-874E-40EB0CF3DEA2.jpg 834D9971-BF59-4D54-A204-CA657F84B9FF.jpg

Comment

• That looks awesome. How long did you let it cure?

Comment

Working...
                                X