Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter Sunday Dinner (Don't look, Cowboy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Beef spareribs
    New potatoes, mashed
    Brown Gravy
    Fresh corn on the cob (living close to Florida has its benefits) with Irish butter.
    Attaboy!
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Bacon wrapped chicken appetizers
      Lamb
      Yogurt Chicken (for those too chicken in our family to eat lamb)
      Salad
      Mashed potatoes
      Parm roasted cauliflower
      Chocolate dream cake w/vanilla ice cream

All in all a great meal and my son even enjoyed the lamb!

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Can frogeye salad be considered a guilty food pleasure? I mean, does it get any more easy Mormon mix some odd canned/premade ingredients into a bowl, but dang, that stuff is good. Mmm....
        We had frogeye salad today. I requested it.

We went for full-on Mormon comfort food:

Frogeye salad
        Greed salad (it had pea pods!)
        Freshly-made rolls
        Funeral potatoes
        Pineapple-glazed ham
        Brisket (no smoker, so I used KC's instructions from the brisket thread)
        Cheescake and apple pie for desert

I was very happy with how the brisket turned out and the frogeye salad was divine.

Then we watched the Master's. I was sad that Phil didn't pull it out. He could never recover from that triple-bogey.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          We had frogeye salad today. I requested it.

We went for full-on Mormon comfort food:

Frogeye salad
          Greed salad (it had pea pods!)
          Freshly-made rolls
          Funeral potatoes
          Pineapple-glazed ham
          Brisket (no smoker, so I used KC's instructions from the brisket thread)
          Cheescake and apple pie for desert

I was very happy with how the brisket turned out and the frogeye salad was divine.

Then we watched the Master's. I was sad that Phil didn't pull it out. He could never recover from that triple-bogey.
          Wow...I'm not sure how you got my incomprehensible statement, but yeah--frogeye salad is gooooood...

Spiral cut ham
          My wife's rad fresh rolls
          Salad
          Grilled Asparagus
          Funky cheesecake for dessert--I would have preferred frogeye salad here.

The salad was really good but I was in sort of a daze (having worked last night and now again tonight) so I can't really describe it in detail.

I think next year, I'm requesting frogeye salad and lamb (thanks, risicam).
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Breakfast:
            French toast made with the chunky cinnamon bread from Kneaders
            Buttermilk syrup
            Whipped cream
            blueberries, mangos, strawberries, bananas

Dinner:
            Grilled New York strip steaks
            Grilled onions
            Tossed green salad
            (enjoyed our first dinner of the year on the covered patio in the back yard)
            Fresh sugar cookies for dessert
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Wild Mushrooms and Shrimp over grit cakes at Top of the Hill restaurant in Chapel Hill.

Oh, and fried pickles and jalapenos for appetizer.

It wasn't the most traditional Easter we have ever had. It's what happens when your son surprises you by coming home for Easter, and when you ask him when he is going back, he replies "I have class on Monday, so whenever before that you want to take me".

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                Wild Mushrooms and Shrimp over grit cakes at Top of the Hill restaurant in Chapel Hill.

Oh, and fried pickles and jalapenos for appetizer.

It wasn't the most traditional Easter we have ever had. It's what happens when your son surprises you by coming home for Easter, and when you ask him when he is going back, he replies "I have class on Monday, so whenever before that you want to take me".
                LOL! Youth.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

It was pretty ridiculous. I ate too much.

Glazed ham smoked on the grill (- in a good way)
                  Twice baked Potatoes au gratin, infused with smoked cheddar.
                  Baked cauliflower
                  Spinach salad w vinaigrette
                  Deviled eggs
                  Strawberry pie
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

We stepped outside of our comfort zone and invited several neighbors who we previously didn't know over for dinner along with our best friends and next door neighbors. All told we invited around 50 people expecting that most would have plans or simply wouldn't feel comfortable coming over. We didn't get any solid commitments so we thought it might just be our two families. We wound up with 32, way more than we thought, including an East Indian family, a Chinese family, and 2 other non-member families who we had only casually known before yesterday.

What a riot!

Each brought a dish so food was not in short supply. I made lamb and beef steaks and my wife a couple of vegetarian dishes. Our dinner table seats 12 and combined with the neighbor's dinner and picnic tables, couches, stools, and even some floor, we made it work. The Indian family brought a wonderful mixed vegetable dish and the Chinese family brought home-made traditional pastries of taro root and red beans (very different but good). Others brought sweet potatoes and rice.

Language was an issue but half a dozen of us simply pulled out our smartphones/ipads and google-translated what we needed. We had each other in stitches trying to pronounce everything. Turns out the Chinese family was LDS and moved here 4 years ago from mainland China and while the oldest had served a mission, upon his return they had all gone inactive. It also turns out my brother lives and works in the same city in China where they lived before coming here! We hopped onto his blog and they told us what they could about some of the sites from the pictures he had shared. The other families were nice and it while it was obvious they had their guard up regarding what I'm sure they thought was our apparent proselytizing efforts, by the end of the evening we were all laughing and sharing stories.

When they first started arriving I thought we had bitten off more than we could chew but by the end of the night we realized we had just had ourselves the most memorable Easter dinner in our 15 years of marriage.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Nice!
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

So what's on the menu in your houses for this Sunday? I want to smoke something. I've got tri-tip and pork butt in the freezer already. Or I might pick up a ham tomorrow. No idea yet on the side dishes, in part because I haven't even selected the meat yet.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

ham, au gratin potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise, deviled eggs, almond torte
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

We are traditionalists, and therefore going with tacos.

Comment

This is the first time we are at home for Easter. I think I'm going to make a beef stew. I'll also be making Brussel sprouts.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                ham, au gratin potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise, deviled eggs, almond torte
                                I've mostly decided to take the easy route - tri-tip with smoked baked potatoes. Asparagus does sound good, though. I'll have to pick some up today. The Mrs. is making lemon bars for dessert.

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                We are traditionalists, and therefore going with tacos.
                                I'll do the traditional tacos on Monday with the leftover tri-tip.

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                This is the first time we are at home for Easter. I think I'm going to make a beef stew. I'll also be making Brussel sprouts.
                                You should go out for dinner.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X