Erin go Bragh: The Official Irish Culture/Heritage Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erin go Bragh: The Official Irish Culture/Heritage Thread

With all that Scandinavian and Welsh blood flowing in the veins of Utah, I'm not sure how many of you have Irish roots. But, I felt like creating a little thread in which we could share how we honor/celebrate/anger our ancestors by our ignorance of all things Irish.

Today we made Irish champ and corned beef and cabbage (simmering as I type this). Walmart had point cut corned beef brisket for $1.97 a pound, so I got three of them and froze two. The champ was delicious. The stew should be ready in about 20 minutes.

I told the kids about their Kilpatrick, McKissick, and McKendrick ancestors, explaining how the McKendricks were Scottish people who came to Ireland across the Straits of Moyle.

Basically, we were one four-leaf clover away from looking like an old House of Pain video.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

The meal:

Served with some Inglehoffer mustard.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Not sure if there's any Irish on my side but I'm sure if I go back far enough there is bound to be some.

The corned beef looks excellent. If there are leftovers be sure to make some hash.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Not sure if there's any Irish on my side but I'm sure if I go back far enough there is bound to be some.

The corned beef looks excellent. If there are leftovers be sure to make some hash.
        I actually bought my first beer today as an adult. I had to go to a liquor store to buy a Guinness Stout. It cost $2.97 and smelled like something that I wouldn't want to drink. But, it made the meal taste fantastic. I will definitely use it again when I make this dish.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I actually bought my first beer today as an adult. I had to go to a liquor store to buy a Guinness Stout. It cost $2.97 and smelled like something that I wouldn't want to drink. But, it made the meal taste fantastic. I will definitely use it again when I make this dish.
          I only cook pot roast with beer - my kids love it. The gravy made from the left over pan juices is amazing.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
            I only cook pot roast with beer - my kids love it. The gravy made from the left over pan juices is amazing.
            When I make chili, I always put a couple of Buds in the base.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

The Irish gave us the mafia and urban guerilla warfare. Hell yeah, they kick ass. And the Welsh are our celtic brothers and sisters.

Comment

My St Paddy's day dinners get larger every year. This year my menu includes:

Irish stew, made with lamb. I thought about using guinness but ended up using white cooking wine instead. I cooked it for 4+ hours yesterday, so today it will be thick and hearty. (I've been meaning to post to Funk's Cooking Booze thread for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it, but if you intend to cook something for 2.5+ hours, all the alcohol will burn out prior to cooking.)

2 corned beef briskets, point cut, boiled to soften, then oven baked with a brown sugar glaze. I use point cut because it's cheaper, but also because it is more fatty. By the time I am done boiling the brisket, a lot of the fat has melted off, but I still need a last layer of fat to protect the corned beef while baking, to prevent it from drying out.

2 corned beef briskets, traditional boiling method. This is pretty basic-- boil at an extremely feeble boil for a loooong time. This makes it very fork tender. I use the James Beard method for the rest- onions, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage- by cooking separately in salted water. I've been burned every time I cook the vegetables together with the meat because they come out soggy.

I'm normally tired of cooking after that, so dessert is mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches. Nice and green and everyone likes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  My St Paddy's day dinners get larger every year. This year my menu includes:

Irish stew, made with lamb. I thought about using guinness but ended up using white cooking wine instead. I cooked it for 4+ hours yesterday, so today it will be thick and hearty. (I've been meaning to post to Funk's Cooking Booze thread for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it, but if you intend to cook something for 2.5+ hours, all the alcohol will burn out prior to cooking.)

2 corned beef briskets, point cut, boiled to soften, then oven baked with a brown sugar glaze. I use point cut because it's cheaper, but also because it is more fatty. By the time I am done boiling the brisket, a lot of the fat has melted off, but I still need a last layer of fat to protect the corned beef while baking, to prevent it from drying out.

2 corned beef briskets, traditional boiling method. This is pretty basic-- boil at an extremely feeble boil for a loooong time. This makes it very fork tender. I use the James Beard method for the rest- onions, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage- by cooking separately in salted water. I've been burned every time I cook the vegetables together with the meat because they come out soggy.

I'm normally tired of cooking after that, so dessert is mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches. Nice and green and everyone likes them.
                  Why do we talk about the "luck of the Irish"? 400 years of sectarian civil war, famine, terrorism, a reputation for belligerent alcoholism, and now a horrendous economic meltdown.

I feel bad for the Irish.

On the other hand, I do like the occasional Bangers & Mash with an even more occasional Guinness.

I had a good friend in graduate school who had family from Northern Ireland. She hated that all Americans recognized St. Patrick's Day - she always wore orange (protestant color) on March 17.

And this article, about the arm of prizefighter Dan Donnely, that was in the Swimsuit Issue of my freshman year of college [yes, I know, I'm a nerd who also read all the articles]:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...67/1/index.htm

Great stuff.
                  "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                  -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post

I had a good friend in graduate school who had family from Northern Ireland. She hated that all Americans recognized St. Patrick's Day - she always wore orange (protestant color) on March 17.
                    My Irish ancestors were no bloody loyalist royalist West-Brits; we left Hibernia and the land of saints and scholars for the land that had the courage to kick out the absent masters.

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      Why do we talk about the "luck of the Irish"? 400 years of sectarian civil war, famine, terrorism, a reputation for belligerent alcoholism, and now a horrendous economic meltdown.

I feel bad for the Irish.

On the other hand, I do like the occasional Bangers & Mash with an even more occasional Guinness.

And this article, about the arm of prizefighter Dan Donnely, that was in the Swimsuit Issue of my freshman year of college [yes, I know, I'm a nerd who also read all the articles]:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...67/1/index.htm

Great stuff.
                      Most of the Irish I've talked to don't begrudge Americans celebrating Saint Patricks day. People from Belfast are very reluctant to talk politics.
                      You can't mention Irish sectarianism without mentioning the USA. Irish Americans funded and armed the IRA, the US government was complicit with an apartied British system. We also played a pivotal role in negotiating the peace.
                      Solon your friend was likely free to wear the orange at a time while flying the Tri-Color was illegal.

Comment

That food looks damn good wuap. As for my heritage, are we going with the one drop rule? I do have a 4G Grandmother born on the emerald isle...I think that makes me 1/64th Irish!
                        "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
                          That food looks damn good wuap. As for my heritage, are we going with the one drop rule? I do have a 4G Grandmother born on the emerald isle...I think that makes me 1/64th Irish!
                          We Irish claim all who want to be claimed.

Comment

My G'ma was a Fitzgerald. But I think the ancestors were Scotch-Irish. Which, as i was told by Mr. Murphy at the corner market, is not proper Irish.

Comment

No offense to the Irish or any gaelphiles on the board, but I don't care much for St. Patrick's day.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X