Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New BYU rankings out

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Well, I didn't know it my entire life because when I applied there was no internet and BYU-I was Ricks College. And there was a big argument on whether my son would check the BYU-Idaho box on his application. I also wish I had a good answer when asked, "Why do I have to interview with a member of the stake presidency to apply to a college I'm not sure I want to attend? I suppose I'll have to put on church clothes for that - yuk!"
    Easy peasy: "Sometimes we have to to things we don't want to do. Doing them without whining is part of being a mature grown up."
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Im a BYU fan, but that doesn't make sense. Doesn't Utah pull in a lot more research dollars than BYU?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Im a BYU fan, but that doesn't make sense. Doesn't Utah pull in a lot more research dollars than BYU?
    Sure, but the 25th percentile kid at BYU is considered the class genius at Utah. The 25th percentile kid at BYU is the 75th percentile kid at Utah. Dumb students aren't going to produce as well as smart students no matter how much money is put into the school.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Sure, but the 25th percentile kid at BYU is considered the class genius at Utah. The 25th percentile kid at BYU is the 75th percentile kid at Utah. Dumb students aren't going to produce as well as smart students no matter how much money is put into the school.
    What about reading comprehension? Because she asked about research.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I know dipshit, my point is research rankings aren't merely a surrogate for the number of dollars given to the university. Maybe Cal State Fullerton gets the same amount of money from the government as BYU, but they're still stuck with an ITT Tech student body.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I know dipshit
    What about writing comprehension?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    What about writing comprehension?
    its overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    its overrated
    Can you rephrase that, using smaller words?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    You know 106th ain't bad for the University of Utah. Anytime you are couple of spots ahead of and esteemed institution like Western Washington you have really done well.
    Last edited by New Mexican Disaster; 07-11-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    You know 106th ain't bad for the University of Utah. Anytime you are couple of spots ahead of and esteemed institution like Western Washington you have really done well.
    WWU is a great college, located in....ummm.... Tacoma? Puyallup? Regardless, we Washingtonians think it is definitely one the top 20 schools in the state

WWU is a great college, located in....ummm.... Tacoma? Puyallup? Regardless, we Washingtonians think it is definitely one the top 20 schools in the state
    WWU is in Bellingham. You are thinking of the University of Puget Sound (where the regional EFY is held each summer).
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I wonder if the LGBT community will send a letter threatening to boycott CNBC?

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I wonder if the LGBT community will send a letter threatening to boycott CNBC?
    Even if they did they'd still whine about the honor code less than you.

Is this accurate? What goes into these amounts? I figure its more than just tuition. Does it include room & board as well as books? Seems pretty high, especially since I think tuition was something ridiculous like $3000 a year when I was there.

Estimated price for 2016-17 without aid: $18,500
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Also, this is incredible:

Princeton

Estimated price for 2016-17 without aid: $61,300

Estimated price for 2016-17 with average aid: $20,100

Average student debt: $6,810

Princeton University's generous financial aid makes it, according to MONEY's analysis, the most affordable member of the Ivy League. The school gives out such large grants to the six in 10 families who qualify (families earning less than $250,000 generally get some aid) that more than 83% of students graduate without any debt.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Is this accurate? What goes into these amounts? I figure its more than just tuition. Does it include room & board as well as books? Seems pretty high, especially since I think tuition was something ridiculous like $3000 a year when I was there.
    Probably based on on-campus housing with a meal plan. Books, fees, etc. As a parent of a student at BYU, the $18.5K figure is close. His brothers are at Texas A&M (in state tuition) and BYU is cheaper. BYU continues to be an excellent value.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Bro, WWU is in B-Ham! There used to be a great Pita Pit that serviced the students right downtown. I'm not sure if it is still there or not.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Bro, WWU is in B-Ham! There used to be a great Pita Pit that serviced the students right downtown. I'm not sure if it is still there or not.
    Where is Rocky Balboa when you need some info on successful and failed business owners?!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    The Red Robin there is my usual stop before crossing the border on my way to Whistler. I'm always way too full to eat at RR since lunch is always at the claim jumper or somewhere downtown seattle. Last time I just went to Taco Time to keep it light and ended up eating too much anyway.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Where is Rocky Balboa when you need some info on successful and failed business owners?!
    He must've posted about this 54224674326 times.

I miss Rocky.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

BYU needs add space to that shelf.

Top 10 US college campuses to view fall foliage

BYU needs add space to that shelf.

Top 10 US college campuses to view fall foliage
    I miss Fall in Provo. Or Utah in general. Not the same here in the Bay Area.

Wall Street Journal ranks BYU #2 for "Students Highly Engaged in Learning".

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-top-...ges-1475030404

Opening line:

Want a school that will engage your mind? Put Brigham Young University on your short list.
    I am sure SU would agree on this.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Opening line:

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Opening line:

Here is a prediction of his response.

su.jpg
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Here is a prediction of his response.
    Haha.

If we could photoshop Scut Farkus blowing on a vuvuzela then I think we will have the perfect SU meme.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster