New BYU rankings out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Las Cruces is a pretty cool city.
    And what are you going to pick in NM? ABQ?????????
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      Euphemism?

[/falafel]
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This mess of an article ends so hilariously beautiful.

There are roughly 180,000 BYU alumni and 140,000 U alumni on LinkedIn. Of these, 95,000 BYU alumni and 88,000 U alumni live in the Salt Lake City or Provo area. If we take the proportion of the number of BYU and U alumni that work at various top technology companies, we get a striking result. The results imply that many of Utah’s largest companies have a disproportionate amount of BYU alumni in their workforce. For example, Vivint Smart Home Company has 164 U employees and 514 BYU employees, meaning over 70% of the employees at Vivint with LinkedIn profiles are BYU alumni. Indeed, many of Utah’s top technology companies have more BYU employees according to LinkedIn — Adobe at 70%, Qualtrics at 81%, Domo Inc. at 74%, Lucid at 68%, Podium at 69%, Ancestry at 75%, Adobe at 70% and Entrata at 80%. These percentages even account for the greater number of BYU LinkedIn profiles by weighting the proportions accordingly.

Many factors could account for this disparity in employment at these companies. First, LinkedIn is not an explicit way to get employment statistics. I would argue that LinkedIn is widely adopted and that keeping one’s LinkedIn profile up to date is necessary. However, therefore the data is a good random sample of employees at a particular company. Second, the locality of a lot of these businesses are in the Provo, Draper and Lehi area — 58% of U alumni live in Salt Lake City while 85% of BYU alumni live in Provo. I would argue that Provo and Lehi are not a burdensome commute when weighed against the opportunity to have a career at a top technology company. Third, perhaps the level of education at BYU is so high that employers to prefer to hire their graduates because they statistically outperform U graduates. I would argue that a U alum who doesn’t serve an LDS mission will have two years more of professional work experience over a BYU alum who instead served a mission. If both students were of equal age, then the U graduate would be the more desirable candidate.

A more insidious conclusion could be drawn for the disparity of employment at preeminent top technology companies. Six of the eight founders of the previously mentioned companies were founded by BYU alumni. This predominantly BYU-dominated management could develop into a BYU-dominated work environment. More importantly, the prejudicial assumptions about a U alum could affect a BYU-dominate company’s hiring practices. Would you vouch for a prospective employee from the U over a prospective employee from BYU if your entire network is dominated by BYU alumni? Do companies see the U as a negative mark over a BYU graduate at these universities due to the cultural bias related to the U in Latter-day Saint culture? If I had to guess, every time an employer asks if you went on a mission or “why you choose the U over BYU,” these questions aren’t harmless. They are indicative of a culture in which academic nepotism and bias will influence our career outcomes as U graduates.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          It was obvious this was a Utah graduate from the beginning. The references to the 'U' made me chuckle.

Comment

That is a delicious article.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

LOL. Of course there is nepotism in hiring by BYU founded and very successful tech companies. When we had a tech company in the UV we hired mainly from the BYU grad pool as well (I would guess about 90%). Who wants to hire those heathens from the North? BYU grads... They're the best!

As for Utah grads... I'm a little bit concerned about their salvation and stuff.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

academic nepotism
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

However, therefore what if he’s explicitly right?

Comment

...perhaps the level of education at BYU is so high that employers to prefer to hire their graduates because they statistically outperform U graduates. I would argue that a U alum who doesn’t serve an LDS mission will have two years more of professional work experience over a BYU alum who instead served a mission. If both students were of equal age, then the U graduate would be the more desirable candidate.
                    I would take the 2 year mission (or similar service) as a better (but different) "work" experience than anything accomplished in the first two years of a tech job. There are parts of mission life that can directly affect soft skill development.

Six of the eight founders of the previously mentioned companies were founded by BYU alumni.
                    That seems to be a data point that supports the hypothesis that BYU graduates statistically outperform U graduates? How many of those 6 served missions and/or learned leadership skills from that and other church service?

Weird article.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      academic nepotism
                      That is the best.

Comment

• Way to go Idaho! BYU-I is the best school in the state for salary:

Comment

• I’m surprised. I thought that welders and long haul truck drivers made more than that.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• We all know that BYU kicks butt but I have to comment on how horrible this infographic is.

The color scheme makes it nearly impossible to determine which schools are cheap and which are expensive. The school seals/emblems are so small you can hardly read them. The salary number can easily be mistaken for a cost number. When you need a complex legend to decipher the infographic, you know it sucks. The howmuch.net folks really whiffed on this infographic.

EDIT: They probably should have used school mascot logos or some other type of easier-to-identify logo rather than seals, but lame schools like THE (tm) Ohio State (tm) University (tm) and Texas (tm) would probably sue them so I guess I can't blame them for just going with the school seals.
                            Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              85% of BYU alumni live in Provo?

Comment

• J.Rube ranking now in the 20s! US News just had to wait 15 years for the Lost Student stink to wear off the school before they could bump it up.

The U shouldn't feel too bad, they're right in that meaty part of the curve

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/law-rankings
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X