Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    http://www.thestreet.com/story/12946...n-america.html

BYU makes top ten on this list and BYU-I is #1.
    Utah St. also made the list at #10. I found the acceptance rates interesting. BYU is now well below 50%. BYU-I accepts everyone.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      Utah St. also made the list at #10. I found the acceptance rates interesting. BYU is now well below 50%. BYU-I accepts everyone.
      I was a little surprised Bob Jones U. didn't top the list.

Comment

I will be dead and buried by the time this prediction comes true, but if BYU Provo keeps up with the stricter and stricter entrance policies, they are going to have an us vs them elitism develop in the church.

It hasn't happened yet because more than enough people have graduated from BYU and don't hold themselves out to be "special" compared to other members. When the acceptance rate gets down to 30%, I will bet on some kind of stratification.

While an awesome school academically, it isn't Stanford, Harvard or the other elite schools. The reason for the low acceptance rate is religion. I would be for minimum standards that are quite high, but would allow for maybe 60% of applicants to qualify. From there it is a lottery system. Does any college in the country do something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          I will be dead and buried by the time this prediction comes true, but if BYU Provo keeps up with the stricter and stricter entrance policies, they are going to have an us vs them elitism develop in the church.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

It hasn't happened yet because more than enough people have graduated from BYU and don't hold themselves out to be "special" compared to other members. When the acceptance rate gets down to 30%, I will bet on some kind of stratification.

While an awesome school academically, it isn't Stanford, Harvard or the other elite schools. The reason for the low acceptance rate is religion. I would be for minimum standards that are quite high, but would allow for maybe 60% of applicants to qualify. From there it is a lottery system. Does any college in the country do something like that?
            I agree with the stratification and it will be interesting to see how that affects Mormon culture. I think the high acceptance rates at BYU-I somewhat offset the continued dropping of acceptance rates at BYU. A family can still send their HS graduate to a church sponsored school although for many it will not be BYU. I think the key is to continue to raise the academic profile of BYU-I. Just wish BYU-I was not more conservative than BYU; IMO, BYU is already too conservative.

I first saw the lowering of acceptance rates at BYU while working as a graduate assisstant in the academic advisement and admissions dept in the mid 1980s. Then a BYU administrator made the comment that BYU was well on its way to becoming a Notre Dame with respect to admission rates and stated that for my children BYU's admission rate would probably be < 50% and perhaps even close to Notre Dames admission rate of 20%-30%. He wasn't far off on his prediction.

I doubt BYU resorts to a lottery system. I wouldn't be surprised if tuition rates were raised significantly at BYU (and not as much at BYU-I). That might help with the number of students applying. I still cannot belive that annual costs at BYU are less than Texas A&M (have kids at both universities). But then BYU would become the college for "rich Mormons" and the won't help with the stratification. What might occur is that more and more students get accepted to affordable, highly rated in-state universities like U. Virginia, U. North Carolina, U. Texas, etc. and get turned down by BYU. I wish more families/H.S. graduates would consider quality in-state options so that there is a larger population of LDS students to study with. But many parents living outside of Utah are BYU alums and want to send their children to BYU or HS graduates are relunctant to attend State U. because there will be few Mormons to study with even though State U. may be equal or better than BYU with respect to academics.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

I just noticed the BYU-Provo listing. It has a 1 billion dollar endowment?
              I hadn't realized this was common knowledge. Not too shabby.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

I'm pretty sure BYU-I's acceptance rate isn't 100%

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                  Yeah, it was only about 99.6%.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    I don't remember ever hearing of anyone not getting in (the ecclesiastic endorsement comes before applying, doesn't it?).

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      I don't remember ever hearing of anyone not getting in (the ecclesiastic endorsement comes before applying, doesn't it?).
                      Yes. It's part of the joint application to both schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I just noticed the BYU-Provo listing. It has a 1 billion dollar endowment?
                        I hadn't realized this was common knowledge. Not too shabby.
                        I suggest holding off being impressed until SeattleUte can opine.

Comment

Yes. It's part of the joint application to both schools.
                          Stop it. There is a joint application to BYU-Provo and BYU-Idaho?!?!?!? Can you also simultaneously apply to BYU-Hawaii, LDS Business College, and EFY? How have I not known this my entire life? This fact alone is worth my subscription fee to this website.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            Stop it. There is a joint application to BYU-Provo and BYU-Idaho?!?!?!? Can you also simultaneously apply to BYU-Hawaii, LDS Business College, and EFY? How have I not known this my entire life? This fact alone is worth my subscription fee to this website.
                            Well, I didn't know it my entire life because when I applied there was no internet and BYU-I was Ricks College. And there was a big argument on whether my son would check the BYU-Idaho box on his application. I also wish I had a good answer when asked, "Why do I have to interview with a member of the stake presidency to apply to a college I'm not sure I want to attend? I suppose I'll have to put on church clothes for that - yuk!"

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Yeah, it was only about 99.6%.
                              When a kid screws up one of their favorite lines to use is "If you don't want to follow the rules we have plenty of kids that will that couldn't get in", just a flat out lie that they continue to use.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                When a kid screws up one of their favorite lines to use is "If you don't want to follow the rules we have plenty of kids that will that couldn't get in", just a flat out lie that they continue to use.
                                lol
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X