Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 1890

Thread: Obamacare cost...

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    He said his plan would save families $2,500/year. What are you doing with extra $2,500?
    I'm using my $2,500 in savings to help pay for my premium increases. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave any to help pay for the increased medical costs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'm using my $2,500 in savings to help pay for my premium increases. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave any to help pay for the increased medical costs too.
    What about "elections have consequences" did you not understand?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Default Why people hate ObamaCare

I'm trying to understand what it is about ObamaCare that so many people seem to think is so terrible.

I've actually been using the Affordable Care Act (it's other name) for more than a year and it made a huge difference for me being able to afford medical coverage. I've switched to something else just recently that works better for my particular case and will get me through until I qualify for MediCare.

So I'm wondering if any of you political scholars, on either side of the health care debate, could explain to me what the big drawbacks are. Because from where I'm standing, it seems like a great thing.

Don't we already have an Obamacare thread? Where's donuthole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Don't we already have an Obamacare thread? Where's donuthole
    No we don't have an Obamacare thread. We have 20 of them. For reals.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/search....archid=2710184
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    No we don't have an Obamacare thread. We have 20 of them. For reals.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/search....archid=2710184
    I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." when clicking on your link above, and my own search didn't turn up anything either, which is the only reason I started this one.

Could one of you at least point me at the one thread that best answers my original query and I'll go study that?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." when clicking on your link above, and my own search didn't turn up anything either, which is the only reason I started this one.

Could one of you at least point me at the one thread that best answers my original query and I'll go study that?

Thanks.
    Obamacare.jpg

Here, this should get you started

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...ight=Obamacare

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Now JL, please merge this with one of the linked threads.

Thank you. I appreciate it.
    Feel free to resurrect one of those threads though. Just because people have hashed it out here, it does not mean we don't want to hear your thoughts and perspective.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Feel free to resurrect one of those threads though. Just because people have hashed it out here, it does not mean we don't want to hear your thoughts and perspective.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    It's going to take me a couple of days to dig through those. I'll post something on one or more of them when I get to that point. Is there a way to get this one locked now?

It's going to take me a couple of days to dig through those. I'll post something on one or more of them when I get to that point. Is there a way to get this one locked now?
    No need. Although we are thread Nazis, we don't lock threads.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Merged!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I'm trying to understand what it is about ObamaCare that so many people seem to think is so terrible.

I've actually been using the Affordable Care Act (it's other name) for more than a year and it made a huge difference for me being able to afford medical coverage. I've switched to something else just recently that works better for my particular case and will get me through until I qualify for MediCare.

So I'm wondering if any of you political scholars, on either side of the health care debate, could explain to me what the big drawbacks are. Because from where I'm standing, it seems like a great thing.
    I'll take a stab at this. I know people that hate it because it forced them to lose the health insurance plan they were on and they had to get a plan with less coverage and higher premiums. They also lost their doctor, who wasn't covered under the new plan. Changing doctors can suck, especially when you have a chronic issue.

I also know companies that hate it because of the increased taxes. Companies don't like to pay increased taxes and this forced a number of taxes on companies that have their own health plans. I think I documented how this impacted by then current employer when Obamacare cam out all those years ago. Many unionized forces took large one time hits due to the elimination of certain tax benefits under the old Medicare Part D act.

I don't like Obamacare because it doesn't work very well. The exchange idea was poorly setup in the legislation adn the penalties for not being insured have very little teeth. The reduction in HSA contribution limit is also annoying. Obamacare didn't fix the issues that existed in healthcare. When people complain that all those people are going to lose health insurance if Obamacare is repealed, they are talking about the Medicaid expansion people, which technically occured under Obamacare, but the central figure in Obamacare (health care exchanges) has failed miserably.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I'll take a stab at this.
    Thanks for the summary. I'm working through this long thread right now and taking notes. Only about 1600 more posts to go.

I intend to post a summary of what I got out of studying this, including a few interesting sidetrack discussions that don't have anything directly to do with Obamacare. I'm anticipating getting to the part where there are actual facts, rather than the guesses about what would happen as it was about 2013 where I'm reading now.

Need another $15b to prop up the ObamaCare dead corpse...

Insurers are trying to get an ObamaCare bailout

Guess who’s on the hook in one of the largest lawsuits ever? You.

More than 100 health-insurance companies are suing you and the rest of America’s taxpayers. Insurers want you to bail them out for money they lost trying to sell ObamaCare plans — a whopping $15 billion. A ruling from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit is expected any day.

It’s a brazen money grab. In 2010, powerful insurance-industry officials worked hand in glove with Democrats to enact the Affordable Care Act, a scheme compelling everyone to buy health insurance. It doesn’t get any sweeter than that: a law making your product mandatory.

But insurers are seeking even more. They claim their cozy deal also insulated them from losing money during the first three years they tried to sell ObamaCare plans. Maybe that’s what Obama administration officials whispered to health insurers. But the actual wording of the ACA didn’t commit a single dollar of taxpayer money to offset losses. And twice since then Congress has passed additional laws clarifying that taxpayers will not be compensating insurers who lose money on ObamaCare.
    [...]
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/20/insure...acare-bailout/
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yet another nail into the Obamacare coffin...

AG Paxton Wins Multistate Obamacare Tax Lawsuit, Recoups Over $839 Million, Including Nearly $305 Million for Texas Taxpayers

Attorney General Ken Paxton today commended a U.S. District Court decision ordering the Internal Revenue Service to repay Texas and five other states more than $839 million because of an unlawful Obamacare tax on state Medicaid programs. Of that total amount, Texas stands to be repaid $304,730,608.

“Obamacare is unconstitutional, plain and simple,” Attorney General Paxton said. “We all know that the feds cannot tax the states, and we’re proud to return this illegally collected money to the people of Texas.”

In October 2015, Attorney General Paxton led a multistate lawsuit against the federal government over the Obama-era regulation that threatened to choke off Medicaid funds for the health needs of millions of Texas citizens unless Texas taxpayers paid a portion of the Health Insurance Providers Fee to help fund Obamacare.
    [...]
    https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...839-million-in
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The US healthcare “system” is so stupid. Patients deal with this stuff all the time. Single payer wouldn’t be perfect but at least we would all know the rules and I think providers and patients could make it work.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...h-108-951-bill

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/26/doct...ollection.html

I'm seriously considering switching from my atrociously useless work plan to a christian health share come October.

Tell me why I shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    I'm seriously considering switching from my atrociously useless work plan to a christian health share come October.

Tell me why I shouldn't.
    Do you expect to have any medical expenses from "non-Christian activities?" Also, how do you feel about biblical based mediation and arbitration?
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Do you expect to have any medical expenses from "non-Christian activities?" Also, how do you feel about biblical based mediation and arbitration?
    I don't participate in any non-Christian activities! As long as it pays my bills, I don't care how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Tell me why I shouldn't.
    They might not accept you. Some don't accept Mormons.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    They might not accept you. Some don't accept Mormons.
    What is this Mormon thing of which you speak? No mormons here.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Open enrollment time. Healthcare premiums for my family of 6 (well, for my 5 dependents—my employer pays my premium) on my middle-of-the-road PPO raised from $13k/year to $17.5k/year.

Open enrollment time. Healthcare premiums for my family of 6 (well, for my 5 dependents—my employer pays my premium) on my middle-of-the-road PPO raised from $13k/year to $17.5k/year.
    Great. I can hardly wait to see our premium increase.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Does your firm not pay the premium for your family?

Does your firm not pay the premium for your family?
    sounds like they don't. but my reading comprehension isn't always first-rate.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Thanks, Trump!