My brother's Facebook post on popular Utah names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    Jaxon is terrible. It's spelled Jackson. Spell it right. It's not cute if you don't, it's just stupid. Apologies to anyone who named their kid Jaxon. Sort of.

I don't have a big problem with any of the others. Of course, we were complete bandwagoners when we named our daughter Emily.
    Weird spellings for common names are a pet peeve of mine. I met a J'son for example.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Weird spellings for common names are a pet peeve of mine. I met a J'son for example.
      Amen and amen and amen. What the hell is wrong with parents that they saddle their kid with a retardedly spelled name forever? It's Michael, not Miqaile. It's Robert, not Rahbeuirt.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        I'm very anti last name first names. Hunter, Tucker, Wilson etc. etc. Apologies to those who have kids with last name first names, just not my cup of tea.
        Both of my sons have first names that could also be last names. In fact, I think that is the way it is with most male names. Very common first names like Michael, Matthew, William, Steven, Jacob and Robert are last names when you add an S. Common names like Nicholas, Ryan, Lee and Todd are last names as well.
        What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
        -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.c...e-finally.html
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Mine too. I take it a step further in that I also don't like names with more than one accepted spelling (such as Catherine, Katherine, Kathryn and all its derivatives. Kristin, Kristen, Christen, etc.)
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Gidget and I always joke that the in thing to do is take a noun and add -on, -en, -don, or -den. Northden for example.
              I've noticed this for about the last decade. Not a big fan of the trend, but every parent has different taste in names.

My daughter's name is Cassidy, and when I told my grandfather what we named her, he snorted, "You've got to be kidding me? Cassidy? As in Butch?"
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                Mine too. I take it a step further in that I also don't like names with more than one accepted spelling (such as Catherine, Katherine, Kathryn and all its derivatives. Kristin, Kristen, Christen, etc.)
                My wife's name is Chelsea. I knew how to spell her name from the second I met her. There is no other way to spell it. We've had a president's daughter with the same name. It's not obscure. However, I have yet to ever have someone correctly spell her name on the first guess.

Similarly, there is only one acceptable way to spell Catherine. And Kristen. I wonder if we're on the road to a sea of Jaxons, Jaquesons, Jacksuns, and Giacsuns.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                  I'm very anti last name first names. Hunter, Tucker, Wilson etc. etc. Apologies to those who have kids with last name first names, just not my cup of tea.
                  None taken. Davis is my youngest son's name (named after Davis Phinney) and it's worked for him but I'm not sure I would do it again.

Comment

My wife's name is Chelsea. I knew how to spell her name from the second I met her. There is no other way to spell it. We've had a president's daughter with the same name. It's not obscure. However, I have yet to ever have someone correctly spell her name on the first guess.

Similarly, there is only one acceptable way to spell Catherine. And Kristen. I wonder if we're on the road to a sea of Jaxons, Jaquesons, Jacksuns, and Giacsuns.
                    My neighbor has a daughter named Chelsie.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Ugh...Just seeing that spelling makes me cringe. It says "my parents were too uneducated to know the correct spelling and too lazy to look it up.
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Pronounced Chelt-see
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Ugh...Just seeing that spelling makes me cringe. It says "my parents were too uneducated to know the correct spelling and too lazy to look it up.
                          lol. That actually happened to my aunt. Her mother sent her dad down to the hospital's office to fill out the birth certificate not thinking she was up to getting out of bed herself, and he didn't know how to spell the name selected. Fortunately for her, she was born in another country and the name is uncommon here in the US so few people know that until she tells the story.

As she tells it, her mother didn't trust her dad with any of her sibling's birth certificates.

Comment

We had 3 families in our ward name their son Beckham over the past few months. One of the dads is a huge soccer fan and was actually sporting a David Beckham jersey when he told me what they were naming their son. I laughed and asked if he was serious. He didn't appreciate that and went on to tell me how it had nothing to do with is love for soccer and that he and his wife really loved the name.

Yeah right.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Jaxon is terrible. It's spelled Jackson. Spell it right. It's not cute if you don't, it's just stupid. Apologies to anyone who named their kid Jaxon. Sort of.

I don't have a big problem with any of the others. Of course, we were complete bandwagoners when we named our daughter Emily.

Apology not accepted. I like it, he likes it, and we don't really care if anyone else does so there's really no reason to apologize anyway. I stole it from my much younger (18 years) brother. My father stole it from a developer that he did business with 40 years ago (neither of them anywhere near Utah btw).

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                                Apology not accepted. I like it, he likes it, and we don't really care if anyone else does so there's really no reason to apologize anyway. I stole it from my much younger (18 years) brother. My father stole it from a developer that he did business with 40 years ago (neither of them anywhere near Utah btw).
                                Oh dang....
                                I was really hoping not to step on anyone's toes, and therefore probably shouldn't have posted it. It's the Vicodin talking.

FWIW, we named our first son Britton. Fire away.
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X