Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    My local butcher quit selling tri-tip :anger:

I have made several calls to the other slaughterhouses within an hour radius and nothing. Does anyone have a comparable cut of meat that is good smoked and seared?

I guess I am going to get better at briskets.
    Brisket's about it unless you're going to go up in price to prime rib.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Does anyone have a comparable cut of meat that is good smoked and seared?
      What about flank or skirt? I've never tried it, but I know the grain/cutting is similar. It's not nearly as thick, so maybe not.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• The Co came through! $6.99 /lb. Still more than I expected to pay, but I am happy to be smoking some tips for Sunday dinner.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          The Co came through! $6.99 /lb. Still more than I expected to pay, but I am happy to be smoking some tips for Sunday dinner.
          I buy a whole cryopack. 7 of them for about 110$.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            I buy a whole cryopack. 7 of them for about 110$.
            There were two in my pack a little more than 2 lbs each. Came out to $30 and some change.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

The Co came through! $6.99 /lb. Still more than I expected to pay, but I am happy to be smoking some tips for Sunday dinner.

Don't be sad. Our Costco is up to $5.99/lb now. it hurts, but guess what is on the smoker right now? $30 worth of deliciousness.

Comment

• Effin' Sam's Club does not carry the tri-tip. I am going to order a case from the local butcher (the same one that no longer carries them). He will order a case for me from his supplier.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• It was a success. Got the Kooker up to 250° with lump coal and some hickory. It smoked for about 45 minutes before hitting an internal temp of 135°. Then I opened it up and got the coals blazing to finish it off for a few minutes on each side. Total cook time was less than an hour. I rubbed it with some Pork Barrel BBQ rub. I wish I had some Spade L but I am out. It came out awesome though. I put it in a foil tent for about 10 minutes before slicing.

-Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

• That's a great pic, Surfah.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Looks so good!
                      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

It was a success. Got the Kooker up to 250° with lump coal and some hickory. It smoked for about 45 minutes before hitting an internal temp of 135°. Then I opened it up and got the coals blazing to finish it off for a few minutes on each side. Total cook time was less than an hour. I rubbed it with some Pork Barrel BBQ rub. I wish I had some Spade L but I am out. It came out awesome though. I put it in a foil tent for about 10 minutes before slicing.
                        That looks good!
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• You can actually order Spade L from them direct now. But 4 6oz jars shipped costs $25. That sucks.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

You can actually order Spade L from them direct now. But 4 6oz jars shipped costs $25. That sucks.
                            That's a rip. I'll ship you some for cost anytime. Ill wrap it in newspaper and ship it as media mail.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• That looks oh so good. It wasn't a bit over done for your dad's liking?
                              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

That looks oh so good. It wasn't a bit over done for your dad's liking?
                                Between Gidget and Flyn's wife it had to be closer to well. But it was just a shade over medium. In the middle it was a bit more pink. I thought it was pretty close to perfect. Super moist and tender.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X