The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa. That looks great. Bravo.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Whoa. That looks great. Bravo.
      Amen. That looks fantastic.

I think we have tri-tip on the board again for this weekend. We have some friends over that have never had it before.
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Ok, this is my first effort on the Traeger. I'm a little hesitant to post pics. Besides, who really drags a camera around while they're trying to cook? Following general instructions from the first page of this thread, I've got the tips rubbed down with Spade L and just on the smoker. I don't have a probe or thermometer yet, so it's all guesswork. Also, I set the Traeger for 225, but it consistently read around 250. I'm not sure which to believe, the switch or the internal thermometer.

Nobody in my house goes for anything other than well done, so I didn't want to have this come out rare at all. I left it in the smoker for about 90 minutes. The outside looked like I was trying to make jerky. Or new soles for my shoes. But poking the meat, it seemed really uncooked still, and my wife didn't like the look of it, so I ramped up the temp a bit for the last 10 minutes. Then I put it on my gas grill to sear for maybe 5 minutes per side. As someone mentioned, it really puffed up the meat, and I was really relieved. I tented it in foil for 10 or 15 minutes, and this was the result.

I need a better carving knife. I couldn't get any nice thin slices with what I was using. Any recommendations? Do you like the electric knives, or just a really good quality blade? Anyway, Here's a pic of the smaller tip cut up.

Between my wife, daughter, and me, we finished it off and left the larger one for leftovers. They really liked it. A-1 is a staple at our table, but we ate a lot of it just as-is, without any sauce. What surprised me as much as anything was that my wife readily agreed when I commented that it could have been a little rarer. So the maiden voyage went well, and I hope to have many more in the future. Now for the accessories... temp probe, bricks, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
          Ok, this is my first effort on the Traeger.
          Well done! That's a nice smoke ring on the roast.

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
          Besides, who really drags a camera around while they're trying to cook?
          This may be the wrong thread for that question.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Nice job on the 3 tips, guys!

Joe Public, more rub on that baby! Dont be afraid of the rub! Looks great and I agree, the reverse sear is great for the tips. I cheat and simply transfer to the gas grill...saves time and fuel, but the result is basically the same. I wish my cooker got up to 600. That would be awesome.

Mtnbiker, nice maiden voyage. It is tricky cooking for people that want meat well done. Honestly you are better off slowly cooking the meat less and less each time you serve it, gradually weaning them off well done and closer to at least a medium. Your tips have a nice smoke ring and they look moist. As for cutting, now that you are in the club, invest in a nice carving knife....worth their weight in gold. It doesn't even have to be an expensive one. Just make sure you only use it for carving special cuts. Keeps the blade sharp and the ceremony feels and looks cool. Cut your tips against the grain and on the bias and you won't go wrong. And don't be afraid to post pics. I am always taking pics of my food, even at restaurants.

My brother and his family are coming next Sunday for a week. We will be consuming three tips, mark my words!

Great job guys.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Joe Public, more rub on that baby! Dont be afraid of the rub!
              Do you put more than that? I remember tasting mine and thinking that any more would have been too much.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Nice job dudes. I wish my costco carried prime tri tips. I almost pulled the trigger on tri for tomorrow.

Comment

Just a quick follow-up on the tips I cooked yesterday. I got home from work today and my daughter had sliced off a good sized chunk from the leftover tip and ate it for lunch. She didn't cut it up or eat it with anything else; she just chowed it down by itself. Then I diced up the rest and we had tacos tonight with home-made pico de gallo and guacamole. Wow, I think that was the best taco meat I've ever had. It just melted in my mouth. Really good stuff. I'd say it was a great success. My wife agrees.

Comment

Ok, here's my first attempt at try-tip on a smoker. Actually, my first attempt at anything on a smoker.

My tri-tip came from Sam's Club, and it was pretty lean cut. Right off the bat, I'm worried. I know try-tip is pretty lean, but I'm concerned I could mess this up. I used Spade L Beef rub, and gave it a generous coat. I didn't use any oil, and had great rub adherence.

When I started the Yoder, I was already at 105 degrees. It's a hot day and my Yoder faces west. I used hickory, and set up the grill for indirect heating. I set at 250 degrees, and reached it in less than 10 minutes. I had decent smoke going at this temperature. The tri-tip was placed on the indirect side.

Around this time, my kids come home from playing in the river. They're covered in mud, and ready to eat.

Three year old: "Food makes you strong!"

Anyways, it took about 45 minutes to get to 109 degrees. I was shooting for 100 before I pushed it over to the direct side, but I was caught off guard by how quickly I was coming up to temp. By the time I was ready to move it (I had run into the house and get some tongs) I was at 115 degrees.

So now I'm concerned. I feel like I'm overshooting my temps, but the roast looks and feels like a cold steak. I'm hoping that the direct heat will compensate. I turn up the Yoder to 600 degrees and place the roast on the GrillGrates.

I sear for about 5 minutes, fingers crossed and muttering prayers, when this happens:

Salvation! I'm getting great grill marks and the roast is really starting to plump up. I check my temp, as I'm wanting to pull off at 135 degrees for a nice slightly medium rare. I check with my pen thermometer and . I'm at 145. (I hurried so fast to get off the grill and into foil that I didn't take a picture before I started carving.)

After 10 minutes in foil, we're ready to cut. As an aside, I recently bought some nice knives, and It's such a joy cutting with them. I was cutting perpendicular to the grain and it was like going through slightly chilled butter.

Although you can't really see it, I had a small but very distinct smoke ring about 1/8th of an inch wide. The camera kind of bleaches out my meat a bit. It was definitely medium, but it had a slightly pink center covering 2/3 of the width of the roast. It was perfect for my wife and kids. I would prefer just slightly more rare, but I had a pretty moist roast in the end, so I can't complain.

But looks aside: how did it taste? Heavenly! Moist, tender and flavorful meat with a hint of smoke. The rub was great, really melded a sweet and spicy taste with the roast. I may use just a little less rub next time, as the occasional bite through a particularly heavily rubbed portion tilted the scales too far towards the rub.

I did the test:

In the end, we had the perfect summer meal: delicious beef, a wonderful wedge salad, and fresh watermelon. The salad deserves special mention: cool iceberg lettuce wedge with a cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh bacon, fresh crumbled blue cheese and homemade dressing. It was awesome. I suck at photography, because it was much better tasting than it looks here:

One final flavorgasm: I had a few bites of roast left, and I mopped up some blue cheese and tomato with it. It was unreal. I've never had any blue cheese on a steak before, but I have seen the light.

Best of all, I get steak and eggs in the morning.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

that sounds great! the yoder seems to be a great machine.

tri tip really is hard to screw up assuming you are monitoring the temps so it was a great choice for a maiden voyage. Keep messing with temps to get the desired inner color you want. Also, I have noticed that the resting period with tri tip is really critical. If you cut it too quickly, the thing bleeds out in large quantities and you are basically watching tender juiciness flow right out of your dinner.

the salad looks really great. in fact, I might be copying that this Sunday when I do my tri.

Also, speaking of tri, that is an interestingly shaped tri tip. It looks almost like a quad tip.

sigpic

Comment

I need to ask the butcher at the Co here if they have any tips that they don't slice, because I finally found some here last week but it was cut into strips.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Looks great SJS!
                          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Fantastic ride for a maiden voyage!
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I need one of you guys to bring some smoked tri-tip to a game this season so I can try it. I've always grilled mine, and it is so simple and fast I don't see why you'd want to do it any other way. Does smoking it for just an hour really impart that much more flavor?
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                I need one of you guys to bring some smoked tri-tip to a game this season so I can try it. I've always grilled mine, and it is so simple and fast I don't see why you'd want to do it any other way. Does smoking it for just an hour really impart that much more flavor?
                                Yes. My FIL now does tri tip but he makes it on his grill. Tastes like butter, spices, and propane. yuck.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X