The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip Part 2

Tri tip from the local butcher. Is this a fair price? It has gone up a bit around here

Trimmed and ready for marinate

Applying the sear on the Smokey Joe

Sliced and ready for the table

I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Tried the SpadeL beef rub on a steak last night. Excellent! will try it on a tri-tip this weekend.

Comment

So we were going to a last minute barbecue last night, and I decided to do a tri-tip. I went to the local grocery store which is the only place in town that supposedly sells Spade L runs. I searched everywhere, and discovered an over abundance of crappy Kroger brand BBQ products. No Spade L or anything else worthwhile.

Depressed, I went to the meat counter ad their tri-tips looked like dogmeat.

Considering the poor meat, lack of rub, and unfamiliar propane grill, we went with burgers and hot dogs.
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Trying to get by on my Dads gas grill. I used the Spade L rub. It smells and looks delish!

Sorry for the poor pic quality. I used my iphone...
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Glad someone started a thread on the greatest

Cut of meat ever invented!

Comment

Cooked these Thursday.

All deets the same, but who doesn't want to look at pics of my meat.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                I like a Santa Maria rub as well, but my favorite is Spade L Ranch seasoning, which I believe can be found in many grocery stores these days. I was out last night so I used Montreal Steak seasoning. It was decent, but the Spade L Ranch is the way to go for me.
                I just hit Albertson's:

I picked up the beef seasoning. From what you and the others have said, it's worth a try.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I just typed a detailed write-up with pictures, but I guess my log-in timed out or something. I lost it all, so I will just say that the tri tip was excellent.

Comment

Weak.
                    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      I just typed a detailed write-up with pictures, but I guess my log-in timed out or something. I lost it all, so I will just say that the tri tip was excellent.
                      I don't believe you.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                        Weak.
                        You were mentioned in the original version.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I don't believe you.
                          Your and FN's schoolyard questioning of my strength and honesty may bear fruit later tonight. I'm bummed about that post, though; I spent ten minutes on it!

Comment

Your and FN's schoolyard questioning of my strength and honesty may bear fruit later tonight. I'm bummed about that post, though; I spent ten minutes on it!
                            If I am putting together a long post, I sometimes type it in a text editor first. Or more commonly, I will periodically copy what I have typed to the clipboard, just in case.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I believe you! It happens to me sometimes. When it does it ticks me off and I usually just abandon, rather than repeat, the effort.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Take two on the tri tip write-up:

Prep:

I got the Costco two-pack, which weighed in at 3.3 pounds. Here's a picture of the two tri tip roasts right out of the package:

I set the roasts out about an hour before they hit the cooker. I rubbed them with a bit of peanut oil and some Spade L beef seasoning. Here are the rubbed roasts:

They both read 60F degrees internal temperature when I took them out to the cooker.

Cook:

I set the cooker up for an indirect cook at 250F degrees. Here are the roasts hitting the cooker:

I put the roasts on for a little over an hour, flipping them once half-way through. I still haven't picked up any wood chunks, but I made foil packets with my hickory chips that worked really well. Once the roasts reached 120F degrees internal temperature, I pulled them and changed my set-up to direct cooking.

With the direct set-up, I removed the upper grate and heat deflector (I was using a sheet pan) and opened the vents. I let the temperature get up to 600F degrees, and I'll try 700F degrees next time. I swabbed the grates with an oil-soaked paper towel and dropped the roasts. I got my Maillard on for a few minutes each side. Internal temps were 135F degrees when I pulled the roasts. Here's one of the roasts shortly after removing them from the cooker:

They settled at 144F degrees during their rest. I'm from the FN Phat school of doneness, but I would pull them at 125F degrees and let them come up to 130F-135F degrees if my in-laws were visiting. Here is a shot of some slices (ATG/OTB):

I'm converted to the reverse-sear method. This was some of the best beef I've had. The outside had a tasty sear seasoned with the rub and a nice hickory smoke. The inside was moist and beefy. I have some tweaks to make for next time, but everyone was thrilled with these results.

Thanks for the information sharing, everyone. I read the CUF threads before I try each new item in the kamado, and it's been very helpful.
                                Last edited by Joe Public; 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

Working...
                                X