Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Tri-Tip thread

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I thought Albertson's no longer exists in Utah. Didn't it become Fresh Market or Fresh Value or something like that?
    You're right.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

I've seen the Spade L Ranch stuff at Smiths.

Did tri tip tonight, forgot to snap pics. Same method as before....hickory, 225 the entire time, smoked to 135 internal (about an hour). Transfer to grill on highest heat, sear for about 1.5 mins on each side. tent in foil, rest for around 10-15 mins. Absolutely perfect, juicy, tender, delicious.

I picked up rolls from Shirley's bakery, we served with homemade potato salad, and cotc. Great dinner.

Also, HUGE shoutout to kccougar. Spade L Ranch rub was so amazing. Everyone loved it. I did one with the roasted garlic peppercorn and one with Spade L. Next time I will do both with Spade L. Might be my new favorite rub. Absolutely incredible stuff, at least with tri tip. I would implore my fellow smokers to try it out.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Did tri tip tonight, forgot to snap pics. Same method as before....hickory, 225 the entire time, smoked to 135 internal (about an hour). Transfer to grill on highest heat, sear for about 1.5 mins on each side. tent in foil, rest for around 10-15 mins. Absolutely perfect, juicy, tender, delicious.

I picked up rolls from Shirley's bakery, we served with homemade potato salad, and cotc. Great dinner.

Also, HUGE shoutout to kccougar. Spade L Ranch rub was so amazing. Everyone loved it. I did one with the roasted garlic peppercorn and one with Spade L. Next time I will do both with Spade L. Might be my new favorite rub. Absolutely incredible stuff, at least with tri tip. I would implore my fellow smokers to try it out.
    I'm making chili tomorrow for our DO cookoff. I picked up a bottle of Spade based on KC's recommendation. Can't wait to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I'm making chili tomorrow for our DO cookoff. I picked up a bottle of Spade based on KC's recommendation. Can't wait to try it.
    Have you popped the cap yet? stuff smells great, tastes even better.

what is your chili recipe? Might be fun to make some chili with bread bowls.

Nothing special. Mostly a hodge podge of ingredients. I cheat and use Staggs as my base, add what I have around the kitchen and a tri-tip. I will almost always throw an onion, three or four serrano peppers, garlic cloves, a green or red pepper and even a shallot into the food processor and chop coarsely. Sauté in a DO, throw in the cubed up beef, add the chili, spices, a bean and corn salsa, and simmer for a couple hours. The tri-tip and the fresh produce make it really pretty good.

Annoying that the bottle isn't a shaker.

Olive oil plus Spade.

I'll drop one in a couple hours, wish me luck.

OMGosh....

Hickory - 225 for about an hour until 135 - grill on each side

Tried to get the char marks

Im sweating my cut I ended up cutting a couple different ways couldn't really tell a difference as far as tenderness

Amazingly fantastic.

Thanks for your help.

Nice Job Fus! I take it the pork is for tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Nice Job Fus! I take it the pork is for tomorrow?
    Thanks buddy.

Just had a tri tip quesadilla for breakfast.....good heavens, unreal. I literally might eat tritip everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    OMGosh....

Hickory - 225 for about an hour until 135 - grill on each side

Tried to get the char marks

Im sweating my cut I ended up cutting a couple different ways couldn't really tell a difference as far as tenderness

Amazingly fantastic.

Thanks for your help.
    You have inspired me. I am doing tri-tip for dinner tonight.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Fus, I noticed you rocked the Spade L on your 3 pointed slabs. What was the verdict? Did you dig the flavor? We absolutely loved it. That stuff has some serious mojo.

Also, that middle picture of the cut with the juice....that thing should be a centerfold.

Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    Sniders has Spade for beef, poultry, and pork. Get steppin'. You also need some frogmats.

Allens has it if you have one close. I picked it up at the springville allens. Their website says the smiths in Provo has it as well or Maceys. It is back at the butcher in Allens.

That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.

Seriously, check right by the butcher.

Fus, I noticed you rocked the Spade L on your 3 pointed slabs. What was the verdict? Did you dig the flavor? We absolutely loved it. That stuff has some serious mojo.

Also, that middle picture of the cut with the juice....that thing should be a centerfold.
    Spade was awesome. I'm sure everyone in Utah has had the Santa Maria tip from Sniders, not even on the same level.

It was seriously amazing - I started giggling when I popped the lid and the tri had swollen.

The Spade website said it was at Albertsons in my hood but I found it at a Smiths, in fact I saw it in two different Smiths yesterday.

Stuff is crazy good.

LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.

How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
    It is 2L2Q. Order some and be prepared to enjoy. I can only speak to the beef rub but coach says the chicken rub was worthy.

I just served it on Friday night and all the adults commented on the incredible flavor. The kids gobbled it up.

You are right that it is only a rub, but as far as rubs go, it is dang good.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.
    I seem to do this with everything I put together, I really didn't want it to be wrong on my smoker (kids bunk beds, who cares?) so I checked, then double checked, then made ldc come check to make sure I had the on correctly.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
    Two pack from Costco, 5.99 a lb.

It was 24 for two tips.

Quesadilla, had to have another while this pork cools.

My first attempt at tri-tip:

On the Traeger, set at 225*, hickory/apple blend, w/ Traeger's Prime Rib Rub:

Pulled at 135* and seared on both sides for approx. 1-1.5 minutes

Sliced against the grain and on the bias (what up, DDD!)

A few notes:

The Prime Rib Rub is okay. I liked it but it was a bit overpowering. I am ordering the Spade L this week and I will have to do it again to see the difference.

Next time I will pull at 130* and then sear. It was perfect in the middle for me and mine but my dad likes it more rare. I think it would be perfect for the family if I pulled it earlier. I also tented for about 10-15 minutes after the sear...maybe I kept it a bit too long.

I effin' love tri-tip. It was delish and got props from my dad and uncle (big time meat lovers). The only place that we have found it out here is a local butcher. He was selling it at $3.49/lb because he is having a hard time selling it. I hope he continues to carry it. I may need to stock up and freeze a few just in case.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Looks amazing.

I picked up some tri today at Costco, it's my favorite cut right now.