Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 363

Thread: The Official Tri-Tip thread

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I thought Albertson's no longer exists in Utah. Didn't it become Fresh Market or Fresh Value or something like that?
    You're right.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  2. #32

    Default

    I've seen the Spade L Ranch stuff at Smiths.

  3. #33
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Did tri tip tonight, forgot to snap pics. Same method as before....hickory, 225 the entire time, smoked to 135 internal (about an hour). Transfer to grill on highest heat, sear for about 1.5 mins on each side. tent in foil, rest for around 10-15 mins. Absolutely perfect, juicy, tender, delicious.

    I picked up rolls from Shirley's bakery, we served with homemade potato salad, and cotc. Great dinner.

    Also, HUGE shoutout to kccougar. Spade L Ranch rub was so amazing. Everyone loved it. I did one with the roasted garlic peppercorn and one with Spade L. Next time I will do both with Spade L. Might be my new favorite rub. Absolutely incredible stuff, at least with tri tip. I would implore my fellow smokers to try it out.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Did tri tip tonight, forgot to snap pics. Same method as before....hickory, 225 the entire time, smoked to 135 internal (about an hour). Transfer to grill on highest heat, sear for about 1.5 mins on each side. tent in foil, rest for around 10-15 mins. Absolutely perfect, juicy, tender, delicious.

    I picked up rolls from Shirley's bakery, we served with homemade potato salad, and cotc. Great dinner.

    Also, HUGE shoutout to kccougar. Spade L Ranch rub was so amazing. Everyone loved it. I did one with the roasted garlic peppercorn and one with Spade L. Next time I will do both with Spade L. Might be my new favorite rub. Absolutely incredible stuff, at least with tri tip. I would implore my fellow smokers to try it out.
    I'm making chili tomorrow for our DO cookoff. I picked up a bottle of Spade based on KC's recommendation. Can't wait to try it.

  5. #35
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I'm making chili tomorrow for our DO cookoff. I picked up a bottle of Spade based on KC's recommendation. Can't wait to try it.
    Have you popped the cap yet? stuff smells great, tastes even better.

    what is your chili recipe? Might be fun to make some chili with bread bowls.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Have you popped the cap yet? stuff smells great, tastes even better.

    what is your chili recipe? Might be fun to make some chili with bread bowls.
    Nothing special. Mostly a hodge podge of ingredients. I cheat and use Staggs as my base, add what I have around the kitchen and a tri-tip. I will almost always throw an onion, three or four serrano peppers, garlic cloves, a green or red pepper and even a shallot into the food processor and chop coarsely. Sauté in a DO, throw in the cubed up beef, add the chili, spices, a bean and corn salsa, and simmer for a couple hours. The tri-tip and the fresh produce make it really pretty good.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Have you popped the cap yet? stuff smells great, tastes even better.

    what is your chili recipe? Might be fun to make some chili with bread bowls.
    Annoying that the bottle isn't a shaker.

  8. #38

    Default



    Olive oil plus Spade.

    I'll drop one in a couple hours, wish me luck.

  9. #39

    Default

    OMGosh....



    Hickory - 225 for about an hour until 135 - grill on each side



    Tried to get the char marks



    Im sweating my cut I ended up cutting a couple different ways couldn't really tell a difference as far as tenderness



    Amazingly fantastic.

    Thanks for your help.

  10. #40
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Nice Job Fus! I take it the pork is for tomorrow?

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Nice Job Fus! I take it the pork is for tomorrow?
    Thanks buddy.

    Just had a tri tip quesadilla for breakfast.....good heavens, unreal. I literally might eat tritip everyday.

  12. #42
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    OMGosh....



    Hickory - 225 for about an hour until 135 - grill on each side



    Tried to get the char marks



    Im sweating my cut I ended up cutting a couple different ways couldn't really tell a difference as far as tenderness



    Amazingly fantastic.

    Thanks for your help.
    You have inspired me. I am doing tri-tip for dinner tonight.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  13. #43
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Fus, I noticed you rocked the Spade L on your 3 pointed slabs. What was the verdict? Did you dig the flavor? We absolutely loved it. That stuff has some serious mojo.

    Also, that middle picture of the cut with the juice....that thing should be a centerfold.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  14. #44
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,517

    Default

    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  15. #45
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    Sniders has Spade for beef, poultry, and pork. Get steppin'. You also need some frogmats.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  16. #46
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.

    Allens has it if you have one close. I picked it up at the springville allens. Their website says the smiths in Provo has it as well or Maceys. It is back at the butcher in Allens.

  17. #47
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #48
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.

    Seriously, check right by the butcher.

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Fus, I noticed you rocked the Spade L on your 3 pointed slabs. What was the verdict? Did you dig the flavor? We absolutely loved it. That stuff has some serious mojo.

    Also, that middle picture of the cut with the juice....that thing should be a centerfold.
    Spade was awesome. I'm sure everyone in Utah has had the Santa Maria tip from Sniders, not even on the same level.

    It was seriously amazing - I started giggling when I popped the lid and the tri had swollen.

  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
    The Spade website said it was at Albertsons in my hood but I found it at a Smiths, in fact I saw it in two different Smiths yesterday.

    Stuff is crazy good.

  21. #51

    Default

    LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

    I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.

  22. #52
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  23. #53
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
    It is 2L2Q. Order some and be prepared to enjoy. I can only speak to the beef rub but coach says the chicken rub was worthy.

    I just served it on Friday night and all the adults commented on the incredible flavor. The kids gobbled it up.

    You are right that it is only a rub, but as far as rubs go, it is dang good.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  24. #54
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post
    LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

    I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.
    I seem to do this with everything I put together, I really didn't want it to be wrong on my smoker (kids bunk beds, who cares?) so I checked, then double checked, then made ldc come check to make sure I had the on correctly.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  25. #55
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
    We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

    I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

    I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
    Two pack from Costco, 5.99 a lb.

    It was 24 for two tips.

  27. #57

    Default

    Quesadilla, had to have another while this pork cools.


  28. #58
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    My first attempt at tri-tip:

    On the Traeger, set at 225*, hickory/apple blend, w/ Traeger's Prime Rib Rub:


    Pulled at 135* and seared on both sides for approx. 1-1.5 minutes


    Sliced against the grain and on the bias (what up, DDD!)


    A few notes:

    The Prime Rib Rub is okay. I liked it but it was a bit overpowering. I am ordering the Spade L this week and I will have to do it again to see the difference.

    Next time I will pull at 130* and then sear. It was perfect in the middle for me and mine but my dad likes it more rare. I think it would be perfect for the family if I pulled it earlier. I also tented for about 10-15 minutes after the sear...maybe I kept it a bit too long.

    I effin' love tri-tip. It was delish and got props from my dad and uncle (big time meat lovers). The only place that we have found it out here is a local butcher. He was selling it at $3.49/lb because he is having a hard time selling it. I hope he continues to carry it. I may need to stock up and freeze a few just in case.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  29. #59
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default


  30. #60

    Default

    Looks amazing.

    I picked up some tri today at Costco, it's my favorite cut right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •