The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Ok gents. Going to attempt my first tri tips on the smoker tomorrow.

First, it seems like 100 degrees is a good target temp for a medium rare coloring? Also, preferred wood type? What temp do you smoke?

I don't own grill grates. Can I purchase them locally or are they purely online? Are they critical?

Also, if I am just searing, can I toss the Tri tip on the gas grill for the last little bit to sear them and get the temp up? Or should I just keep it in the smoker?

Cutting a Tri tip....against the grain is the way to go? How long does it have to rest?

I'm using a garlic peppercorn rub. Hopefully tastes good.

Also, do you rub overnight or not necessary?

Thanks
    Here is how I do it, but in no way am I an expert. I've had good success so I keep making it this way. It really has become my favorite beef meal.

I put a good beef rub on it and add a little garlic powder on top of the rub. I then put it in the smoker at about 225 degrees until the internal temp is about 100 degrees. Once at 100 degrees internally, I crank the smoker to 450 and let it go until internal temp is 125 degrees. Tri-tip will kind of puff up or swell when done correctly. Let the meat rest at least 10 minutes. I try to rest between 15 and 20 minutes. Cutting against the grain is absolutely critical to good eating tri-tip. I will cut the meat into two pieces at the bend in the meat. This allows you to better slice all pieces against the grain.

I use grill grates because it gives it a little more of a char on the outside, but they are not necessary for a great tri-tip.

I typically use hickory and fruit. I'm not sure how your hopper is set up. The Memphis has two hoppers so one side is almost always filled with hickory and the other side with a fruit wood. Makes for a nice mellow flavor.

Lastly, I really like Costco tri-tips. I tried Sniders with their Santa Maria rub and it was not good. I picked up a tri-tip at my butcher Thursday and turned into chili yesterday. It was awesome. The best I've ever had by far. In fact, I may never buy from Costco again. The Costco roasts are completely trimmed and very lean. The butcher had a very thin fat cap that I trimmed off before eating. The favor difference was amazing.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I looked for tri-tip last night and all I could find were some beautiful choice tips. But they were $10.49/lb. Yikes. So I picked up two 8lb pork shoulders for the same price as one tip instead. Sorry Cowboy.
      Ouch. I thought it was bad here. It is running about $7 a pound in Utah right now. A couple of years ago it was about $3 a pound.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
        Here is how I do it, but in no way am I an expert. I've had good success so I keep making it this way. It really has become my favorite beef meal.

I put a good beef rub on it and add a little garlic powder on top of the rub. I then put it in the smoker at about 225 degrees until the internal temp is about 100 degrees. Once at 100 degrees internally, I crank the smoker to 450 and let it go until internal temp is 125 degrees. Tri-tip will kind of puff up or swell when done correctly. Let the meat rest at least 10 minutes. I try to rest between 15 and 20 minutes. Cutting against the grain is absolutely critical to good eating tri-tip. I will cut the meat into two pieces at the bend in the meat. This allows you to better slice all pieces against the grain.

I use grill grates because it gives it a little more of a char on the outside, but they are not necessary for a great tri-tip.

I typically use hickory and fruit. I'm not sure how your hopper is set up. The Memphis has two hoppers so one side is almost always filled with hickory and the other side with a fruit wood. Makes for a nice mellow flavor.

Lastly, I really like Costco tri-tips. I tried Sniders with their Santa Maria rub and it was not good. I picked up a tri-tip at my butcher Thursday and turned into chili yesterday. It was awesome. The best I've ever had by far. In fact, I may never buy from Costco again. The Costco roasts are completely trimmed and very lean. The butcher had a very thin fat cap that I trimmed off before eating. The favor difference was amazing.
        Thanks dude, very helpful. Your instructions scare me because frankly you make it sound and look pretty easy.

Does the entire cook take you around 1:20-1:30? I'm also going to cook chickens so the timing should be about right.

I think that weird BBQ place I told you guys about sells grill grates. Won't be able to get some tomorrow but perhaps this week.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks dude, very helpful. Your instructions scare me because frankly you make it sound and look pretty easy.

Does the entire cook take you around 1:20-1:30? I'm also going to cook chickens so the timing should be about right.

I think that weird BBQ place I told you guys about sells grill grates. Won't be able to get some tomorrow but perhaps this week.
          It is easy. Total cook time will vary by thickness, but my experience is about an hour or so including resting time. Honestly it really varies though.

I feel like tri-tip right now.

Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday. Notice the fat cap.

Diced up and ready for the dip.

Last edited by CJF; 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

A good how to slice a tri tip video.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pF4gM89t3k&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Santa Maria Tri-Tip - How To Carve A Santa Maria Tri-Tip - YouTube[/nomedia]

Comment

Costco is closed on memorial day so I was shut out. Had to buy my three tips at Smiths. A little concerned by the lack of marbling in the meat....there is some but would be nice to see more.

Im using a garlic peppercorn rub and a sugar maple rub. Not sure how the sugar maple will taste, but it smelled so good I wanted to try it on something.

Dinner not until 5:30 or 6 so I have some time. Meanwhile, doing yard work. I feel like I should be drinking a cold beer.

sigpic

Comment

This is a very basic approach to tri-tip but it is a crowd-pleaser.

If you like medium-medium rare meat, as I do, start with the tri tip roasts at Costco, the ones that are 2 to a package. If you're only cooking for a few people you can freeze one for another day. If you like all your meat fairly well cooked then get the tri tip steaks, also at Costco. (We prefer the roasts.)

I don't have many specific measurements for anything. I start rubbing the roasts with a fair amount of sea salt, garlic salt and garlic powder, then black pepper and onion salt/powder (whichever I have).

Next:

Place meat in large ziplock bag and add red wine vinegar (about 1/4 cup) and 2 tbl of Worcestershire sauce. Next add 1/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and 1/8 cup Frank's red hot. Mix all this together well in the bag and then add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups Olive Oil. Marinate all day or overnight.

Heat grill up to about 500-600 degrees and drop meat on to sear for 2 minutes on each side. You will get some flare ups from the olive oil. No worries.

Then reduce heat to between 300-400 and cook slowly for about 45 minutes or more for the steaks, or 1 hour or more for the roasts. I like to do this stage (after the searing process is done) by placing all the meat up on the top rack of BBQ if I have one, and continuing the cooking process that way. The object is to let all the marbling in the meat melt slowly back into the roasts.

We're not doing this today but now that I've put up the recipe I wish we were!
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

:rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2:

sigpic

Comment

:rockon2: :rockon2: :rockon2:
                    Details, please.

Comment

Wow, fantastico. Super easy, much faster than pork shoulder, and very delish.

Smoked two tips. Prepped each with a very light coating of evoo....just enough to get the rub to adhere well. Used a roasted garlic peppercorn rub and a sugar maple rub.

I pulled them out of the fridge about an hour and half before smoking to let them rise closer to room temp.

Slapped them on at 225. Hickory. Crappy pic gives you an idea:

I left it at 225 the entire time until it hit 135 on the thermapen and the maverick. That probably took around one hour or a little more. I wanted to get a sear going but I'm done w.a.s.t.ing pellets to get the smoker temp to rise up to 400 or so. There is no additional benefit from a smoke perspective and it takes too long and costs too much in terms of fuel. Instead, I cranked up the gas grill as hot as it would go. Once the tips hit 135, I removed them from the traeger and seared them on the gas grill. Maybe 1.5 minutes per side. Left some really nice grill marks.

Brought them inside and let them sit for around 12-15 minutes. Then, per the instruction I received in several vids, I sliced against the grain and on the bias (that's right suckas...I said on the bias...don't hate!). I was really nervous to make that first cut but the second I sliced into it, I was elated. It was a beautiful shade of medium rare, some juice escaping onto the cutting board but mostly oozing from the meat.

Everyone loved it. Taste was incredible. And best of all, didn't take very long. I know it is heresy to diss brisket but I never understood all the fuss with 4 hour stalls and whatnot when tri-tip tastes juicier, takes less time and is super easy. I want to try doing brisket, of course, and burnt ends are the shiz, but for the time and money, the 3 tips are the way to go for me.

Garlic peppercorn rub was really good, not great, and little kids might not dig the distinct pepper flavor. Sugar maple is a good rub but I won't use it again on a tri-tip. Made me feel like I was eating a x-mas ham. I think it would be a great rub for pork or chicken. So I want to do more tri tip and explore new rubs.

Thanks to CJF for the pointers and the confidence. That was a great meal.

sigpic

Comment

Nice job. They look great. I wondered how the maple sugar rub would turn out. I can't imagine sweet steak. The peppercorn sounded great.

I've pulled from the smoker and placed directly into the oven on broil to get that sear. Gas grill is a great option. Having a rub with salt helps get that nice crust with the searing. I love that. Tastes so good.

Like I've said several times here. Tri-tip is my favorite beef meal. It is lean but so flavorful and incredibly tender if done right. It takes on just enough smoke without taking forever. And it make great sandwiches or meat for chili with leftovers. As I said earlier, I put into my queso dip. I love tri-tip.

Next, you've got to try one from my butcher. That little bit of a fat cap take it to the next level. Incredible.

Comment

Garlic peppercorn rub was really good, not great, and little kids might not dig the distinct pepper flavor. Sugar maple is a good rub but I won't use it again on a tri-tip. Made me feel like I was eating a x-mas ham. I think it would be a great rub for pork or chicken. So I want to do more tri tip and explore new rubs.
                          I'm telling you - Spade L Ranch seasoning. You'll thank me.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            I'm telling you - Spade L Ranch seasoning. You'll thank me.
                            I will be happy to thank you but can you please tell me where to get some? Hook a brother up!

I'm seriously considering doing tri tip again this weekend.

sigpic

Comment

I will be happy to thank you but can you please tell me where to get some? Hook a brother up!

I'm seriously considering doing tri tip again this weekend.
                              I know you can get it at Snider's. And their website lists Albertson's in Draper along with many other locations.

http://www.spadelranch.com/spadelranch/ut.htm
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                I know you can get it at Snider's. And their website lists Albertson's in Draper along with many other locations.

http://www.spadelranch.com/spadelranch/ut.htm
                                I thought Albertson's no longer exists in Utah. Didn't it become Fresh Market or Fresh Value or something like that?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X