No announcement yet.

The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there consensus on the best wood smoke for tri-tip?
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      I was going to do the DDD chicken special but the 'Co didn't have quarters.
      What's the DDD chicken special? Do you have a link?
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
        Is there consensus on the best wood smoke for tri-tip?
        In Santa Maria they'd insist on oak.
        Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
          What's the DDD chicken special? Do you have a link?
          I think its towards the end of the spatchcock chicken thread.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• That looks great, hostile, especially that salad. But looking at the grain on those slices, it appears that you need to watch this short video:

[YOUTUBE]gmxHmuV4vTU[/YOUTUBE]
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              That looks great, hostile, especially that salad. But looking at the grain on those slices, it appears that you need to watch this short video:

I was going to say the same thing.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                Is there consensus on the best wood smoke for tri-tip?
                Since it only smokes for about one hour, I would suggest going with something strong such as hickory or mesquite or maybe oak.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That looks great, hostile, especially that salad. But looking at the grain on those slices, it appears that you need to watch this short video:
                  Please also slice on the bias.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Occupational habit - cut parallel to the muscle fibers
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Since it only smokes for about one hour, I would suggest going with something strong such as hickory or mesquite or maybe oak.
                      I use lump charcoal (hardwood mix - oak, hickory, etc) and then throw in a couple of hickory discs cut from a friend's tree.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• I will throw this out there. I love tri-tip and I normally used to make a pico-de-gallo that I ate it with. Lately I have been making the following chimichurri sauce. Somebody give it a try. I pure it in my NINJA. Some recipes call for only pulsing the parsley, oregano and cilantro. I did that once and it was fine and looked sexier, but I noticed no difference in taste between the pured and pulsed herbs. Further, the pure is much, much easier to make.

Here is what I do:

One bunch of parsley, leaves only.
                        One bunch of Cilantro, leaves only.
                        One bunch of Oregano (at my local Fred Meyer I buy it off the Organic shelf as it comes in a plastic box usually with only leaves...not sure if it is a bunch but I throw all the leaves in)
                        One entire head of garlic.
                        Two bunches of green onions
                        Red Pepper flakes to taste or one small roasted chipotle pepper (if flakes add with salt after pureing the sauce if small rosted chipotle add in NINJA)
                        One cup of Olive Oil, extra virgin - those were the days!
                        4 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
                        2 limes squeezed (I put in microwave for 10 seconds and then roll) they are round and squeezable and in my experience those should always be in pairs!
                        Kosher Salt to taste

Phenomenal on beef and folks I live in Idaho so while I don't know how the world feels about Mitt, we know beef in the most non-organic sexy way there is!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          Occupational habit - cut parallel to the muscle fibers
                          I was going to say something also, but I figured it was more important that you not confuse your next knee surgery with a tri-tip.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                            I will throw this out there. I love tri-tip and I normally used to make a pico-de-gallo that I ate it with. Lately I have been making the following chimichurri sauce. Somebody give it a try. I pure it in my NINJA. Some recipes call for only pulsing the parsley, oregano and cilantro. I did that once and it was fine and looked sexier, but I noticed no difference in taste between the pured and pulsed herbs. Further, the pure is much, much easier to make.

Here is what I do:

One bunch of parsley, leaves only.
                            One bunch of Cilantro, leaves only.
                            One bunch of Oregano (at my local Fred Meyer I buy it off the Organic shelf as it comes in a plastic box usually with only leaves...not sure if it is a bunch but I throw all the leaves in)
                            One entire head of garlic.
                            Two bunches of green onions
                            Red Pepper flakes to taste or one small roasted chipotle pepper (if flakes add with salt after pureing the sauce if small rosted chipotle add in NINJA)
                            One cup of Olive Oil, extra virgin - those were the days!
                            4 tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
                            2 limes squeezed (I put in microwave for 10 seconds and then roll) they are round and squeezable and in my experience those should always be in pairs!
                            Kosher Salt to taste

Phenomenal on beef and folks I live in Idaho so while I don't know how the world feels about Mitt, we know beef in the most non-organic sexy way there is!
                            I will give this a shot. The last time that I did brisket I made wuap's chimichurri. It was a big hit.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• I always make chimichurri when I'm grilling flank steak.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                                I will give this a shot. The last time that I did brisket I made wuap's chimichurri. It was a big hit.
                                Promise me you will use two fresh limes if you do. They better in pairs, pardner!
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X