The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Was planning to cook another tri-tip on Sunday afternoon. When the power in the neighborhood went out (one disadvantage of a Traeger), I took the kids on a bike ride to the park instead. The power was back when we returned, so I decided to go for it in spite of it already being late.

I picked up this tip at Albertson's, and I probably won't do that again. At the same price per pound as the Costco tip ($7.99), there were thick layers of extra fat on the exterior.

I put a light mixed coat of Spade L and Montreal Steak Seasoning on the meat and tossed it on the Traeger at 225. It went about 80-90 minutes before hitting 130 (Thermapen ftw) when I pulled it and let it rest inside. It rested for about 30 minutes before I cut into it against the grain and mostly on the bias.

Very juicy and flavorful. I didn't get any good pictures since it was pretty dark outside during the cook and the glare from my kitchen lighting was annoying me and I was hungry.

The 7-year-old was too tired to wait for the meat. She ate mashed potatoes and went to bed. The 11-year-old had no problem staying up and eating lots of tri-tip, but not without complaining about the color of the meat.
    I get my tips from a butcher and they leave the fat cap on. I like it much better than a regular Costco tip. Especially after the reverse sear. Much more flavorble.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
      I get my tips from a butcher and they leave the fat cap on. I like it much better than a regular Costco tip. Especially after the reverse sear. Much more flavorble.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
        I'm too lazy to go back through the earlier posts. How long each side do you do the reverse sear (which I assume means a sear prior to the smoke)?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I'm too lazy to go back through the earlier posts. How long each side do you do the reverse sear (which I assume means a sear prior to the smoke)?
          no it means sear after you smoke. it is the final step in the cook process.

Sear on each side for a couple of mins, then pull and rest.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            no it means sear after you smoke. it is the final step in the cook process.

Sear on each side for a couple of mins, then pull and rest.
            Thanks, but stupid me. That's exactly how I've been doing it for a couple of years now, following assiduously the instructions you laid out long ago. I've been doing it so long that way I guess I thought a "reverse" sear was doing the opposite instead of the tried and true method. BTW, we had a non-Costco 'tip Sunday that had more fat to start. Even after trimming off the excess, the results were outstanding, with Mrs. PAC nearly weeping with delight.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Thanks, but stupid me. That's exactly how I've been doing it for a couple of years now, following assiduously the instructions you laid out long ago. I've been doing it so long that way I guess I thought a "reverse" sear was doing the opposite instead of the tried and true method. BTW, we had a non-Costco 'tip Sunday that had more fat to start. Even after trimming off the excess, the results were outstanding, with Mrs. PAC nearly weeping with delight.
              normally when a chop house sears a steak, they slap it on the cooking surface while raw and at blazing high heat, remove, and then place it in a warmer until it is served, usually pretty quickly after the sear. I guess the "reverse" sear is so-named because you sear over high heat (flame) after having endured 90 or so mins of smoking/cooking. This allows the tip to puff up and look good. Frankly, after the smoke but before the sear, the tip always looks like a dingy gray, unappetizing mess. after two minutes over flame, it has completely transformed its appearance. Tri Tip is the Caitlyn Jenner of meats.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I'm working on a couple of tri-tips at the moment:

image.jpg
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  I'm working on a couple of tri-tips at the moment:

[ATTACH]6859[/ATTACH]
                  Yum.

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  normally when a chop house sears a steak, they slap it on the cooking surface while raw and at blazing high heat, remove, and then place it in a warmer until it is served, usually pretty quickly after the sear. I guess the "reverse" sear is so-named because you sear over high heat (flame) after having endured 90 or so mins of smoking/cooking. This allows the tip to puff up and look good. Frankly, after the smoke but before the sear, the tip always looks like a dingy gray, unappetizing mess. after two minutes over flame, it has completely transformed its appearance. Tri Tip is the Caitlyn Jenner of meats.
                  Loving the tri-tip, but I'd like to stay away from Caitlyn's meat.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I went a little more done at the request of a guest. It turned out great.

image.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      I went a little more done at the request of a guest. It turned out great.

[ATTACH]6860[/ATTACH]
                      What was the internal temp when you pulled those?
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• The beauty of tri-tip is that it is so juicy and flavorful that even when you over-cook it, it still tastes great.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          What was the internal temp when you pulled those?
                          The pen read between 153F-156F degrees IIRC. I usually take it off a little over 140F.

Comment

• Wow, JP. Looks amazing.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• We took a shot at tri tip today. The recipe we looked at wildly overshot the time to cook-- start to finish was two hours. Here's the finished product:

Pleased, overall. I couldn't believe the smoke ring-- it really took the smoke on even in the comparatively short time it was smoking. I made a few mental notes for when we cook up the next tip from the Costco two-pack, including to use either a different rub than the Montreal's or to use less of it. I'll also remember to serve the smaller slices from the narrower end to our guests we want to think we like them by serving them the first slice and saving the stuff from the middle for ourselves. Cuz that was good stuff.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                We took a shot at tri tip today. The recipe we looked at wildly overshot the time to cook-- start to finish was two hours. Here's the finished product:

Pleased, overall. I couldn't believe the smoke ring-- it really took the smoke on even in the comparatively short time it was smoking. I made a few mental notes for when we cook up the next tip from the Costco two-pack, including to use either a different rub than the Montreal's or to use less of it. I'll also remember to serve the smaller slices from the narrower end to our guests we want to think we like them by serving them the first slice and saving the stuff from the middle for ourselves. Cuz that was good stuff.
                                Looks very tender. Beautifully done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X