The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Tri-Tip thread

I figured that if brisket and ribs could have their own threads, why not tri-tip.

I really feel sorry for people who live in an area of the country where butchers dont know what tri-tip is. It is one of my favorite cuts of meat. Traditionally, tri-tip is cooked over oak and the meat is rubbed with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I have used montreal steak seasoning and really like the flavor. My go to recently is Susie Q's Santa Maria rub (found at Costco) but I want to try The Rub Company's Santa Maria style rub as I have heard good things about it.

Anyways, I bought myself a new camera for my birthday (Canon 60D) and wanted to try it out, so I cooked a couple tri-tips on the Yoder tonight.

These werent the best tri-tip I have ever seen, but looked like they had good marbleing, so they came home with me.

Anyways, cooked them indirect on the Yoder YS640 until they were about 115° and then seared them on the grill grates until done. They tasted great although one was slightly more cooked than I wanted on one side...

I have alot to learn with this new camera. It is my first DSLR.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Well I don't know about the rest, but the parts that are in focus look delish.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Looks great. I'm all for the separate thread per food item / type. Makes them much easier to find. Plus it will piss off the anti-threadites so that it is a bonus.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Tri-tip was one of the many hidden jems that we discovered when we moved here 11 years ago. I am glad that somehow that tradition makes it way over the mountains to this area.

Comment

I like a well-cooked tri-tip better than most cuts of steak. And coincidentally, I grilled two tri-tips just last night! I bought the double pack at Costco and forgot to freeze one so I grilled both and saved one for steak fajitas and steak burritos later this week. If I'd known we were starting a new thread I would have taken some pictures.

I like a Santa Maria rub as well, but my favorite is Spade L Ranch seasoning, which I believe can be found in many grocery stores these days. I was out last night so I used Montreal Steak seasoning. It was decent, but the Spade L Ranch is the way to go for me.

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Comment

Someone has been to Costco. Looks great.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Well?
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  Well?
                  Medium and delish!

I forgot pics of the carving, but I have a couple of a finished roast that I FTCed for my brother. When I get a sec, I'll post it.

Comment

I think this my new favorite meal. I had a tri-tip in the freezer at about 5:00 pm today. I had a craving and couldn't wait to thaw it. So I just rinsed it off, threw some rub on it, put on the grill at 225 for 70 minutes. Cranked it up to 475 and put it on the grill grates. 8 minutes each side later, a perfectly medium rare, tender, delish tri-tip. I tried a little Salt Lick spicy sauce. I'm stuffed, but just thinking about is making my mouth water. So good.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      I think this my new favorite meal. I had a tri-tip in the freezer at about 5:00 pm today. I had a craving and couldn't wait to thaw it. So I just rinsed it off, threw some rub on it, put on the grill at 225 for 70 minutes. Cranked it up to 475 and put it on the grill grates. 8 minutes each side later, a perfectly medium rare, tender, delish tri-tip. I tried a little Salt Lick spicy sauce. I'm stuffed, but just thinking about is making my mouth water. So good.
                      Dang it. Post pics!
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Dang it. Post pics!
                        I didn't take any. I was on several long calls today so my phone was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Dang it. Post pics!
                          I went to Snide's today to pick up pork belly to make my own bacon. No luck. But I did pick up a tri-tip. Honestly, I was disappointed. I got one with the Santa Maria seasoning on it already. It wasn't as good as the rub I put on myself. It didn't plump up like a tri-tip normally does. It is still one of my favorite beef meal, even when just average.

I smoked with cherry and hickory until 100 degrees and the cranked it up to 450 until internal temp reached 125. Rested and sliced against the grain.
                          Pics for JL.

Last edited by CJF; 05-23-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Ok gents. Going to attempt my first tri tips on the smoker tomorrow.

First, it seems like 100 degrees is a good target temp for a medium rare coloring? Also, preferred wood type? What temp do you smoke?

I don't own grill grates. Can I purchase them locally or are they purely online? Are they critical?

Also, if I am just searing, can I toss the Tri tip on the gas grill for the last little bit to sear them and get the temp up? Or should I just keep it in the smoker?

Cutting a Tri tip....against the grain is the way to go? How long does it have to rest?

I'm using a garlic peppercorn rub. Hopefully tastes good.

Also, do you rub overnight or not necessary?

Thanks
                            Last edited by TripletDaddy; 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I looked for tri-tip last night and all I could find were some beautiful choice tips. But they were $10.49/lb. Yikes. So I picked up two 8lb pork shoulders for the same price as one tip instead. Sorry Cowboy.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X