The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.

Allens has it if you have one close. I picked it up at the springville allens. Their website says the smiths in Provo has it as well or Maceys. It is back at the butcher in Allens.

Comment

Where are you folks picking up the Spade-L rub? I have been scouring local markets but I haven't found any.
      That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That's weird. The Spade L website says they sell it at the Harmon's in Orem. I guess I just need to look closer. If I get super desperate I might even ask for help.

Seriously, check right by the butcher.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Fus, I noticed you rocked the Spade L on your 3 pointed slabs. What was the verdict? Did you dig the flavor? We absolutely loved it. That stuff has some serious mojo.

Also, that middle picture of the cut with the juice....that thing should be a centerfold. :rockon1:
          Spade was awesome. I'm sure everyone in Utah has had the Santa Maria tip from Sniders, not even on the same level.

It was seriously amazing - I started giggling when I popped the lid and the tri had swollen.

Comment

The Spade website said it was at Albertsons in my hood but I found it at a Smiths, in fact I saw it in two different Smiths yesterday.

Stuff is crazy good.

Comment

LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.

Comment

How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  How good is the spade L, all hype aside? I can't get it out here but if I order it it comes in a 4 bottle pkg. I suppose I could give a bottle to my pops and my FIL.
                  It is 2L2Q. Order some and be prepared to enjoy. I can only speak to the beef rub but coach says the chicken rub was worthy.

I just served it on Friday night and all the adults commented on the incredible flavor. The kids gobbled it up.

You are right that it is only a rub, but as far as rubs go, it is dang good.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                    LOL at my tip on Traeger pic.

I just realized I put the back legs of the T on inside out, you should see a wheel in the bottom right corner, instead you see a bolt.
                    I seem to do this with everything I put together, I really didn't want it to be wrong on my smoker (kids bunk beds, who cares?) so I checked, then double checked, then made ldc come check to make sure I had the on correctly.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        We had Spade L but used it all. I haven't looked for it in a bit, I'll have to look again. Spade L is very good. We have had both beef and pork.

I just noticed our Wegman's here selling Peter Luger's steak sauce. All this steak talk is making me hungry. Fus how much did those tips cost? Man I want to do some but damn it's expensive around her. For $10/lb there are other things I'd rather grill/bbq.
                        Two pack from Costco, 5.99 a lb.

It was 24 for two tips.

Comment

Quesadilla, had to have another while this pork cools.

Comment

My first attempt at tri-tip:

On the Traeger, set at 225*, hickory/apple blend, w/ Traeger's Prime Rib Rub:

Pulled at 135* and seared on both sides for approx. 1-1.5 minutes

Sliced against the grain and on the bias (what up, DDD!)

A few notes:

The Prime Rib Rub is okay. I liked it but it was a bit overpowering. I am ordering the Spade L this week and I will have to do it again to see the difference.

Next time I will pull at 130* and then sear. It was perfect in the middle for me and mine but my dad likes it more rare. I think it would be perfect for the family if I pulled it earlier. I also tented for about 10-15 minutes after the sear...maybe I kept it a bit too long.

I effin' love tri-tip. It was delish and got props from my dad and uncle (big time meat lovers). The only place that we have found it out here is a local butcher. He was selling it at $3.49/lb because he is having a hard time selling it. I hope he continues to carry it. I may need to stock up and freeze a few just in case.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Comment

Looks amazing.

I picked up some tri today at Costco, it's my favorite cut right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X