Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Official Tri-Tip thread

Looks really good, PAC. For smoking, the theory is you'll get a more pronounced smoke ring going cold to the smoker. The colder the product the better the chemical reaction.

Grillmaster Extraordinair Drunk Tank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Nice job PAC. Hopefully you found the whole process incredibly simple. How long did you let the tips rest before carving?

as for cold vs bringing to temp, go cold. Bring to temp for searing a steak but for smoke go cold. That's just my opinion and I'm sure others have different advice. Plus, the advice changes all the time anyway, experiment and have fun.
    You are spot on with your advice. Smoke=start cold, sear=room temp.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

I did tri-tip for the first time last night and it was absolutely amazing. Thanks to all the tips here, the meat came out better than I could have imagined and yes, DDD, I did incorporate cutting on a bias.

I'm warming up for kick-off weekend:

image.jpg
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

This Saturday I'm thinking about doing tri-tip tacos or sandwiches.

Tacos would be on fresh corn tortillas, with pico, cabbage, that crumbly mexican cheese and a creme fresh.

Sandwiches... anyone ever tried it on soft rolls with a BBQ sauce and cabbage, alomost like a brisket sandwich?
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    This Saturday I'm thinking about doing tri-tip tacos or sandwiches.

Tacos would be on fresh corn tortillas, with pico, cabbage, that crumbly mexican cheese and a creme fresh.

Sandwiches... anyone ever tried it on soft rolls with a BBQ sauce and cabbage, alomost like a brisket sandwich?
    Yeah, I've had a tri tip sandwich (in a restaurant). Fantastic.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

sorry i didnt answer before. forgot.

i do tip sandwiches all the time. they are a huge hit. love toasting the inside the of the bread and then once toasted, dipping the inside of the slice into the (David) Blood. I have found that it is better to slice the tip extra thin for sandwiches otherwise you destroy the bread trying to chew off pieces. Extra thin not meaning deli thin but more thin than you would slice to serve. As far as toppings, i go BBQ sauce or plain, never mustard or any other condiment. Love tomatoes and red onion slice. My wife likes havarti cheese on it but i skip cheese on my steak. We also love to chop up spicy yellow peppers and top the steak with those. As for bread, i like those whatever they are square sandwich rolls from The 'Co. Have also had great success with extra thick sourdough but if you that route, toast on both sides. I have found that toasting the bread helps keep the sandwich a little more firm, which matters when you are trying to bite through steak.

I down two of these for a meal and I am usually feeling pretty good about myself and my career.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

This is helpful sandwich info. We hosted the sister missionaries last evening and I did two tips on the Traeger, following board-approved methods. The sisters acted as if this were the most spiritual experience they'd had all week and perhaps it was, as the tips were really good. We still had some left over, however, so sandwiches it is. I'd expect to prep them without much embellishment, but I confess I've occasionally added some A-1 to cold 'tip in the past. Please forgive.

Grillmaster Extraordinair Drunk Tank's Avatar

Grilled bell peppers, caramelized onions and salsa (individually, not as a whole) are also delish on tri tip sandwiches. BBQ sauce is my fav condiment on them.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III