Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 331 to 351 of 351

Thread: The Official Tri-Tip thread

  1. #331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Was planning to cook another tri-tip on Sunday afternoon. When the power in the neighborhood went out (one disadvantage of a Traeger), I took the kids on a bike ride to the park instead. The power was back when we returned, so I decided to go for it in spite of it already being late.

    I picked up this tip at Albertson's, and I probably won't do that again. At the same price per pound as the Costco tip ($7.99), there were thick layers of extra fat on the exterior.

    I put a light mixed coat of Spade L and Montreal Steak Seasoning on the meat and tossed it on the Traeger at 225. It went about 80-90 minutes before hitting 130 (Thermapen ftw) when I pulled it and let it rest inside. It rested for about 30 minutes before I cut into it against the grain and mostly on the bias.

    Very juicy and flavorful. I didn't get any good pictures since it was pretty dark outside during the cook and the glare from my kitchen lighting was annoying me and I was hungry.

    The 7-year-old was too tired to wait for the meat. She ate mashed potatoes and went to bed. The 11-year-old had no problem staying up and eating lots of tri-tip, but not without complaining about the color of the meat.
    I get my tips from a butcher and they leave the fat cap on. I like it much better than a regular Costco tip. Especially after the reverse sear. Much more flavorble.

  2. #332
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I get my tips from a butcher and they leave the fat cap on. I like it much better than a regular Costco tip. Especially after the reverse sear. Much more flavorble.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  3. #333
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I get my tips from a butcher and they leave the fat cap on. I like it much better than a regular Costco tip. Especially after the reverse sear. Much more flavorble.
    I'm too lazy to go back through the earlier posts. How long each side do you do the reverse sear (which I assume means a sear prior to the smoke)?

  4. #334
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm too lazy to go back through the earlier posts. How long each side do you do the reverse sear (which I assume means a sear prior to the smoke)?
    no it means sear after you smoke. it is the final step in the cook process.

    Sear on each side for a couple of mins, then pull and rest.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  5. #335
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    no it means sear after you smoke. it is the final step in the cook process.

    Sear on each side for a couple of mins, then pull and rest.
    Thanks, but stupid me. That's exactly how I've been doing it for a couple of years now, following assiduously the instructions you laid out long ago. I've been doing it so long that way I guess I thought a "reverse" sear was doing the opposite instead of the tried and true method. BTW, we had a non-Costco 'tip Sunday that had more fat to start. Even after trimming off the excess, the results were outstanding, with Mrs. PAC nearly weeping with delight.

  6. #336
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Thanks, but stupid me. That's exactly how I've been doing it for a couple of years now, following assiduously the instructions you laid out long ago. I've been doing it so long that way I guess I thought a "reverse" sear was doing the opposite instead of the tried and true method. BTW, we had a non-Costco 'tip Sunday that had more fat to start. Even after trimming off the excess, the results were outstanding, with Mrs. PAC nearly weeping with delight.
    normally when a chop house sears a steak, they slap it on the cooking surface while raw and at blazing high heat, remove, and then place it in a warmer until it is served, usually pretty quickly after the sear. I guess the "reverse" sear is so-named because you sear over high heat (flame) after having endured 90 or so mins of smoking/cooking. This allows the tip to puff up and look good. Frankly, after the smoke but before the sear, the tip always looks like a dingy gray, unappetizing mess. after two minutes over flame, it has completely transformed its appearance. Tri Tip is the Caitlyn Jenner of meats.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  7. #337

    Default

    I'm working on a couple of tri-tips at the moment:

    image.jpg
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  8. #338
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I'm working on a couple of tri-tips at the moment:

    image.jpg
    Yum.

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    normally when a chop house sears a steak, they slap it on the cooking surface while raw and at blazing high heat, remove, and then place it in a warmer until it is served, usually pretty quickly after the sear. I guess the "reverse" sear is so-named because you sear over high heat (flame) after having endured 90 or so mins of smoking/cooking. This allows the tip to puff up and look good. Frankly, after the smoke but before the sear, the tip always looks like a dingy gray, unappetizing mess. after two minutes over flame, it has completely transformed its appearance. Tri Tip is the Caitlyn Jenner of meats.
    Loving the tri-tip, but I'd like to stay away from Caitlyn's meat.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  9. #339

    Default

    I went a little more done at the request of a guest. It turned out great.

    image.jpg

  10. #340
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I went a little more done at the request of a guest. It turned out great.

    image.jpg
    What was the internal temp when you pulled those?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  11. #341

    Default

    The beauty of tri-tip is that it is so juicy and flavorful that even when you over-cook it, it still tastes great.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  12. #342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What was the internal temp when you pulled those?
    The pen read between 153F-156F degrees IIRC. I usually take it off a little over 140F.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  13. #343
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    41,607

    Default

    Wow, JP. Looks amazing.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71

    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  14. #344
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,361

    Default

    We took a shot at tri tip today. The recipe we looked at wildly overshot the time to cook-- start to finish was two hours. Here's the finished product:



    Pleased, overall. I couldn't believe the smoke ring-- it really took the smoke on even in the comparatively short time it was smoking. I made a few mental notes for when we cook up the next tip from the Costco two-pack, including to use either a different rub than the Montreal's or to use less of it. I'll also remember to serve the smaller slices from the narrower end to our guests we want to think we like them by serving them the first slice and saving the stuff from the middle for ourselves. Cuz that was good stuff.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  15. #345
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    We took a shot at tri tip today. The recipe we looked at wildly overshot the time to cook-- start to finish was two hours. Here's the finished product:



    Pleased, overall. I couldn't believe the smoke ring-- it really took the smoke on even in the comparatively short time it was smoking. I made a few mental notes for when we cook up the next tip from the Costco two-pack, including to use either a different rub than the Montreal's or to use less of it. I'll also remember to serve the smaller slices from the narrower end to our guests we want to think we like them by serving them the first slice and saving the stuff from the middle for ourselves. Cuz that was good stuff.
    Looks very tender. Beautifully done.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  16. #346
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    18,416

    Default

    I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

    If I can't get the timing to work on the tri-tip, I may have to go with babybacks and just come home during 2nd hour of church to foil them up. It's too bad I can't skip part of 3rd hour since i have to teach
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  17. #347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

    If I can't get the timing to work on the tri-tip, I may have to go with babybacks and just come home during 2nd hour of church to foil them up. It's too bad I can't skip part of 3rd hour since i have to teach
    1.5 might be enough time, but you are cutting it awfully close.

  18. #348
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    18,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    1.5 might be enough time, but you are cutting it awfully close.
    That's what I thought. My problem is I have to be at church from 3-4pm, so even ribs might be tough since I usually cook them in foil for 2 hours after smoking them. Ugh! I might just have to come home during 2nd hour to start the smoker. Then have the family put the tri-tips on the smoker right when they get home. The smoker would be at the right temp and I could even pull them from the fridge when I start the smoker. Leaving them out for an hour woulnd't be horrible and they'd even come up a bit in temp from their fridge temp. The family can probably be home by 4:15 if they hurry. Then I'd probably be good and maybe even early on the medium rare piece.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  19. #349
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I bought two tri-tips today. They will be for Super Bowl Sunday. I've never done tri-tip before and am wondering about approximate smoking time. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm and likely won't be home from church any earlier than 4:30. The tri-tips are each about 3 lbs a piece. I'm wondering if 1.5 hours will do for total cook time (including smoking, searing, resting). I'm shooting for medium-rare on one and medium on the other.

    If I can't get the timing to work on the tri-tip, I may have to go with babybacks and just come home during 2nd hour of church to foil them up. It's too bad I can't skip part of 3rd hour since i have to teach
    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    That's what I thought. My problem is I have to be at church from 3-4pm, so even ribs might be tough since I usually cook them in foil for 2 hours after smoking them. Ugh! I might just have to come home during 2nd hour to start the smoker. Then have the family put the tri-tips on the smoker right when they get home. The smoker would be at the right temp and I could even pull them from the fridge when I start the smoker. Leaving them out for an hour woulnd't be horrible and they'd even come up a bit in temp from their fridge temp. The family can probably be home by 4:15 if they hurry. Then I'd probably be good and maybe even early on the medium rare piece.
    Did you get the two-pack from Costco? I think Triplet recommended cooking them at 225 until you get to 130 degrees internal temp, then reverse searing on a hot grill for a minute on each side, and then resting the meat for 20-30 minutes. If that's the method you're going with, then I would expect it to take about 2 hours total.

    I actually prefer smoking them at 185 - seems a little more tender to me - but it does take more time. I'll usually get Costco's cryopack of 10 or so tri-tip roasts and freeze most of them. Cooking from frozen at 185 takes quite a bit longer than 2 hours, but the smoke flavor is supposed to adhere more (if Meathead from amazingribs.com can be believed).
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  20. #350
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    41,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Did you get the two-pack from Costco? I think Triplet recommended cooking them at 225 until you get to 130 degrees internal temp, then reverse searing on a hot grill for a minute on each side, and then resting the meat for 20-30 minutes. If that's the method you're going with, then I would expect it to take about 2 hours total.

    I actually prefer smoking them at 185 - seems a little more tender to me - but it does take more time. I'll usually get Costco's cryopack of 10 or so tri-tip roasts and freeze most of them. Cooking from frozen at 185 takes quite a bit longer than 2 hours, but the smoke flavor is supposed to adhere more (if Meathead from amazingribs.com can be believed).
    You don't need to rest steaks before serving.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71

    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  21. #351
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    7,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You don't need to rest steaks before serving.
    Meathead did say that there's not much benefit to resting steaks, but that there is for larger cuts of meat.

    While tri-tip roasts are not particularly big, I still tend to rest them for 15-20 minutes covered (not wrapped) with foil.

    Edit: I misremembered Meathead's words:

    Holding meat: An important exception not the same as resting meat

    Let's define our terms:

    Resting is the term for letting hot meat cooked to normal temperatures cool as discussed above. Typically these are meats cooked to 165°F or below.

    Holding is the technique of letting meat cooked well past well done stay warm for a while after cooking. Typically these are meats cooked in the 195 to 205°F range, like beef brisket, pork butt, and ribs.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

    Apparently he discourages resting meats cooked to 165 or less even if they are larger cuts:

    What about roasts and large cuts?

    Because a beef rib roast, pork loin, or turkey breast can be so much thicker than a steak, when you slice them there is much more surface area to leak juice. So the amount of juice exuded from a roast can be significant and look alarming.

    Will more liquid flow without resting? Blonder says "no". By slicing right away I get to serve perfectly cooked hot meat. I collect the juices from the cutting board and I pour them over the meat on the serving platter. Most of the juices are re-absorbed. Or I make a board sauce (especially on leg of lamb). This is a great way to use the juices and add some excitement. Trust me, I never serve improperly cooked or dry roasts.

    I have even built a cutting board with a slot to collect juices. There's a similar one on Amazon.com, a real beauty, the John Boos Newton Prep Master Reversible 18" Square Cutting Board with Juice Groove and Pan shown here.

    The best reason Blonder sees for resting a big roast like a prime rib is that it stiffens slightly and is easier to carve. But I want my meat limp and compliant. A sharp knife solves any cutting issues.
    And he specifically argues against my use of a foil tent:

    Foil makes it worse

    A loose tent of foil is often suggested during resting. Not only does it not help, it hurts! It does prevent a little heat from escaping, but not much. Foil is a lousy insulator. If you take a dish from the oven that has cooked under foil, in seconds that foil is cool enough to handle. The problem with foil is it traps steam which softens crust and can turn crackly poultry skin to rubber in minutes. And never wrap meat tightly in foil. Juices really come gushing out then.
    Last edited by Pelado; 02-03-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •