The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I think you need to let them rest a bit longer judging by the juice running out. Also, it looks like you have a few slices there cut with the grain. Someone here posted a picture of how to carve up a tip. Looks good though. I may have to try that method of broiling sometime. But I like the char from charcoal.
    Yeah, I know. I would have liked to let them rest longer, but was already running late, and people (especially the grandkids) were getting antsy. I know about cutting across the grain, on the bias and all that, but sometimes on that first cut it's tough to see exactly where the grain changes. Do you have a sure-fire method of always catching the grain the right way?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      Yeah, I know. I would have liked to let them rest longer, but was already running late, and people (especially the grandkids) were getting antsy. I know about cutting across the grain, on the bias and all that, but sometimes on that first cut it's tough to see exactly where the grain changes. Do you have a sure-fire method of always catching the grain the right way?
      Tips vary in grain but generally you can cut it in half from the top of the triangle and then slice against the grain as the grain usually runs from the two ends to the point. On some of my tips the grain runs a bit parallel long edge (hypotenuse if your tip is right angled). So I'll carve from the point down. In some cases like in the video Lebowski previously posted I have had the grain running in 3 distinct ways so I won't just halve the tip but cut it into 3 chunks before carving.

The best way to examine the grain is before putting it on. But usually you can still make it out after the cook.

[YOUTUBE]gmxHmuV4vTU[/YOUTUBE]
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

The grain always goes the same way with tri-tip so no need to cut to see where it is. There is a short video earlier in this thread that provides a nice simple explanation.

Tell those grandkids to buck up. Or sit them down and say a ten-minute blessing on the food.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've rested for 15 minutes or longer and still lost a lots of juice. 10 minutes should always be a minimum, but truly, as long as it is puffed up, it's going to lose juice. I try to pour it over the cut slices and I always include the juice in the packaging of leftovers.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
            I've rested for 15 minutes or longer and still lost a lots of juice. 10 minutes should always be a minimum, but truly, as long as it is puffed up, it's going to lose juice. I try to pour it over the cut slices and I always include the juice in the packaging of leftovers.
            Ha ha, speaking of the juices, my 5 y.o. granddaughter asked what that red stuff was. I told her it was blood. She got really concerned until my wife reassured her it was just juice from the meat. All the while giving me a bit of a dirty look.

I hadn't thought of saving the juices like you mention. I had so much juice from the 3 tips last night that I had to pour it out of the cutting board's trough three times.

Comment

• So what are everyone's favorite things to do with leftover tri-tip (on the strange occasion that you have leftovers)?
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                So what are everyone's favorite things to do with leftover tri-tip (on the strange occasion that you have leftovers)?
                Chili, tri-tip sandwich, steak and eggs for breakfast, tacos or enchiladas. I've made tri-tip for the sole purpose of tacos and enchiladas.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Chili, tri-tip sandwich, steak and eggs for breakfast, tacos or enchiladas. I've made tri-tip for the sole purpose of tacos and enchiladas.
                  We typically eat one tri-tip at a meal, but I've decided to always cook both in a Costco two-pack at the same time to save on fuel and to have a second meal. Tonight it was french dip sandwiches. And they were yummy.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• An entire thread about Tri-Tip? Where have I been?

I've read the entire thread...and still see you all missing something of absolute necessity when cooking the best grilling meat on earth....

The inclusion of a "citrus" in your marinade. Either OJ, Lime or Pineapple juice work remarkably well and provide an amazing base flavor to go along with the acid breaking down the meat.

Tri-Tip is about a 2-3 month meat in my house....I keep it simple...but also find that I like a marinade far more than none.

My simple marinade is very easy and excellent:

3 Cups of Citrus
                    1 Cup of Soy Sauce
                    2 fresh cloves of garlic....

Marinade all night long....24 hours if you can....

I have to add one more thing.....Tri-Tip is meant to be enjoyed with a fresh salsa....chunkier the better. If you haven't had a fresh, chunky salsa with your meat...do it....buy a fresh baguette...and go for it.

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                    We typically eat one tri-tip at a meal, but I've decided to always cook both in a Costco two-pack at the same time to save on fuel and to have a second meal. Tonight it was french dip sandwiches. And they were yummy.
                    If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by COUGZ View Post
                      An entire thread about Tri-Tip? Where have I been?

I've read the entire thread...and still see you all missing something of absolute necessity when cooking the best grilling meat on earth....

The inclusion of a "citrus" in your marinade. Either OJ, Lime or Pineapple juice work remarkably well and provide an amazing base flavor to go along with the acid breaking down the meat.

Tri-Tip is about a 2-3 month meat in my house....I keep it simple...but also find that I like a marinade far more than none.

My simple marinade is very easy and excellent:

3 Cups of Citrus
                      1 Cup of Soy Sauce
                      2 fresh cloves of garlic....

Marinade all night long....24 hours if you can....

I have to add one more thing.....Tri-Tip is meant to be enjoyed with a fresh salsa....chunkier the better. If you haven't had a fresh, chunky salsa with your meat...do it....buy a fresh baguette...and go for it.
                      I'll try a marinade next time, but you really need to get yourself some Spade L Ranch seasoning and try that. So simple, so good.

Comment

• I will give it a go....I continue to buy a bottle of Santa Maria Tri-Tip seasoning every time I'm down in Santa Barbara....that's what I use after the marinade.

The marinade provides a great deep flavor to the meat itself...the rub...a great outside seasoning.
                        If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

Comment

• I'm on my way to Manila right now. This was my going away meal last night. Just can't beat a good tri-tip.

Comment

I'm on my way to Manila right now. This was my going away meal last night. Just can't beat a good tri-tip.

Bon voyage, and I just decided on Sunday's menu.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I instantly became Pavlov's dog.

If I wasn't in Vegas this weekend I'd be making the same thing.

Comment

• I cooked tri-tip last night with some tips that had been in the freezer. I pulled them out on Friday evening and left them on the counter until I went to bed, to help them thaw faster. Two were pretty big, and the other tip was smaller. Spade L Ranch rub for a few hours before putting on the Traeger at 225*.

After about 80 minutes I checked with my BGE thermometer, and the big ones still only registered 114*. Crazy. So I ramped the temps up to 300 for 15 minutes. Checked again, and the temps still only showed 125 or so. So I checked the smaller tip, and it registered right at 140. What?? Poked the bigger ones again and now they read almost 140, when moments ago they showed way lower. Whatever, I'm out of time, so I reverse sear on the gas grill for 4 min per side.

They came out great, so I don't know why I had problems with the temps, unless maybe they weren't fully defrosted. The ends were medium-well like half the family likes, and the slices from the larger sections were rarer like the other half of the family likes. So it all worked out. It's pretty funny to see everyone bypass their typical sauces like Sweet Baby Rays and A-1 and just eat the meat in its own juices.

Comment

Working...
                                X