The Official Tri-Tip thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    That probably explains it. The meat was at 59 degrees internal when I threw it on the smoker.

Surfah--what temp do you smoke it at before you crank it?
    I smoke for an hour or so on smoke setting which is usually between 185-200 depending on outdoor temp and wind. Then I crank it to high which gets up to 450 or so until it hits my desired temp. I usually pull it around 135 and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      Interesting to see the difference in smoke ring between Surfah's and GM's tips. Surfah's seem so much more pronounced. What in the smoking process would cause that? Perhaps it's just picture quality and/or lighting?
      Surfah uses one of those pellet smokers that GM likes to mock.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I wondered if that was a possibility too, but I wasn't sure if GM had a Traeger as well.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Your eyeroll indicates a lack of knowledge in this area. 5 degrees is the difference between medium well and well done. 5 degrees can mean the difference between a good pork butt that can be pulled apart or not.

You're also commenting on the corner of the tip that cooks much faster and is far more done than the thick middle which is not as well done.
          Oh geez. I know what 5 degrees means. I also know the tri-tip you posted is at least 10 degrees past enjoyable, and probably closer to 15. It's ok, not everything I cook turns out perfect, either. But you posted it in direct response/comparison to GM (whose tri looks preferable, at least to me). The comparison opened the door for the criticism.

As for meat temp, you should employ the DH method for pleasing everybody: I pull the meat at Medium Rare to Medium. If it's not done enough for you, let me know and I'll gladly throw your portion in a skillet or back on the grill and cook any remaining flavor out of it. But not before I get my serving(s) at the right temp.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• I still move it from the smoker to the flame. I like a little flame on it before I serve. Also, how long does it take for a traeger to go from 200 to 450?
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Oh geez. I know what 5 degrees means. I also know the tri-tip you posted is at least 10 degrees past enjoyable, and probably closer to 15. It's ok, not everything I cook turns out perfect, either. But you posted it in direct response/comparison to GM (whose tri looks preferable, at least to me). The comparison opened the door for the criticism.

As for meat temp, you should employ the DH method for pleasing everybody: I pull the meat at Medium Rare to Medium. If it's not done enough for you, let me know and I'll gladly throw your portion in a skillet or back on the grill and cook any remaining flavor out of it. But not before I get my serving(s) at the right temp.
              I prefer the DDD method: if it is not done enough for you, gtfo and make your own meal. Im not pulling out a skillet to cook something again just for you.

My only question for GM was whether he cut the tip correctly. Looks like he may have cut it with the grain, not against.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I still move it from the smoker to the flame. I like a little flame on it before I serve. Also, how long does it take for a traeger to go from 200 to 450?
                Not long at all.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

That's generally what I do with larger roasts and definitely prime rib. Usually I smoke two tips at the same time because I get the Costco two pack and cook one to my liking. But this was just a small party and the middle portions were fine for me even if a bit overcooked to my liking (5 degrees cooler would have been better ).
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

They're pretty slick rigs, you just had me against the ropes on the calorie/brisket conversation. I had to find something.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I prefer the DDD method: if it is not done enough for you, gtfo and make your own meal. Im not pulling out a skillet to cook something again just for you.

My only question for GM was whether he cut the tip correctly. Looks like he may have cut it with the grain, not against.
                      If you look at the picture of the finished product, I cut up and down starting from the left side of the picture. I thought that is what the "how to carve a tritip" picture I found online said to do, but maybe I should have started on the other end.

Comment

Gross.
                        Sorry for the aside, but years ago we put on a very fancy dinner for the youth in our ward. It was presented by a recent convert who co-owned and managed The Sundance Mining Company, a nice steakhouse next to Stanford. He had a lot of his staff help, along with waiters and a sommelier (who offered a variety of sparkling ciders). The entrée was a very nicely prepared prime rib. Everything was going superbly until a young man requested ketchup for his prime rib. It was like a scene in a western when someone commits an offense in the saloon that causes everything to go silent for a minute as everyone looks on in horror. Fortunately, after a brief pause the host laughed, the music started up again, and everyone got back to their meals. "Well done" and "ketchup" are words that should never be used with excellent meat.

Comment

• Smoked tri-tip is like candy.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            Smoked tri-tip is like candy.
                            I bought another one to smoke today, but I BBQ'd all day yesterday for guests and I am a little burned out.

But, Tuesday night, we're going to eat well.

Comment

• We're doing a tri tip on our Egg tomorrow and so I came back to this thread to bone up. JL mentioned a video in this thread on carving tri tip but I didn't didn't find it and found this one on YouTube. I helped me, maybe it'll help others here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_pF4gM89t3k
                              Last edited by LA Ute; 05-17-2014, 08:33 PM.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Leftover tri-tip and eggs for breakfast.
                                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Working...
                                X