BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    I was surprised by their scoring prowess and/or our porous defense.
    They shot the ball very well, both when guarded and left open. Their big man was also good around the basket. I loved how quickly he got his shot up.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• We are not as good as I had hoped. It appears to me that Matt Carlino is not developing into a good D1 pg, perhaps it is still there but he has struggled this year when facing athletic competition. Any team that starts Cusick and Zylstra is not likely to be real good. I think BYU could be as good as they were the years they got 8 seeds if they had a healthy Collinsworth, Rogers and Demarcus Harrison were still around. BYU is as unathletic as they have been at any point in the Rose tenure. You can get around that but you better have really good shooters. BYU doesn't.

I think I underestimated Tyler Haws. To be honest it is disapointing that Haws is as good as he is and the team is still this average. I really think the key is that Carlino has to step up but he just might not be good enough to do it. For this year perhaps BYU might sneak into the tourney, but I am seriously doubting that possibility at this point in time. It looks like an NIT year.

For next year, obviously it will help if BYU lands Jabari but if they don't it could be interesting. The roster will be:
      Carlino
      Winder
      Haws
      Collinsworth
      Delgado
      Sharp
      Mika
      Austin
      Harward
      Ambrosino
      Harward
      Worthington
      ?????

I think Collinsworth and Haws are both legitimately talented college players but BYU will need either a serious recruiting coup or a couple of other players to significantly improve, and Carlino must be one of those, if they want to field a club good enough to win a game in the NCAA. I actually think there is a really decent corps of role players and BYU could be deep but they will need a couple of threats, especially offensively, if they are going to be very good.

The kid they are going to miss is Jordan Loveridge.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        We are not as good as I had hoped. It appears to me that Matt Carlino is not developing into a good D1 pg, perhaps it is still there but he has struggled this year when facing athletic competition. Any team that starts Cusick and Zylstra is not likely to be real good. I think BYU could be as good as they were the years they got 8 seeds if they had a healthy Collinsworth, Rogers and Demarcus Harrison were still around. BYU is as unathletic as they have been at any point in the Rose tenure. You can get around that but you better have really good shooters. BYU doesn't.

I think I underestimated Tyler Haws. To be honest it is disapointing that Haws is as good as he is and the team is still this average. I really think the key is that Carlino has to step up but he just might not be good enough to do it. For this year perhaps BYU might sneak into the tourney, but I am seriously doubting that possibility at this point in time. It looks like an NIT year.

For next year, obviously it will help if BYU lands Jabari but if they don't it could be interesting. The roster will be:
        Carlino
        Winder
        Haws
        Collinsworth
        Delgado
        Sharp
        Mika
        Austin
        Harward
        Ambrosino
        Harward
        Worthington
        ?????

I think Collinsworth and Haws are both legitimately talented college players but BYU will need either a serious recruiting coup or a couple of other players to significantly improve, and Carlino must be one of those, if they want to field a club good enough to win a game in the NCAA. I actually think there is a really decent corps of role players and BYU could be deep but they will need a couple of threats, especially offensively, if they are going to be very good.

The kid they are going to miss is Jordan Loveridge.
        I agree with Carlino being the key. If Carlino can get out of his slump, BYU makes the Tourney. Otherwise I believe we are NIT bound. Too bad. CAn you imagine Haws on the Sweet 16 team?

I want to punch whoever thinks missions help BYU
        ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• We're nowhere near as good as I had hoped. And you're right, any team that starts Sharp, Cusick and Zylstra is not a tournament team. Sucks. I really hoped Carlino could turn the corner and still think he may. But we need that sooner than later.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            We're nowhere near as good as I had hoped. And you're right, any team that starts Sharp, Cusick and Zylstra is not a tournament team. Sucks. I really hoped Carlino could turn the corner and still think he may. But we need that sooner than later.
            I struggle to think you can start Cusick or Zylstra just due to the fundamental neccesity of some level of athleticism needed on the perimeter to prevent teams from breaking you down, getting easy layups, loads of offensive boards or getting you and your bigs in foul trouble. However, if Sharp plays alongside a good post player he can be an adequate 4, IMO. He reminds me a bit of the same type of player Kyle Collinsworth was as true freshman, other than Sharp can't handle the ball against the press.

Lots of good role players and a to be honest next year I don't think having anyone on the court will make me cringe, but collectively they need some folks who can score so that they can focus on getting the athletes out there to defend.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I struggle to think you can start Cusick or Zylstra just due to the fundamental neccesity of some level of athleticism needed on the perimeter to prevent teams from breaking you down, getting easy layups, loads of offensive boards or getting you and your bigs in foul trouble. However, if Sharp plays alongside a good post player he can be an adequate 4, IMO. He reminds me a bit of the same type of player Kyle Collinsworth was as true freshman, other than Sharp can't handle the ball against the press.

Lots of good role players and a to be honest next year I don't think having anyone on the court will make me cringe, but collectively they need some folks who can score so that they can focus on getting the athletes out there to defend.
              I like Sharp quite a bit. And he's a great glue guy and probably the best defender on the team when he is in. You're right though, that backcourt is bad. Cusick doesn't shoot particularly well. And while game on the defensive end, can't hang with quicker guards. Plus he doesn't push the offense for us in transition enough. Zylstra is hot and cold on offense. But he is a terrible defender. And he is playing way too many minutes.

I am curious as to why Winder still isn't playing more. I understand bringing him along slowly until he gets in game shape, but he has been healthy for weeks now. What is going on there? Brock is playing almost 30 minutes a game. Winder should eat half of those minutes.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• I'm too lazy to look, if Sharp related to one that used to be a Ute? I think he went to Alta.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                  I'm too lazy to look, if Sharp related to one that used to be a Ute? I think he went to Alta.
                  He is the one that used to be a Ute.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    I'm too lazy to look, if Sharp related to one that used to be a Ute? I think he went to Alta.
                    He's an East High kid from Salt Lake. He was on the Utah team his freshman year, transferred to BYU post-mission after Krysko was hired. I don't recall whether or not that was a mutual decision but I recall that Dick Harmon did, at the time, express great enthusiasm for the kid's abilities and seemed to think he was a real steal.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      He's an East High kid from Salt Lake. He was on the Utah team his freshman year, transferred to BYU post-mission after Krysko was hired. I don't recall whether or not that was a mutual decision but I recall that Dick Harmon did, at the time, express great enthusiasm for the kid's abilities and seemed to think he was a real steal.
                      He went to Lone Peak.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Boylen really talked him up, said he was one of the best players he recruited etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          Boylen really talked him up, said he was one of the best players he recruited etc.
                          Well, it was always odd for Boylen to exaggerate anything, so....

I hope Sharp has a good career at BYU, except when he plays against Utah.

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          He went to Lone Peak.
                          I guess I assume all LDS kids named Sharp went to East High. After all, they did when I lived in Salt Lake.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Well, it was always odd for Boylen to exaggerate anything, so....

I hope Sharp has a good career at BYU, except when he plays against Utah.

I guess I assume all LDS kids named Sharp went to East High. After all, they did when I lived in Salt Lake.
                            There was a kid named Adam Sharp from East who was on the U hoops team in the late 90's and perhaps into '00 but I think he had chronic injuries and went to the medical hardship scholarship. I think you folks might be thinking of him.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Cusick doesn't shoot particularly well. And while game on the defensive end, can't hang with quicker guards. Plus he doesn't push the offense for us in transition enough.
                              Cusick is a hard worker and fine person but he has no business being BYU's PG. He doesn't have any attributes of a high-level D1 player. The blame really goes to Carlino as Cusick was never the plan.

Comment

There was a kid named Adam Sharp from East who was on the U hoops team in the late 90's and perhaps into '00 but I think he had chronic injuries and went to the medical hardship scholarship. I think you folks might be thinking of him.
                                I've just known a lot of Sharps over my long and storied life.
                                ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                                X