BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    I'm cleaning up on CB predictions so far this year.

SE Oklahoma:
    Prediction: 105-59 win by 46,
    Actual: 103-57 win by 46

Findlay:
    Prediction: 91-63 win by 28,
    Actual: 90-61 win by 29

Tennessee St:
    Prediction: 83-68 win by 15
    Actual: 81-66 win by 15

I've missed the spread by a total of 1 point over the 3 games.
    Wow. Nice job.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Carlino still needs to work on his decision-making, but I'll take his 10 assists vs 4 turnovers (2.5 assist/TO ratio is decent enough) and 50% from the field.
      I thought his decision making was pretty good last night. He pushed the ball very hard without getting out of control. He made a few dumb mistakes (entry into Davies out of position), but even on a couple of his turnovers, he made the right decision, just didn't execute the pass. I wish he could have knocked down some of those kick out three pointers.

Overall I was very encouraged by the game last night. I thought the defense played well. Sharp looked good IMO. Very active defender, knocked down a 10 footer and scored on some putbacks and layups underneath. Cusick had a terrible game. He couldn't handle the press at all and was atrocious at the line. A couple of his misses at the stripe were especially painful because they were on the front end of a 1 and 1. Obviously FT shooting and rebounding need to improve. If BYU zones for most of the year, they have to work on getting a body on someone. Especially Austin. Cleveland nailed it last night when he said he's a 6'11" guy who plays like he is 6'5". He bends over at the waist so much and plays much smaller than he is sometimes. Pope needs to work with him on his natural advantage.

TSU was a nice early game. They pushed the pace, were athletic and quick. Nice setup for the rest of this tournament. It's too bad FSU lost already. We could use a quality win with this non-conference schedule.
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I thought his decision making was pretty good last night. He pushed the ball very hard without getting out of control. He made a few dumb mistakes (entry into Davies out of position), but even on a couple of his turnovers, he made the right decision, just didn't execute the pass. I wish he could have knocked down some of those kick out three pointers.

Overall I was very encouraged by the game last night. I thought the defense played well. Sharp looked good IMO. Very active defender, knocked down a 10 footer and scored on some putbacks and layups underneath. Cusick had a terrible game. He couldn't handle the press at all and was atrocious at the line. A couple of his misses at the stripe were especially painful because they were on the front end of a 1 and 1. Obviously FT shooting and rebounding need to improve. If BYU zones for most of the year, they have to work on getting a body on someone. Especially Austin. Cleveland nailed it last night when he said he's a 6'11" guy who plays like he is 6'5". He bends over at the waist so much and plays much smaller than he is sometimes. Pope needs to work with him on his natural advantage.

TSU was a nice early game. They pushed the pace, were athletic and quick. Nice setup for the rest of this tournament. It's too bad FSU lost already. We could use a quality win with this non-conference schedule.
        Anyone know what the status of Winder is? He could make a big difference coming off the bench

Comment

• What is the deal with the WCC tourney this year? It is listed as being played Mar 6-11. I'm glad they got rid of the crazy Sunday off schedule, from last year, but Monday-Saturday seems a little excessive.

Also, no one answered my question as to why BYU was sitting on what is typically the visitors bench for the TSU game. Was that a one time only occurrence, or have they swapped sides, for some reason, this year?

EDIT: I was looking at May 2013 not March. It is still Thurs-Monday. I thought that was going to change. :nothappy:
          Last edited by Art Vandelay; 11-13-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Davies is going to have a monster year in the WCC (I expect it will be similar to Mekeli Wesley's senior season). Thaws will be the team's most consistent player. In my opinion, this team goes as far as bald Matty C can take them. The WCC has several good guards, Matt will need to hold his own against Pangos & Dellavedova (sp?), and out play the rest of the league for BYU to compete for a championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              Also, no one answered my question as to why BYU was sitting on what is typically the visitors bench for the TSU game. Was that a one time only occurrence, or have they swapped sides, for some reason, this year?
              With the new blue seats on the north side of the arena this year, the decision was made to move the scorer's table and team benches to the north side as well. So while the BYU bench is now on the right side as you watch on TV, it is still on the east end of the arena, which is the end that their locker room is located in.

Comment

I'm cleaning up on CB predictions so far this year.

SE Oklahoma:
                Prediction: 105-59 win by 46,
                Actual: 103-57 win by 46

Findlay:
                Prediction: 91-63 win by 28,
                Actual: 90-61 win by 29

Tennessee St:
                Prediction: 83-68 win by 15
                Actual: 81-66 win by 15

I've missed the spread by a total of 1 point over the 3 games.
                I fell apart against Georgia State:
                Prediction: 77-60 win by 17
                Actual: 80-62 win by 18
                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyzer Soze View Post
                  With the new blue seats on the north side of the arena this year, the decision was made to move the scorer's table and team benches to the north side as well. So while the BYU bench is now on the right side as you watch on TV, it is still on the east end of the arena, which is the end that their locker room is located in.
                  That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that.

Comment

• I don't miss the mwc at all for football, but I'm starting to really miss it for basketball. That was a fun league.

Comment

• Greetings Cougar Hoops Fans!

Last night I did a little preemptive scouting for you guys. As luck would have it, I was given free tickets to the American U v. U.San Francisco game. The game itself didn't live up to the media hype, but I enjoyed a front-row view of USF's current squad.

Executive summary: BYU can pencil in two wins against the Dons this year!

Best player on the squad is Cole Dickerson, an undersized junior who is a glass eater. He has nice anticipation on rebounds and a decent touch around the hoop. Outside of Dickerson, their PG has a nice handle but no range. Unfortunately for the great city of San Francisco this year, while the Dons have an abundance of pluck, they are severely undersized. The exception is Tao Xu, a 6'11 260 Freshman from Qingdao City, China via Haverford, PA. The kid is a little bit timid out there, but look out for him in a few years.

That's all I have for you. If you want more info on possible matchups that the Cougars can exploit send me a PM. Good luck!

* I don't know if this is the place for this sort of thing, but I can't find a WCC 2012-13 thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        Greetings Cougar Hoops Fans!

Last night I did a little preemptive scouting for you guys. As luck would have it, I was given free tickets to the American U v. U.San Francisco game. The game itself didn't live up to the media hype, but I enjoyed a front-row view of USF's current squad.

Best player on the squad is Cole Dickerson, an undersized junior who is a glass eater. He has nice anticipation on rebounds and a decent touch around the hoop. Outside of Dickerson, their PG has a nice handle but no range. Unfortunately for the great city of San Francisco this year, while the Dons have an abundance of pluck, they are severely undersized. The exception is Tao Xu, a 6'11 260 Freshman from Qingdao City, China via Haverford, PA. The kid is a little bit timid out there, but look out for him in a few years.

That's all I have for you. If you want more info on possible matchups that the Cougars can exploit send me a PM. Good luck!

* I don't know if this is the place for this sort of thing, but I can't find a WCC 2012-13 thread.
                        Thank you for your observations! No need for a WCC thread we have Highroad for that.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          Thank you for your observations! No need for a WCC thread we have Highroad for that.
                          You are most welcome!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            Greetings Cougar Hoops Fans!

Arent you a Ute fan? Nobody will believe your scouting report, least of all Coach Rose if he is reading this.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Arent you a Ute fan? Nobody will believe your scouting report, least of all Coach Rose if he is reading this.
                              I am, so I can see how some might perceive this report as tainted. Hopefully my objective tone demonstrated my lack of bias.

Also, I highly doubt that Coach Rose will ever read this. It's more likely that individual BYU players will read it in anticipation of the game.

Comment

• We really miss Dave Rice. Our team has no clue what to do with a zone defense.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X