BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Tough break for SR. He seems like a good kid. I don't know how much if any pain he is in, but "retiring" before his senior year is a very unselfish thing to do. It doesn't leave Rose guessing if, or when, he might come back. I wish nothing but the best for him.
    The team just gets smaller and smaller (I'm not talking about # of players). How deep are we at forward after SR leaves? Davies/Austin will obviously play the 5 position. Sharp doesn't give me much hope and hopefully Ambosino turns out to be decent. After that we really have no one.

I guess I should just get used to seeing Zylstra playing a little more 3 and 4 right?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      :shakesfist: I wanted to break this news!!
      You were too busy stressing over Ohio poll results.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

The team just gets smaller and smaller (I'm not talking about # of players). How deep are we at forward after SR leaves? Davies/Austin will obviously play the 5 position. Sharp doesn't give me much hope and hopefully Ambosino turns out to be decent. After that we really have no one.

I guess I should just get used to seeing Zylstra playing a little more 3 and 4 right?
        Wasn't Zylstra better in those positions anyway?
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Wasn't Zylstra better in those positions anyway?
          Yes, but back then we had Davies/Hartsock. I can't imagine him being effecrive at the 3 without the presence of Hartsock on the court. Hartsock had a way to stretch the D out a bit.

I do like our backcourt and if they can be consistent from outside then we should be fine. I just hated relying on outside shooting....without Jimmer on the floor.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My favorite memory of SR will be this magazine cover:

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Does that mean we have a scholarship for DeMarcus Harrison, now?
              With how things have gone, it seems we were a bit hasty in not bringing Harrison back. With both of those guys "retiring" due to injuries, we could have used him this year.

I wonder if Rose didn't want him back or if he didn't want to come back.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

I think it means that Haws might have to play more minutes than we would like. BYU has plenty of perimeter players in Carlino, Winder, Haws, Delgado, Cusick, Cavalry and Zylstra. The post still has Davies, Austin, Sharp, Ambrosino and Harward. Davies is good. Austin will be good but probably not until next year. I think Sharp and Abrosino will peak at average and Harward is likely not real ready to play. If either Austin or Davies get hurt BYU is in a hurtbox. I think Austin will play a great deal of minutes at the 4 and will likely get into foul trouble as a result. I think other than Austin and Davies we will not see consistent minutes for the rest and who plays will be dictated by opposing matchups. I also think Zylstra will play a bit at the 4.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                  His midrange jumper was desperately needed last year. I too am excited for basketball.
                  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-left-off.html

At the same time as Jimmermania was spreading across the nation during BYU's remarkable 32-win 2010-11 season, the kid who'd have been the starting small forward on that team was 7,000 miles away in a country he knew little about a few months earlier.

Tyler Haws admits he sometimes thinks about whether he could have helped that BYU team go even further than the Sweet 16 had he been there to help on the floor rather than getting weekly updates from his dad via email.
                  *sigh*
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• In case you guys are interested, the Blue White game is live streaming on byutv right now...

http://byutvsports.com/

Comment

• I forgot how much I loved Haws mid range game.

Comment

• Davies took a nasty fall just before half time. Hope he's alright. I haven't seen him play since.

Comment

• Also, Haws ran a mile in 5:02 only a couple months after his mission? Crazy! I wish I were 21 and a freak athlete.

Haws looks really good. Carlino is playing well, much more composed. Delgado looks lost on both sides of the court. Ambrosino had some nice turn around jumpers. Harward is decent and more athletic than I thought. Sharp had a good dunk and looks much better this year.

Comment

Davies took a nasty fall just before half time. Hope he's alright. I haven't seen him play since.
                            Jarom Jordan said he's fine, just being held out for precautionary measures. He was up in the huddles laughing during timeouts and such. I think he's okay.

Haws looks good. Like he didn't miss two years. Harward is legit and I think he can help the suddenly thin front court. Carlino seems far more patient. Josh Sharp also impressed. First look at Ambrosino and Delgado. I like Delgado. I am optimistic about this squad. I think we should be right there in the mix with Gonzaga and SMC.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gonzaga is supposed to have a great team. I hope we can win the conference this year. St Mary's was so tough last year.
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• I'd like to see if Davies has improved his outside game. I know he was trying to. It could allow us to move him to the 4 and play Austin at the 5 while playing a zone on D. Generally I think this is a good team that will be defensively weak. Hopefully Delgado can live up to his billing but I haven't seen him play. I missed the blue/white game.

Comment

Working...
                                X