BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    They did struggle initially without Medlin and Reed. They have however won 4 of 5 with the only loss coming in OT against Denver.

They are still 18-6 on the season and a team BYU will have to play well in order to beat. BYU does not have the luxury of taking any team lightly this year.

USU does not get blown out, their largest loss was by 13 points at New Mexico State and that was the game Medlin went down.

They are like Utah in the sense that they like to win ugly.
    This is all true. I have seen a good amount of USU basketball this year. Stew always gets his guys to rebound and play good D. With the way that BYU has been playing the past couple of weeks it could be challenge for us. It shouldn't be (If Haws, Davies and Carlino play at their averages), but it could be be. I guess I am hoping that we can get back on track with a decent win before Thursday.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• [YOUTUBE]HOl7Zn7aeGI[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe this should go in the Thanks Dayton thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        [YOUTUBE]HOl7Zn7aeGI[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe this should go in the Thanks Dayton thread?
        That that, you fetchin' Flyers!
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• I like how the BYU guy hucks up a full court buzzer beater even though they're up by 19.

Comment

• I'd start a new thread for this SMC game, but hey, it's probably not worth it..

Go cougs!

Comment

• Do we have a 2013-14 thread yet? Anyway, thought this was interesting. From Paul Biancardi's 5 teams to watch next season article on ESPN Insider:

Brigham Young Cougars

Why they're good
              Any time you go against BYU, you'd better be able to guard because Dave Rose's teams play fast and score with a chemistry on the floor. This season's team has seven guys playing double-figure minutes and gets contributions from up to nine guys on a given night. The Cougars average 78 points per game, which ties them for first in the West Coast Conference with Gonzaga and ranks fourth nationally.

They don't shoot well from the field, but they do from the free throw line. The Cougars make 72.9 of their attempts from the stripe, tops in the West Coast Conference. They also do a good job protecting the ball, turning it over only 12 times per game. This is despite playing at the ninth-fastest pace in Division I and the fastest in the WCC.

From a defensive standpoint, the Cougars are very strong. BYU ranks first in the conference and in the top 20 nationally for steals per game at 9.1. BYU also rebounds 72.6 percent of opponents' misses, second in the WCC.

What they need to do better
              The Cougars have trouble shooting from 3-point range, hitting only 33.3 percent of their attempts. In essence, the Cougars are a solid team this season but don't have the ability to hang with the nation's best teams.

Why they could be great next season
              The Cougars have a very good five-man recruiting class coming in next season (it currently ranks 15th in the country). It's not totally clear which of the freshmen will play right away, but as of right now it looks as though Nick Emery, Jakob Hartsock and Braiden Shaw will do their two-year missions right away and not play until 2015 while Eric Mika and Luke Worthington will play as freshmen.

Mika is the hidden gem in this group. At 6-foot-9, he's an athletic, bouncy big man who runs, finishes and can score in one-on-one situations. He is a strong rebounder who can play solid defense and protect the rim.

In addition to the incoming freshmen, guard Kyle Collinsworth -- 5.8 points and 5.1 rebounds in 25.7 minutes a night in 2010-11 -- returns from his two-year mission next season. His return, and the arrival of at least some of the freshmen, will help minimize the losses of forward Brandon Davis (18.0 points, 7.7 rebounds) and guards Brock Zylstra and Craig Cusick. Those three combine for 37.6 percent of BYU's points this season.

Because they have guard Tyler Haws' 21.2 points per game returning and strong recruits joining an already potent offense, BYU will be better from almost every spot on the floor next season. They will have many weapons and a chance to be great in 2013-14.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Do we have a 2013-14 thread yet? Anyway, thought this was interesting. From Paul Biancardi's 5 teams to watch next season article on ESPN Insider:
                He doesn't understand the mission thing. This years fantastic recruiting class will take 3 or 4 years to have much of an effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                  He doesn't understand the mission thing. This years fantastic recruiting class will take 3 or 4 years to have much of an effect.
                  He says that Hartsock, Emery and Shaw are all going straight on missions. He thinks the addition Mika and return of KC will make this team better. And frankly I agree. We'll miss Davies. But I don't think we'll miss him as much as we miss Noah this year.
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

He says that Hartsock, Emery and Shaw are all going straight on missions. He thinks the addition Mika and return of KC will make this team better. And frankly I agree. We'll miss Davies. But I don't think we'll miss him as much as we miss Noah this year.
                    18 and 8? I've said this a few times. I think people are nuts that think we'll be better without Davies. Maybe Mika will fill in perfectly, but there's a very low probability he'll be 18/8 his frosh year. One of the biggest mistakes we have as fans is believing recruiting hype and thinking new unproven guys will replace stars. There were people who believed Quezada would easily replace Unga.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      18 and 8? I've said this a few times. I think people are nuts that think we'll be better without Davies. Maybe Mika will fill in perfectly, but there's a very low probability he'll be 18/8 his frosh year. One of the biggest mistakes we have as fans is believing recruiting hype and thinking new unproven guys will replace stars. There were people who believed Quezada would easily replace Unga.
                      +100 Bazillion Gazillion

Comment

I said we'll miss Davies. But I do think we'll be a better team next year than we are this year. Do you think we'll be worse next year than this year?
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

I said we'll miss Davies. But I do think we'll be a better team next year than we are this year. Do you think we'll be worse next year than this year?
                          Unless we see a significant increase in Carlino's output (along with increased consistency) and unless our outside shooters finally figure out how to shoot better than 32% from 3 point range, next year could be even worse. Davies won't be there to take the pressure off of Haws and Haws isn't good enough yet to carry an entire team on his back.

I think the odds are 65% that we are the same or worse next year, 25% that we are just slightly better and 10% that we are significantly better.

Comment

• I don't think KC's going to make a big impact, maybe even a wash with losing Zylstra. I think there will be significant dropoff Davies to Mika. The question is how much better will the rest of them be. Carlino, Austin, and Winder didn't improve much over the previous season. Haws is a great player, but seems like he's just about tapped out the limits of his potential. I don't see us being any better next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              Unless we see a significant increase in Carlino's output (along with increased consistency) and unless our outside shooters finally figure out how to shoot better than 32% from 3 point range, next year could be even worse. Davies won't be there to take the pressure off of Haws and Haws isn't good enough yet to carry an entire team on his back.

I think the odds are 65% that we are the same or worse next year, 25% that we are just slightly better and 10% that we are significantly better.

I can't pass up this rare opportunity to agree with Indy. Mika benefits from "terrific" scorers on his team. He will not have such a luxury next year. Remember Haws is a scorer, not scorers. I think it would be a great surprise to see Mika step in and be the scorer Davies is. Therefor there will be even more opportunity to devote additional defensive pressure on Haws.

Unless magic happened on his mission, Collinsworth isn't a scorer either. Carlino, in my non expert opinion might make a good 2 guard.

I am a big time Rose fan. Not making the NCAA two years in a row won't lessen my positive feelings toward him. We are who we are. Knowing that makes me excited for the 2017-2018 season. That is if I am alive.

Comment

I don't think KC's going to make a big impact, maybe even a wash with losing Zylstra. I think there will be significant dropoff Davies to Mika. The question is how much better will the rest of them be. Carlino, Austin, and Winder didn't improve much over the previous season. Haws is a great player, but seems like he's just about tapped out the limits of his potential. I don't see us being any better next season.
                                How can you say KC and BZ will be a wash? KC is a better rebounder, passer and 10x the defender BZ is. If he plays to the level he did as a freshman he will be much better than BZ as a senior.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X