1st in rebounds
    3rd in rebounding margin
    2nd in assists
    1st in steals
    1st in turnover margin
    2nd in assist/turnover
    4th in offensive rebounds
    1st in defensive rebounds

We are however 6th in three point % and 6th in 3pt % defense.
    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Both.

1st in scoring
      5th in scoring defense
      3rd in scoring margin
      3rd in fg%
      4th in fg% defense
      1st in rebounds
      3rd in rebounding margin
      2nd in assists
      1st in steals
      1st in turnover margin
      2nd in assist/turnover
      4th in offensive rebounds
      1st in defensive rebounds

We are however 6th in three point % and 6th in 3pt % defense.
      I would interpret it the following:
      1st in scoring, 3rd in fg%
      5th in scoring defense, 4th in fg% defense
      1st in rebounds, 3rd in rebounding margin

All these point to the fact that we play up tempo and have more possessions both offense and defense, and have more of a chance to score points, give up points, and get rebounds than other teams.

When you isolate on stats that don't need to be normalized for that, you get a picture of us about where we should be:
      3rd in scoring margin
      3rd in fg%
      4th in fg% defense
      3rd in rebounding margin

Comment

• Fans who recognize they lack the talent hope there coach is the one who can make up for the difference. There are probably a few out there, but I doubt even Coach K. could win the WCC with this team.

The still think Rose, given the limitations, does a great job.

Comment

• BYU has had a couple of poor recruiting years. Combine that with missions and this is what you get. I still think they could be a better defensive team. However, there are too many walk-ons getting too much time.

I'm also of the belief that every good team is going to have some down years. That's just the way it is. I don't think this reflects poorly on Rose to me.
          "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
          —Abraham Maslow

Comment

• Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
            I'm also of the belief that every good team is going to have some down years. That's just the way it is. I don't think this reflects poorly on Rose to me.
            I tend to agree. The wise among us (pretty sure there was a public poll) knew this would be a down year for the Cougs. It happens. I have to think the coaching staff could do a better job with the defense - even in a down year, you can't give up 99 points to San Francisco at home - but the fact is, this roster just isn't very good.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              There's a gigantic range of what BYU might accomplish next year. IF
              • Carlino develops into a consistent offensive threat and learns to take care of the ball -- KIND OF, BUT NOT REALLY
              • Haws comes back not looking like a recently returned missionary -- YES
              • Rogers comes back 100% -- NO
              • Delgado can make the transition to D-1 -- NO
              • Collinsworth can rebound from multiple microfracture surgeries to be anywhere near the type of player he could have otherwise been -- NO
              • Austin continues to develop as an effective scorer and rebounder -- NO
              • Harward is the solid bench option that Austin was this year -- NO
              • Winder becomes a much more consistent shooter -- NO

Then BYU might be as good or better than this year. However, my guess is that at least half of the items above won't happen.
              OK, let's look at which of these items happened (it ain't pretty, my friends)
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Holy crap. I'm glad I missed this weekends basketball game. I am not down on this program at all though. I like what we have coming in.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• This season hasn't been all that bad anyway....Being down 2 starters to start the season...and to lose someone who could have become a solid player in Demarcus...18 wins...probably 4-5 more coming...I'll take it.

That being said...the Defense has to change...and if staff changes have to be made to reflect that...so be it...I'm not sure still what Nashiff does on the staff. We desperately need a defensive minded coach back on the staff....I'm sure we could get Dave Rice back...

With the incoming players...and 2014 off to a HUGE start with Nixon and Haws....I'm happy....if BYU can get Dastrup to commit...they will have a better class than this season.

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                  Holy crap. I'm glad I missed this weekends basketball game. I am not down on this program at all though. I like what we have coming in.
                  If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    Just because Nashif resembles a hobbit doesn't make him a bastard.

Regarding our defense, you are right. We played decent man defense and won several MWC titles. Occasionally we'd run a 2-3 zone , especially out of timeouts. Now we run a 2-3, a little 1-3-1, and once in a while play man as a curveball. I don't think our struggles are a coincidental thing. The big question: would we be doing worse playing predominantly man, considering our personnel?

Regarding our offense, I think it helps to consider that only Haws, Carlino, and Davies are legit D1 starters. And all three of them have flaws too, especially Davies. Josh Sharp should be a bench, energy type guy, the 3rd/4th big off the bench. Austin tries hard, but reminds me of a clumsy puppy who sometimes mistakes hustle for plain spazzing out. Zysltra sucks, and K-dog's argument that he sucks less than the alternatives does not change the fact that he sucks. Cusick would be a ward ball all star, but he's not effective running the point. Winder is an enigma. Delgado... I don't know who he is. Augie looks like Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's.

Bottom line, this team isn't that talented. Certainly, missing Rogers and Collinsworth due to injuries hurts. And they're not awful, they'll keep the 20 win streak alive. But they are clearly a mid-tier WCC team, not a top MWC team anymore. Hopefully this is a one year aberration, Kyle Collinsworth will help a lot. Maybe we can bury Augie and find a decent JC big man or two. I highly doubt that Mika is going to be capable of being a major frontcourt presence right away.
                    True. I'm 38 and am probably still a better defender than Zylstra. Unfortunately that means we have a lot of shitty wings and no 4s. That's why this team is struggling.

Comment

• I would love to see an analysis of the last 3 or 4 recruiting classes to show why this team is so under-talented. Off the top of my head:

1) Demarcus Harrison. Rose put a ton of recruiting effort into this kid. While I don't think we're a tournament team with him this year, he would have been an incremental upgrade over our other wings.
                      2) Collinsworth and Rogers. Losing them both has been devastating.
                      3) Loveridge. Big miss. If he's in blue we're probably in the tournament and the next two years look a lot brighter.

Who else did we miss on? Obviously this year's class with Delgado and Ambrosino haven't panned out but they seemed more like plan B or C guys to start with. The same goes for guys like Harward and Cusik.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        I would love to see an analysis of the last 3 or 4 recruiting classes to show why this team is so under-talented. Off the top of my head:

1) Demarcus Harrison. Rose put a ton of recruiting effort into this kid. While I don't think we're a tournament team with him this year, he would have been an incremental upgrade over our other wings.
                        2) Collinsworth and Rogers. Losing them both has been devastating.
                        3) Loveridge. Big miss. If he's in blue we're probably in the tournament and the next two years look a lot brighter.

Who else did we miss on? Obviously this year's class with Delgado and Ambrosino haven't panned out but they seemed more like plan B or C guys to start with. The same goes for guys like Harward and Cusik.
                        The way it seems to have always worked is that truly good LDS kids come in bunches, like every five years or so. Cleveland left Rose a nice cupboard full of talent, after he had lived a hard scrabble existence for prospects most of his time at BYU. Now BYU has just finished a recruiting drought albeit ameliorated by some real surprises from kids who vastly exceeded expectations like Jimmer, Hartsock and even Davies. For a while it looked like Rose was a magician, making silk purses out of sow's ears. Now he's got a nice haul from Lone Peak. Will Lone Peak deliver that way every year? I don't think so.

When I was in college you had Danny Ainge, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite and Devin Durrant playing together. And in Ainge's last year BYU went to the Elite 8 but took third in the WAC, after Utah (with its own LDS bounty in Vranes, Chambers and Manion) and Wyoming. Has there ever been a group of LDS college basketball players that good assembled on a court?
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          When I was in college you had Danny Ainge, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite and Devin Durrant playing together. And in Ainge's last year BYU went to the Elite 8 but took third in the WAC, after Utah (with its own LDS bounty in Vranes, Chambers and Manion) and Wyoming. Has there ever been a group of LDS college basketball players that good assembled on a court?
                          That's the only time in the last 30 years where BYU and Utah fielded elite teams simultaneously. I don't think BYU or Utah can afford to split LDS/in-state talent.

In the last 15 years Utah peaked when BYU was at a bottom and BYU peaked when Utah was at a bottom. Of course Utah was loaded with non-LDS NBA talent but had Alex Jensen and/or the Johnson brothers been at BYU the peak would have been a step or two lower.

Comment

• The jersey retirement ceremony at the half was enjoyable. I think it's great they did it while the two honorees are still alive.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Its a good thing USU is a mess right now. We need a W to get back on track before Thursday.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                Its a good thing USU is a mess right now. We need a W to get back on track before Thursday.
                                They did struggle initially without Medlin and Reed. They have however won 4 of 5 with the only loss coming in OT against Denver.

They are still 18-6 on the season and a team BYU will have to play well in order to beat. BYU does not have the luxury of taking any team lightly this year.

USU does not get blown out, their largest loss was by 13 points at New Mexico State and that was the game Medlin went down.

They are like Utah in the sense that they like to win ugly.
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X