Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: BYU hoops for 2012-2013

Did Jay Drew retract that rumor about Carlino possibly transferring? I don't see it in the article referenced.
    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
    —Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
    Did Jay Drew retract that rumor about Carlino possibly transferring? I don't see it in the article referenced.
    Looks like he edited it out.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I'm astonished there's no thread about tonight's game against 1-14 LMU. Kaufusi has played surprisingly well, despite shooting a nasty airball from the FT line. It was interesting to see Rose's former teammate, Clyde Drexler, in the stands watching his son ride pine.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm astonished there's no thread about tonight's game against 1-14 LMU. Kaufusi has played surprisingly well, despite shooting a nasty airball from the FT line. It was interesting to see Rose's former teammate, Clyde Drexler, in the stands watching his son ride pine.
    This has been a terrible game to watch. These refs have a lot to do with that. Foul after foul.

Good crowd there though. Pretty funny that there are enough BYU fans to hear the left right chant with the LMU players fouling out.

Also, Drexler's son is balding just like his dad. Poor kid.
    -Turtle

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    This has been a terrible game to watch. These refs have a lot to do with that. Foul after foul.

Good crowd there though. Pretty funny that there are enough BYU fans to hear the left right chant with the LMU players fouling out.

Also, Drexler's son is balding just like his dad. Poor kid.
    Truly an ugly game, and Carlino's nine turnovers aren't helping. But it's a win. Now if BYU can just go on a nine-game win streak... Actually, I'd be very happy with four more wins so Rose can get another 25-win season. No?

Do NIT wins count toward a coach's total? I would assume so, so Rose has a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

Do NIT wins count toward a coach's total? I would assume so, so Rose has a chance.
    Yes they do.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Yeah did you hear that the BYU fans were chanting BYU with the LMU fans interposing "SUCKS!" just like road fans do at BYU home games? That was also funny.

Very sloppy and painful game to watch. I love Dave Rose but gotta admit I don't understand some of his decisions this season: not sure why he stopped playing Josh Sharp and still don't understand why we would ever play zone defense against a team like LMU that is so inferior athletically.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yeah did you hear that the BYU fans were chanting BYU with the LMU fans interposing "SUCKS!" just like road fans do at BYU home games? That was also funny.

Very sloppy and painful game to watch. I love Dave Rose but gotta admit I don't understand some of his decisions this season: not sure why he stopped playing Josh Sharp and still don't understand why we would ever play zone defense against a team like LMU that is so inferior athletically.
    I'm having serious Dave Rose doubts after watching our defense this year. Not his best job this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I'm having serious Dave Rose doubts
    Unknown.jpeg
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Good crowd? When they panned the whole arena, the whole upper bench area was empty. It looked maybe half full.

I'm having serious Dave Rose doubts after watching our defense this year. Not his best job this year.
    I agree with you, but over on the gonzaga board the other night they were going on and on about how ours was the best zone defense that they have played all year. I will say that those posts were tough to find among all of the posts demanding that kaufusi be arrested for assault and battery.
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Good crowd? When they panned the whole arena, the whole upper bench area was empty. It looked maybe half full.
    I thought the same thing. We were actually laughing at how pathetic it was that even in a gym that size it was still less than half full. Maybe surfah was saying it was a good BYU crowd compared to the number of LMU fans there?
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

I'm giving him a pass due to the lack of talent. Haws, Davies, and erratic Carlino. After that, this team is awful with almost no potential for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I'm giving him a pass due to the lack of talent. Haws, Davies, and erratic Carlino. After that, this team is awful with almost no potential for improvement.
    Agree. But I just don't understand why our D is so bad.

Agree. But I just don't understand why our D is so bad.
    If you're upset that we don't play more man, then I'm just taking a guess, and I think it's a personnel issue. We aren't going to lock down opposing wings with Zylstra, Cusick, etc. Carlino is physically talented enough, but tends to freelance. Winder, for whatever reason, can't get consistent minutes. Delgado (I'm the biggest Delgado guy around here) can't even get a sniff. Haws is a solid but unspectacular defender.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

236689_whatchu_talkin_bout_willis.jpg

ALL-WCC teams announced:

2012-13 West Coast Conference Player of the Year
    Kelly Olynyk, Jr., F, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year
    Mike Hart, Sr., G, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year
    Stacy Davis, Fr., F, Pepperdine

2012-13 West Coast Conference Coach of the Year
    Mark Few, Gonzaga

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM

Player

Year

Pos.

School

Brandon Davies

Sr.

F

BYU

Matthew Dellavedova

Sr.

G

Saint Mary's

Cole Dickerson

Jr.

F

San Francisco

Kevin Foster

Sr.

G

Santa Clara

Elias Harris

Sr.

F

Gonzaga

Tyler Haws

So.

G

BYU

Anthony Ireland

Jr.

G

Loyola Marymount

Kelly Olynyk

Jr.

F

Gonzaga

Kevin Pangos

So.

G

Gonzaga

Marc Trasolini

Sr.

F

Santa Clara

Honorable Mention
    Christopher Anderson (San Diego); Jordan Baker (Pepperdine); Gary Bell Jr. (Gonzaga); Stacy Davis (Pepperdine); Johnny Dee (San Diego); Cody Doolin (San Francisco); Stephen Holt (Saint Mary's); Lorne Jackson (Pepperdine); Ryan Nicholas (Portland)
    *Banned*

Shouldn't Haws be considered a WCC newcomer? It was his first season in the conference....
    "Consider recording the testimony of Joseph Smith in your own voice, listening to it regularly, and sharing it with friends. Listening to the Prophet’s testimony in your own voice will help bring the witness you seek." -Neil Andersen

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    ALL-WCC teams announced:

2012-13 West Coast Conference Player of the Year
    Kelly Olynyk, Jr., F, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year
    Mike Hart, Sr., G, Gonzaga

2012-13 West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year
    Stacy Davis, Fr., F, Pepperdine

2012-13 West Coast Conference Coach of the Year
    Mark Few, Gonzaga

2012-13 ALL-WEST COAST CONFERENCE TEAM

Player

Year

Pos.

School

Brandon Davies

Sr.

F

BYU

Matthew Dellavedova

Sr.

G

Saint Mary's

Cole Dickerson

Jr.

F

San Francisco

Kevin Foster

Sr.

G

Santa Clara

Elias Harris

Sr.

F

Gonzaga

Tyler Haws

So.

G

BYU

Anthony Ireland

Jr.

G

Loyola Marymount

Kelly Olynyk

Jr.

F

Gonzaga

Kevin Pangos

So.

G

Gonzaga

Marc Trasolini

Sr.

F

Santa Clara

I'd put this team up against any other all-conference team in the nation.

edit: nvm this is two team's worth of players
    Last edited by jay santos; 03-05-2013 at 01:20 PM.

And how far would you get?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

I would pay good money to see those games as well. The WCC does not lack talent. Lacks fan support/GYM size but not talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    And how far would you get?
    it was a joke. see my edit.

I'm sad to see criticism of Rose. Early in the year he was doing a great job of covering the flaws of this team but once those flaws were exposed, the team has struggled. Losing all of the power forwards on the roster hurt this team. Losing the two best small forwards exacerbated the problem. Despite those weaknesses, this has not been a rebuilding year. This team has been on the cusp of an NCAA tournament bid until February when their weaknesses were exposed. The question now is what do we do next year at the 4 spot and how do we shore up the 3 spot. Rose has done an admirable job and I expect he will do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I'm sad to see criticism of Rose. Early in the year he was doing a great job of covering the flaws of this team but once those flaws were exposed, the team has struggled. Losing all of the power forwards on the roster hurt this team. Losing the two best small forwards exacerbated the problem. Despite those weaknesses, this has not been a rebuilding year. This team has been on the cusp of an NCAA tournament bid until February when their weaknesses were exposed. The question now is what do we do next year at the 4 spot and how do we shore up the 3 spot. Rose has done an admirable job and I expect he will do so again.
    BYU is bringing in Skyler Halford next year. That leaves one more open scholarship. The only other name I have heard bandied about is Sai Tummalla who would be a 3 for BYU but BYU could also go after a JC 4. Kyle Collinsworth can play the 4 for BYU, and in my opinion that is where I think Kyle will play next year. So I look for BYU to land another wing from JC, but I guess BYU could go and get another 4 in addition to a 3 and cut someone lose - likely Winder with Halford on board.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I have visited Europe 3 times. Nice place to visit with the exception of France in 1965. What I really liked about Europe is how old it seemed. Very layback and non competitive. I felt in any kind of confrontation I would have the upper hand. Especially in France where the men lay their heads on the women's shoulders instead of vice versa.
    -byu'71

Davies leads Reeses All-Star East team

BYU senior Brandon Davies totaled 12 points, nine rebounds and four assists to lead the East All-Stars to an 87-81 win over the West in the 2013 Reese’s Division I College All-Star Game at The Georgia Dome.

Iowa State’s Will Clyburn was named the West’s Reese’s Perfect Player of the Game as he finished with a game-high 17 points to go with eight rebounds.
    http://byucougars.com/m-basketball/d...-all-star-game

Game to be rebroadcast on Sunday at noon MDT on CBS. I already set my Genie.
    Last edited by Pelado; 04-05-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Davies named MVP of Portsmouth. That tournament earned Travis Hansen a draft pick.
    -Turtle

Davies named MVP of Portsmouth. That tournament earned Travis Hansen a draft pick.
    Portsmouth used to be much more valuable than it is now. Now every year there are NBA analysts talking about how the PIT should just be "put out of its misery" when player after player declines the invitation to go play.

But this strong showing by Davies has likely earned him an invite to the combine in Chicago, and he likely already has teams ready to invite him to workouts when they bring in better prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    BYU is bringing in Skyler Halford next year. That leaves one more open scholarship. The only other name I have heard bandied about is Sai Tummalla who would be a 3 for BYU but BYU could also go after a JC 4. Kyle Collinsworth can play the 4 for BYU, and in my opinion that is where I think Kyle will play next year. So I look for BYU to land another wing from JC, but I guess BYU could go and get another 4 in addition to a 3 and cut someone lose - likely Winder with Halford on board.
    This Sai Tummala would be a huge pickup for BYU. I think there isn't to much known about his recruiting but from what I can gather he has definite offers from ASU, BYU, Nebraska, CSU and a bunch of smaller schools. There is also interest and perhaps offers for him from Pitt, Miami, Gonzaga and a bunch of other smaller programs such as Utah. The kid is a 4.0 student and from what little I can see really mature about the whole thing. I think he is a good fit for BYU stylistically, but this kid doesn't strike me as one that is going to act fast. He will methodically wait this out while the bigger schools filter through their various options so that his field of options settles and he can pick what serves what he is looking for best. I really hope that BYU lands him, but make no mistake it would be a huge pickup and it would make a spectacular recruiting class for BYU much, much better.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I have visited Europe 3 times. Nice place to visit with the exception of France in 1965. What I really liked about Europe is how old it seemed. Very layback and non competitive. I felt in any kind of confrontation I would have the upper hand. Especially in France where the men lay their heads on the women's shoulders instead of vice versa.
    -byu'71