No announcement yet.

MEP, BRM, and Racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take an argument seriously when one discounts an entire generation. And that goes both ways. This tribal thinking is why we are in our current mess.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      That's why it's awesome to be right all the time
      Let's go Boomers!
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I can't take an argument seriously when one discounts an entire generation. And that goes both ways. This tribal thinking is why we are in our current mess.
        C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I can't take an argument seriously when one discounts an entire generation. And that goes both ways. This tribal thinking is why we are in our current mess.

Comment

The reason yall are called Baby Boomers is that if someone insults your generation, BOOM, you turn into a bunch of babies.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              The reason yall are called Baby Boomers is that if someone insults your generation, BOOM, you turn into a bunch of babies.
              Haha.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• That's a Mike Huckabee level zinger.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  That's a Mike Huckabee level zinger.
                  Another proud son of the south!
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• In all seriousness, regardless of your age, asking minorities to move with care is gonna get flack. I think we should, but, how do we frame that perspective in a way that's palatable to people who see their own being murdered. I don't know how to do it. I do know that something's got to give. Is an overreaction the other way really that bad given what's happening now? I'd really love to pick apart the lengthy ideas I shared as a way to determine what's doable and what's not, and then forward it on the politicians I know.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

In all seriousness, regardless of your age, asking minorities to move with care is gonna get flack. I think we should, but, how do we frame that perspective in a way that's palatable to people who see their own being murdered. I don't know how to do it. I do know that something's got to give. Is an overreaction the other way really that bad given what's happening now? I'd really love to pick apart the lengthy ideas I shared as a way to determine what's doable and what's not, and then forward it on the politicians I know.
                      I really don't know. I do believe that there is more to what is going on than minorities complaining about injustices (which are valid). There isn't a coherent movement, I think the description of a coalition of factions is an apt one (Bret Weinstein). I don't know if the analogy of Amalickiah stirring up the Lamanites is a good map, but it seems at least some of the components are there. As with most past grievances, the story is often co-opted by power brokers who amplify the grievance for political reasons. Hard to believe there isn't a significant amount of that going on here, from both left and right.

There are emerging power plays within the coalition. Whenever a coalition wins, it often immediately needs to establish a hierarchy to consolidate power.

This was deleted, but nothing is ever gone.

The overreaction aspect--should they just look the other way since it may be a net good--is discussed by Loury and McWhorter. Around the 9 minute mark, though the discussion up to that point is relevant also. I've seen lot of contrary data analysis on the actual prevalence of police violence which is a discrepancy I'm not likely to solve. It's an ongoing battle of data collection and misrepresentation along ideological lines and I don't have the tools or time to feel completely at peace, so I'll continue to read and listen. McWhorter makes the claim that policing has had significant improvements in the last two decades. It takes longer for stories to update inside of historically oppressed communities if that's actually the case.

Something does have to give, I'm just hoping it isn't a republic. Having a very hard time making an assessment, all familiar channels are corrupted.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post

Something does have to give, I'm just hoping it isn't a republic. Having a very hard time making an assessment, all familiar channels are corrupted.
                        I’m not worried about the Republic. I am concerned, however, about mid-to-late November. There will be violence, no matter who wins. Th3 best outcomes that I could envision involve myocardial infarction.

Comment

... Th3 best outcomes that I could envision involve myocardial infarction.
                          Don't take the easy way out. Stay healthy, wuap! We'll get through this.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Don't take the easy way out. Stay healthy, wuap! We'll get through this.
                            Not for me. I meant for those whose supporters won't accept any legitimate removal from office other than the Hand of God! (and maybe even then).

Comment

• DesNews listens to BLM.

Inside the Newsroom: What happened when we invited the leader of Black Lives Matter Utah to the editorial board

One need not agree with everything Lex Scott has to say to realize that she is sincere in her effort to bring change. She works in private, she works in tandem with the police, and she works on the street trying to bring the message forward, even when others hurt the message by causing damage during protests.

She had criticism for the Deseret News and KSL. “Why do we seek background on the individuals killed by police? Why do we run ‘mug shots’ of them?” We make criminals of the victims, she said. Did George Floyd “deserve” to die? Is a mug shot pertinent in such a case?

We continued to listen and evaluate how we cover the news.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Not for me. I meant for those whose supporters won't accept any legitimate removal from office other than the Hand of God! (and maybe even then).

This gets tossed around every four years and oddly enough the transfer of power from one party to the other happens peacefully.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X