Seattle Suuuuuuuupersonics v2.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They are talking about building this near the CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field, so parking should not be a problem.

But I have to ask, why is this facility slated to cost $400MM? That is more than either Safeco or CL Field. It seems Hansen is fronting about $280M himself, with another $200+ coming from private donors. I am glad this won't be a city- or state-funded arena, we don't need another of those (we are still paying off the Kingdome for the next 15+ years...).
    Safeco cost +500M, and that was how many years ago? Not sure what the relative cost would be in 2012 dollars.

And that's just for a single use facility, this would be multi-use. 400M doesn't seem all that crazy to me.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

If it IS the Kings, do we want to Maloofs to move them up here or would we prefer a new local ownership? I recognize the Mariners have about the worst owners in baseball, but there must be a better owner group somewere in the Seattle talent pool.
      Hansen himself would be the owner.

Comment

I thought those fields were $400 and $450, but you are correct that was '99(?). That is closer to ~$650M today. And the new Husky Field upgrade is $250M+. Again, I am just happy it won't be directly funded by the city/county/state, as the Maloofs are currently trying to get Sacto to do for the Kings.

Having a new place for NBA and NHL (and concerts?) will be nice. Key Arena is still decent, but is extremely small for an NBA arena.

If Hansen leverages himself into fronting $280M for the arena plus whatever for buying the team, will he be stretched too thin or will he be able to build a championship caliber team? He needs to work hard AND smart AND throw money in the right places to get the right set of coaches, players, etc.

Comment

This whole discussion is offensive.

I agree with the Citizens for More Important Things.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

You'll have season tickets before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Do you feel less offended knowing that the only money coming from the local government is required to be fully offset by taxes generated by the arena?

Or are you simply against the NBA, even if the funding is purely from private sources?

I will agree that construction of an arena in that area, along with Alaskan Way Viaduct demolotion, will cause horrendous traffic.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]eEj9PyA22QY[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Sounds like the full price tag is $500M.

Comment

Do you feel less offended knowing that the only money coming from the local government is required to be fully offset by taxes generated by the arena?
                    What does this mean? That they will pay a tax surcharge until the money is repaid? (I'm guessing not)
                    Or that taxes generated by the arena (however calculated) will be earmarked to repay the debt? Which really means that the taxes are being withheld from the general fund, so the public funding is never actually repaid.

If you want public funding of arena's, that's fine. But there is no real economic benefit to the community, and the funds are likely never going to be repaid--without some accounting gimmick.

Comment

Why is this thread in The Arena?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        What does this mean? That they will pay a tax surcharge until the money is repaid? (I'm guessing not)
                        Or that taxes generated by the arena (however calculated) will be earmarked to repay the debt? Which really means that the taxes are being withheld from the general fund, so the public funding is never actually repaid.

If you want public funding of arena's, that's fine. But there is no real economic benefit to the community, and the funds are likely never going to be repaid--without some accounting gimmick.
                        The taxes collected from the arena will go towards paying off the debt. Those taxes never would have been collected if there was no arena. Thus the tax payer does not carry a burden. However, more than half of the arena is being financed by private funds.

If you want to see what a new stadium can do for a community look no further than the SF Giants new stadium. That part of town was a dump. Now it's become a hot place to live and hang out.
                        "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                        —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          Why is this thread in The Arena?
                          Because it's about building an arena. Duh.

Comment

I will agree that construction of an arena in that area, along with Alaskan Way Viaduct demolotion, will cause horrendous traffic.
                            And construction for Stadium Place on top of it. If the arena happens, that area will be a nightmare for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              And construction for Stadium Place on top of it. If the arena happens, that area will be a nightmare for a while.
                              True, the next 3-4 years will be hellish. But it will be a happening place when it is complete! That area is a huge stinking armpit now but there are some fun clubs/bars/restaurants nearby. It should make Pioneer Square less sketchy at night.

Comment

Saint Christopher gets the arena deal done with the city council. Sonics are halfway back home.
                                "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                                —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Working...
                                X