Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Para los hispanohablantes

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

From an unmarried comp on FB:

Mis abuelos conocieron la Radio y tuvieron 9 Hijos; Mis Padres la TV y somos 3 hijos Yo conocí Internet y creo que aqui se acabo la Familia!
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what a lot of that is...

Kool Aid
    7Up
    Heineken
    ?
    Caesar salad with chicken?
    Hamburger
    Something with vegetables

Pa' llevar
    mofongo yuca

mof.(ongo) pulpo al ajillo (octopus in garlic)

I don't know what chiyo is. You did well on the rest.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    mofongo yuca

mof.(ongo) pulpo al ajillo (octopus in garlic)

I don't know what chiyo is. You did well on the rest.
    Don't forget, the hamburger is medium with cheese (real = royal?)
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

From FB...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Don't forget, the hamburger is medium with cheese (real = royal?)
    It seemed to me like a variant of "medium rare."
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

[YOUTUBE]sVQvWHj5NNs[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/10/158570...-el-dictionary

Very cool. Spanglish gets the nod from the RAE!

Don wuap, is there a standard for spanish-to-english subtitle translation? I only ask because I watched "[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1VBawGN85Y"]The Two Escobars (full) - YouTube[/nomedia]" this weekend, and was somewhat annoyed at what I would consider mistranslations in the subtitles. I can't remember many specifics, but it seemed like the subtitles often shortened what were otherwise perfectly translatable sentences. It usually wasn't a problem, but I felt like a few times the shortened translation changed the sentido of what was being said.

One I specifically remember was a player saying that, after a certain series of events, a player told his coach "no quiero seguir jugando" and the translation was "I told my coach, I can't play anymore". To me, saying "I don't want to continue playing" or "I don't want to play anymore" is completely different than saying "I can't play play anymore." That's just one example, but there are hundreds of those throughout the documentary.

I understand that word-for-word translation isn't helpful with a lot of phrases, but there seemed to be a lot of license taken with the translation. Is this normal?

For the record, the documentary is awesome. Completely fascinating. I was in Jr. High when the World Cup hit the U.S., and I vaguely remember hearing details about Andres Escobar's murder. However, not knowing the back story, I always had the impression that it was rabid fans who killed him out of anger.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Don wuap, is there a standard for spanish-to-english subtitle translation? I only ask because I watched "The Two Escobars (full) - YouTube" this weekend, and was somewhat annoyed at what I would consider mistranslations in the subtitles. I can't remember many specifics, but it seemed like the subtitles often shortened what were otherwise perfectly translatable sentences. It usually wasn't a problem, but I felt like a few times the shortened translation changed the sentido of what was being said.

One I specifically remember was a player saying that, after a certain series of events, a player told his coach "no quiero seguir jugando" and the translation was "I told my coach, I can't play anymore". To me, saying "I don't want to continue playing" or "I don't want to play anymore" is completely different than saying "I can't play play anymore." That's just one example, but there are hundreds of those throughout the documentary.

I understand that word-for-word translation isn't helpful with a lot of phrases, but there seemed to be a lot of license taken with the translation. Is this normal?

For the record, the documentary is awesome. Completely fascinating. I was in Jr. High when the World Cup hit the U.S., and I vaguely remember hearing details about Andres Escobar's murder. However, not knowing the back story, I always had the impression that it was rabid fans who killed him out of anger.
    No, there is not at all. And, it's maddening. For example, the American version of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown translates "¡Qué bárbaro! as "What the fuck?" A gross exaggeration of unintended vulgarity in the original. I once watched Shrek dubbed into Spanish with the Spanish subtitles on and they didn't even match. It's a hot mess and there are often Mexican, Spanish, and Argentine subtitling companies that will do a version for their national audience, and then the Region 1 companies buy the cheapest one for inclusion on their discs.

Ok, guatemaltecos, I've got a guy asking me to go over some lines in a novel he's writing. It's science fiction about fire fighters in Guatemala at a Mayan site. He wants a part to be called the Devil's Hole.

In Costa Rica we'd say "El Hueco del Diablo."

But, would Guatemalans say that, or would they use "hoyo" or "agujero?"

Definitely "hoyo."

Definitely "hoyo."
    Pura vida, mae.

Pura vida, mae.
    Bien calidad!

Definitely "hoyo."
    De acuerdo.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Un alumno mío, queriendo decir, "Pido una pizza" dijo, "Yo pedo una pizza."

Un alumno mío, queriendo decir, "Pido una pizza" dijo, "Yo pedo una pizza."

LOL
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

"En mi tiempo libre me gusta levantar presas en el gimnasio"
    Taxidermy?

Hice una encuesta a 50 chavas, ¿Que shampoo usa?, y recibí la misma respuesta: “Sal de mi baño o llamo a la policia... pervertido”

This is an "I'm A Mormon" video done entirely in Spanish. I hadn't seen one of those until today:

[YOUTUBE]U-EJYR6rdZQ#![/YOUTUBE]
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

¡ja ja ja ja ja ja!
    ― W.H. Auden

LOL, solo falta una abuela "wagging her finger"....
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    LOL, solo falta una abuela "wagging her finger"....
    I think you missed the point.

I think you missed the point.
    Just trying to keep my streak alive. Besides, I wouldn't doubt it, my spanish is pretty rusty.

I did think that the translation was not nearly as forceful as the english version, to the point I thought it was humorous.
    Last edited by lambdacoug; 01-07-2013 at 02:40 PM.
    - Howard Aiken