Curbside Consult Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Gidget wants me to ask about cough syrup for our 2 year old that had a cold that has gone into her chest. She's having trouble sleeping because of coughing fits. I say give her children's cough syrup even though it says not for use under 4. Am I endangering my child's life?
    It's not that you're endangering her life, it's that it doesn't work. Cough syrup, of any kind, has never been proven to give any benefit over placebo. Also, most have antihistamines (chlorpheniramine), which when combined with other OTC meds that parents often turn to (diphenhydramine, or Benadryl--read your labels), can be dangerous.

Some therapies with evidence behind them:
    Humidifier (probably the best)
    Increase fluids
    Honey

And then there's always the Z-pack, which works for everything, because as I've been told over and over, "As soon as I start it, I get better."
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      And then there's always the Z-pack, which works for everything, because as I've been told over and over, "As soon as I start it, I get better."
      When I was a 3rd year student, I had a terrible sore throat with pustules on my tonsils. After about a week of misery, I went to the urgent care and got a Z-pack. I felt better within 24 hours.

The urgent care called me a few days later and told me I had mono.

ps- mono sucks

pss- I also took one of my wife's Percocets before I finally broke down and went to the urgent care. That thing knocked me for a huge loop. I guess I'd make a pretty weak junkie.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post

It was a Pyrric victory for the face and neck however.
        +10 for using this phrase.
        +10 for capitalizing Pyrrhic.

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
          I can't remember the last time I wore single gloves in a case - maybe it's just an ortho thing. Even with double gloves I end up occasionally with a tear through both layers.
          Maybe it is the risk of joint infection vs wound infection. I'm not a big fan of the double glove, although my hospital has gone latex-free and they now have these blue biogel under gloves that are very nice for double gloving.
          "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            +10 for using this phrase.
            +10 for capitalizing Pyrrhic.
            Unfortunately, -20 for misspelling Pyrrhic. All in all, a break even phrase for SJS.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
              Maybe it is the risk of joint infection vs wound infection. I'm not a big fan of the double glove, although my hospital has gone latex-free and they now have these blue biogel under gloves that are very nice for double gloving.
              Or maybe it's the shredding ability of shards of bone.
              Which is why I have no problem double-gloving on chest tubes. I hate sticking my finger through HIV/Hep C-infested (I'm sure) broken ribs/innoculators.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                Or maybe it's the shredding ability of shards of bone.
                Which is why I have no problem double-gloving on chest tubes. I hate sticking my finger through HIV/Hep C-infested (I'm sure) broken ribs/innoculators.
                My ER docs don't place chest tubes; that is always a surgery consult. Because of the litigious nature where I live, most everything is "consult surgery", "consult neuro". Now that we have 24 hour IR coverage, LPs are now done by IR (this is good for me as I learned how to do them under fluoro).

It is a sad state of medicine where we just dump the liability on each other.

Comment

My ER docs don't place chest tubes; that is always a surgery consult. Because of the litigious nature where I live, most everything is "consult surgery", "consult neuro". Now that we have 24 hour IR coverage, LPs are now done by IR (this is good for me as I learned how to do them under fluoro).

It is a sad state of medicine where we just dump the liability on each other.
                  LP's done by IR with fluoro, WTF?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
                    LP's done by IR with fluoro, WTF?!?
                    I'm not kidding, at all. Neuro no longer does them, either. Having 24 hour IR coverage has changed a lot here. Massive GI bleeders don't necessitate open lap anymore. Angiography is the latest.

Good thing for me, though, is I have some really cool IR guys that have trained me to do them (and US guided procedures as well). It is so so so easy to tap an 85 year-old female with severe osteoporosis with imaging compared to blindly. Honestly, if you can operate a laparoscope then you can easily operate a spinal needle with fluoro.

Comment

• DoctorCoug: you're such a goofball.
                      That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

• I'm going to forgo a lengthy McDonald's story and just say that I could make 12 regulars, start-to-finish, in 52 seconds, including toasting the buns, cooking the meat, mustard, ketchup, pickle, onion, cheese, pulling the patties and dropping the heels onto the made sandwiches on the tray.
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                          DoctorCoug: you're such a goofball.

I have an enormous amount of respect for IR. those guys do some amazing things and I'm happy they taught me to do some of the easier stuff (US guides lines). I'm really glad we have them.

I do think it is a sad lot that medicine is passing up on LPs because of liability issues. The ER patient jumping off the bed needing an LP will never be still enough for a fluoro guided LP. This blind skill is still needed.

Comment

This blind skill is still needed.
                            You just stick the needle in a few times till fluid comes out. Stop being so dramatic.
                            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

• Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                              You just stick the needle in a few times till fluid comes out. Stop being so dramatic.
                              Maybe my skills still suck, but I have the toughest time on elderly demented women.

Comment

• I can't imagine a place where ER docs routinely consult out LPs. And I've worked in all sizes of hospitals, including a trauma center in one of the worst malpractice areas in the country. Your hospital is either screwed up or you're only seeing the ones that are being sent out. It would be beyond stupid, both from a financial and a patient flow standpoint, to call radiology for all LPs.
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X