Curbside Consult Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    What I did was call the Sherriff and contacted Animal Control. They verified that the dog was up to date and kept it in lockdown until tests were run. Anything to inconvenience the owner.
    Same with me, and I was impressed with how fast and thorough the response was. I saw my primary care doc just to be safe (the German Shepherd inflicted a couple of puncture wound in my lower leg) and because both the dog and I (tetanus) were up to date with our shots, I was fine. But as ER mentioned, rinse it thoroughly.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Is there any reason to use hydrogen peroxide at home (in a healthcare sense)?
      Not that I can think of.
      To wash blood out of clothing?
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Shoot the dog, gut it, find the liver. If it's brown, you should be ok.
        This made me laugh.
        A few weeks ago, we had to arrange for a dog to be decapitated and his head to be sent in to the state lab.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Not that I can think of.
          To wash blood out of clothing?
          Can you educate me on the reasons why it is bad to use to clean out wounds? This was a staple of my mother and grandmother.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            Can you educate me on the reasons why it is bad to use to clean out wounds? This was a staple of my mother and grandmother.
            It kills healthy tissue. There are millions of bacteria on every wound and you can't possibly kill all of these. Your best defense against bacteria is well-perfused healthy tissue. Yes, the hydrogen peroxide will kill a lot of bacteria but it also lays waste to ALL of your superficial cells--your best defense and barrier against infection. It also creates all kinds of free radicals (it's an oxidizer)--we don't really know how important these are or what role they play, but if you ever pay attention to your antioxidant intake, you're demonstrating your belief that they're bad.
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Good hell, I had a horrible cold last week and I'm still dealing with the aftermath. I feel like there's a big air bubble behind my right eardrum (yeah, I know someone could tell a pretty good joke off that statement). I would be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for my eustachian tube to just clear the eff out (I'm assuming it's a clogged tube).
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

It kills healthy tissue.
                Besides, peroxide hurts.

Dilution is the solution to pollution, wuap.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• About 6 weeks ago I had a patient with a bite. She saw me 12 hours after the bite and had streaks upbher arm, fever, tachycardia. I smashed her with fluids and abx. She developed septic shock and multi organ failure. She grew pasturela in her blood, which is what I expected, so she survived without major morbidity, barely.

So if you develop red streaks, beware.

via a galaxy s3 far far away
                  "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                    About 6 weeks ago I had a patient with a bite. She saw me 12 hours after the bite and had streaks upbher arm, fever, tachycardia. I smashed her with fluids and abx. She developed septic shock and multi organ failure. She grew pasturela in her blood, which is what I expected, so she survived without major morbidity, barely.

Well, from what he posted, I think he should get checked for blastomycosis.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Dear doctorcoug:

What happened with the fecal transplant? Did the patient decide not to go through with it?

Comment

It kills healthy tissue. There are millions of bacteria on every wound and you can't possibly kill all of these. Your best defense against bacteria is well-perfused healthy tissue. Yes, the hydrogen peroxide will kill a lot of bacteria but it also lays waste to ALL of your superficial cells--your best defense and barrier against infection. It also creates all kinds of free radicals (it's an oxidizer)--we don't really know how important these are or what role they play, but if you ever pay attention to your antioxidant intake, you're demonstrating your belief that they're bad.
                        What about my peroxide contact lens cleaner? Am I frying my eyeballs?
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          Besides, peroxide hurts.

Dilution is the solution to pollution, wuap.
                          Peroxide never hurts, that's why my parents always used it. I've used it on my kids skinned knees. I will stop now. Is Bactine worth a damn? What about Betadyne?
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            What about my peroxide contact lens cleaner? Am I frying my eyeballs?
                            I didn't know there was peroxide in lens cleaner. It makes some sense there because it's not killing healthy tissue (assuming you're not putting them directly in your eyes....).

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            Peroxide never hurts, that's why my parents always used it. I've used it on my kids skinned knees. I will stop now. Is Bactine worth a damn? What about Betadyne?
                            Water. Water. More water. SJS may disagree with me here, but the plastic surgeons taught me that Betadyne does more harm than good on wounds. Skin prep for surgery is a different matter.
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                              About 6 weeks ago I had a patient with a bite. She saw me 12 hours after the bite and had streaks upbher arm, fever, tachycardia. I smashed her with fluids and abx. She developed septic shock and multi organ failure. She grew pasturela in her blood, which is what I expected, so she survived without major morbidity, barely.

Pasteurella sepsis in an otherwise healthy patient? I'm guessing that's publishable.

You're like the Soonercoug of the medical community.

But yes, red streaks from wound=bad.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Water. Water. More water. SJS may disagree with me here, but the plastic surgeons taught me that Betadyne does more harm than good on wounds. Skin prep for surgery is a different matter.
                                Iodine in open wounds does the same thing as peroxide - basically kills living cells/tissues. Water and then more water is best. If you think you've washed the wound enough, do another liter of water.

As a side note, I had a patient swear that drinking a teaspoon of Hydrogen of Peroxide daily was the secret to a long and healthy life.
                                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Working...
                                X