Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you are over weight

Default If you are over weight

Please change yourself today, dont wait until you get diabetes or a heart condition to make you want to change..

I waited until its too late and now I am hurting and struggling to stay out of pain every day.

Don't wait, but also don't give up. It's never too late as long as you have a heartbeat.

You can control diabetes with diet and exercise and reverse some of its effect.

I have 2 uncles that have diabetes. The one watched his diet and exercise and has had a great life.

The other didn't and has had trouble with his health. There have been times that he has tried to do things right, though. A few years ago he and his wife rode their bikes across Canada. It made for a remarkable improvement. His insulin levels were better and his health improved dramatically. He had been doing better off and on since then and this last summer he set out to ride across the country in the other direction. Unfortunately a few days into the excursion he had a stroke. He has has more strokes since then but is recovering.

Seeing these 2 has been good for me to see what a difference managing your lifestyle makes.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Don't wait, but also don't give up. It's never too late as long as you have a heartbeat.

You can control diabetes with diet and exercise and reverse some of its effect.

I have 2 uncles that have diabetes. The one watched his diet and exercise and has had a great life.

The other didn't and has had trouble with his health. There have been times that he has tried to do things right, though. A few years ago he and his wife rode their bikes across Canada. It made for a remarkable improvement. His insulin levels were better and his health improved dramatically. He had been doing better off and on since then and this last summer he set out to ride across the country in the other direction. Unfortunately a few days into the excursion he had a stroke. He has has more strokes since then but is recovering.

Seeing these 2 has been good for me to see what a difference managing your lifestyle makes.
    I am one of those - It took about 2 yrs after diagnosis with diabetes, but I am now completely off of meds and religiously walk (everyday) I also lost about 130 lbs ( however I put about 30 back on and am now working to get it back off)
    Now I really wish I had taken it seriously earlier

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar

95% of morbidly obese people who attempt to achieve significant weight loss by diet and exercise alone will fail. Mainly because they cannot maintain a healthy lifestyle after losing weight (most don't even make it that far).

Of course, morbid obesity is a surgical disease, with stunningly good responses to hypertension and diabetes after bariatric surgery. I've seen people on twenty meds go down to two. I've seen insulin dependent diabetics not only get off insulin, but get off diabetes meds all together.

While there are certainly issues with any surgical procedures (rearranging your internal plumbing is anything but benign), bariatric surgery can get a person healthy.
    Last edited by San Juan Sun; 02-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Sorry about your pain and challenges, Buckaroo. About 20 years ago there was a big guy in my ward (big in height and girth) who was diagnosed with diabetes. He was probably 60-ish or so at the time. He went on a diet and exercise plan and a year or so later had really slimmed down and was no longer diabetic. He was even able to climb to the top of Timpanogos. I still see him around, and he's kept the weight off pretty well. Good luck to all those who struggle with that kind of thing.

Here's a very interesting story on Jared Lorenzen, former Kentucky QB, and his battle with weight. The reporter is also someone who weighs over 400, which provides an interesting perspective on the issue. As someone who frequently looks at my 300+ lb dad and wonders how much longer he'll defy the odds, I found this very interesting:

Most people have something in their lives that they can't beat back with willpower alone. But when you're fat, your problem is obvious to the world. And here's one difference between having a problem with food and having one with cigarettes or booze or drugs: You can't quit cold turkey. You have to eat something.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...-battle-weight
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Jenna Jameson slams fat shamers after she's ridiculed for weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post

don't let napper see this, it might be the last straw
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

im not overweight.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by US Magazine
    “Posting this to all you fat shamers...Yes, I gained weight, reasons that are personal...But attacking someone over their weight is really petty, I pride myself in being a well rounded human being...Thick or thin,” wrote the former Playboy model
    Looks like she got an expungement.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    im not overweight.
    You are under-tall.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I can get over the fat, but what did she do to her face?

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Fat injections
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Come on. It not so much what she did to her face as much as what others did to her face.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

It was for personal reasons!!!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Come on. It not so much what she did to her face as much as what others did to her face.

For loosing weight determination is the important factor if you have strong determination loosing weight is not a problem I loose 14 pounds in just 3 months and now I am feeling much better.

Losing weight is easy. Keeping the weight off for more than 12 months is incredibly difficult.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I gave up all refined sugar for the month of October, went on a binge fest at about 9 pm last night figuring I had made it a month. Dropped about 20 lbs and really didn't miss the sugar after about a week. Now I need something to focus on for November.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I gave up all refined sugar for the month of October, went on a binge fest at about 9 pm last night figuring I had made it a month. Dropped about 20 lbs and really didn't miss the sugar after about a week. Now I need something to focus on for November.
    Bread.

Not sure of your current consumption but that has been my biggest struggle. A slice of pizza every great once in a while keeps my spirits up otherwise it's something I have to avoid almost completely.

Nice job, btw.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Losing weight is easy. Keeping the weight off for more than 12 months is incredibly difficult.
    With each decade, keeping to an optimum weight is more difficult.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Bread.

Not sure of your current consumption but that has been my biggest struggle. A slice of pizza every great once in a while keeps my spirits up otherwise it's something I have to avoid almost completely.

Nice job, btw.
    Yeah bread is jammed full of sugar, I watched the doc Fed Up and that kind of motivated me to try it.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

what do you mean by refined sugar? Did it include avoiding all products that have refined sugar, or just not eating the good ole C&H pure cane sugar from Hawaii?
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    what do you mean by refined sugar? Did it include avoiding all products that have refined sugar, or just not eating the good ole C&H pure cane sugar from Hawaii?
    apparently it includes not eating bread.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I had a bet with one of the guys in the office and I had to drop about five pounds during October to win. I cut out candy, soda and just junk and the lb's came off and like you after about a week I didn't really miss it. He doubled down so I've got to lose another five during November and this is going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by glen123 View Post
    For loosing weight determination is the important factor if you have strong determination loosing weight is not a problem I loose 14 pounds in just 3 months and now I am feeling much better.
    My problem is finding the determination. Where do I find it?
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    Anything that the ingredients included sugar, fructose, corn syrup, all the other names of sugars.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

The one marked healthy seems like it's just as dead as the other one.

https://twitter.com/DrMikeSimpson/st...594515969?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Reminds me of some of the meats I smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    95% of morbidly obese people who attempt to achieve significant weight loss by diet and exercise alone will fail. Mainly because they cannot maintain a healthy lifestyle after losing weight (most don't even make it that far).

Of course, morbid obesity is a surgical disease, with stunningly good responses to hypertension and diabetes after bariatric surgery. I've seen people on twenty meds go down to two. I've seen insulin dependent diabetics not only get off insulin, but get off diabetes meds all together.

While there are certainly issues with any surgical procedures (rearranging your internal plumbing is anything but benign), bariatric surgery can get a person healthy.
    If by "diet" you are talking about calorie restriction, those numbers are accurate for everyone, not just the morbidly obese.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster